It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
(female)

California Ann HB User
I'm home

Hello all,

Just an update. Had a double mastectomy with node removal on Monday. Very little pain. My biggest problem is I can do nothing but sit and sleep for at least 2 weeks. My laptop is ok because it is small and light and I can read and crotchet if I don't pull on the yarn. It's a good thing my husband loves me because he has to do everything. I will not have any path reports until I go back next Monday. Hopefully I will have the drains removed then and I will be referred to an Oncologist. I was hoping not to have chemo but it seems I will probably have to have a light dose. I was really surprised at how much tissue the remove. My chest is pretty sunken in. Oh well at my age the perkeyness was pretty much a thing of the past anyway. At least I should be cancer free. Hopefully I will be up to the 3 day walk. I am sure going to try.

Ann

Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
Re: I'm home

Welcome Home

I am glad the surgery went well. Be good to yourself and let your husband do everything. Pay back is great!!!

Last edited by shisslak; 04-30-2009 at 09:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
(female)

GBug HB User

Ann - Glad you aren't having any pain. Best wishes...just rest and take care of yourself.

The most important thing is the cancer is gone! A friend of mine had a light dose of chemo about 8 years ago. She had reconstruction because she elected a double mast. She is doing great, just as you will be before long.

Remember...positive thoughts! Just enjoy your hubby taking care of you. I know it's tough for us women since we're normally the care givers but try to enjoy it!

Best wishes!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

HI Ann,
I was catching up with posts and came across your's and am wondering how you're making out?
are you feeling any better?
Hope you are doing better and are able to do more.
I know the feeling of not being able to do much and have to rely on our men to do the work for us.
it's horrible isn't it? we're used to doing the caring, so it's hard for us to accept the help when we need it.
just accept it when you can so that you can heal up quick.
hope you were able to rent some good movies and take out some good books from the library.
If I wind up having to have major surgery like you, that's what I will chose to do for my recovery.
good luck with the chemo too.

sincerely,
Linda

Old 05-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
(female)

California Ann HB User

Linda,

Hello, Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to my computer. We have been away from civilization for a while. We went to the mountains camping. No phone, tv, or internet. It was wonderful.

Anyway I am doing great. I am still having some fluid build up on the right
(cancer side) and have to have it drained weekly. But it is nothing. I go in this week for a port in my chest for the chemo but they will not start chemo until the fluid stops building up.

I think I am ready but every once in a while my emotions sneak up and tries to escape. I am finding that my biggest fear is loosing my hair. I have a prescription for a wig and I am checking that out this week. I live in a small town in N CA and have to drive 125 miles for almost everything I do. So I try to get everything scheduled on the same day.

I am very lucky the 3 major doctors in my care are all just amazing. I think I would drive around the world to be able to keep them. I truly am blessed.
Everything I am doing now is preventative. I am choosing to do it so with the hopes of growing old with my husband and watching my grandchildren grow up.

Thanks for asking,

Ann

Old 05-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

Hi Ann,
Hope you had an eventful time camping. sounds like what the dr.might order at a time like this. I'd like to go camping myself. My companion and I have talked about it, but it's a matter of having the time to do it because he is the care taker for his father who is in a wheel chair due to his second stroke. we aren't able to get out very often.
so it's something to look forward to.
I am happy to hear how good you're handling everything. you sound like a very positive woman which is needed in any event of our lives. whether it be tragic or not. They say having a positive mind is what keeps us healthy.
How did you find out about your diagnosis? have you had a history of breast problems or dense breasts before your diagnosis?
At the end of your post, you mentioned everything that you're doing now is preventative. such as?
I hope you don't mind me asking so many questions. I have so much to learn and the best way is to learn from the people who directly experienced it themselves.
My bilateral biopsy is on next Thursday and asked some woman what to expect from the core needle biopsy- ultra sound guided and their answers seemed to be pretty much the same, that it was a breeze. I'm not very good with pain and have a very low tolerance to it.
Thank you for sharing and I'm glad to hear you're doing well.

sincerely,
Linda

Closed Thread