It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
(female)

omeara66 HB User
Tiny clusters of micro punctate calcifications how quickly can they change

I am 42 years old, and had my first mammograhm on 5/30/08, and was called back for further 90 degree mag views. My first mamo showed a cluster of tiny punctate micro calcifications in my anterior left breast. The second closer views confirmed this. I was asked to return in six months for close monitoring. I went back in 12/08, and was told the calsifications were still there, but there was no change. I have another 6 month appointment coming up at the end of this month. My question is this, eventually given the description of the calcifications being tiny clusters of punctate calcifications is it more likely that ths type of calc. will eventualy one day show up on my mamo as spreading, or changing?

Last edited by omeara66; 05-06-2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 05-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
(female)

shyloe HB User
Re: Tiny clusters of micro punctate calcifications how quickly can they change

Hi... now I don't want to scare you or anything because I'm sure that they know more than I but the first time I had a cluster of calcifications show up in my mammogram I was given a biopsy and diagnosed with DCIS. This was in October last year. I've since had a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction and radiation.

Of course this is just my story and we are all very different and I don't know of any other peoples stories with calcifications, only my own. And there maybe more than one type of calcification... like I said I only know what I went through and what I was told at the time. I really really don't want to scare you or anything but I think that I would push for a biopsy or discuss the option of it with them further...

Good luck
x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
(female)

omeara66 HB User

Hi shylo,

Thank you so much for your e-mail. My mom wanted me to have the biopsy done last year, but the Dr. reading my films had explained to me, that although the tiny micro clusters are suspicious, and a 50/50 chance that this would be malignant he felt it would be in my best interest to not put me through a very painful procedure (needle biopsy) when there is a good chance that they may not be able to get to the clusters to sample. I think he said that because my boobs are very small. The one thing that sticks in my head that he had said to me, which triggered me posting the question, will the clusters eventually change was that he said, If the time comes for a biopsy, and it is confirmed to be early stages of breast cancer, he said, It will be in the early stages that you will be just getting out of the gate". My immediate thought was, "I dont even want to get to the gate, never mind heading out. I did get a second opinion to ease my moms worries. A what was saposed to be a quick second opinion turned into this Dr. thinking that it was ok to wait 6 months to repeat the films, however he thought I could have Pagetts disease, which is another form of breast cancer. He insisted on a biopsy in the office before I left that day. That biopsy came back negative. Do you mind if I ask you what byraids they catorgorized your films? 0-5 Mine was a 3- suspicious probably benign, and to be watched closely. Does any of this sound familiar? I'm glad that that they caught yours early and you are doing well. Thank you again for your support, I really do appreciate your support.

X

Old 05-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Since they have started using the BIRAD system, I have always been a BIRAD 3. I think you qualify for a BIRAD 3 when you have some pathology that requires the next radiologist who reads your films to look extra hard for any changes. I have micro calcifications and also a good size fibroadenoma. I also had one lumpectomy for a mass that came back with atypical cells and two mri breast biopsies that came back negative. My rule of thumb when it come to breast health is "what makes you comfortable" If you are comfortable with a 6 month wait, than wait the 6 months. If not, than either insist on the biopsy or get a second opinion. Do you like this surgeon and feel comfortable with his/her advice?
Do you live in Quincy MA?

Old 05-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
(female)

omeara66 HB User

Hi Shisslak,
Sorry for the late response. I also suffer with migrain headaches and have been laid up for a bit. Once feeling better, it's always a rush just to catch up on everyday choires of life. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. My follow up films are this Wed. and I'm leanning towards the biopsy, more so not out of fear, but rather timimg. IF, there is something that needs to be adressed now would be the time as my youngest girl who is ten will be out of school soon and being a single mom of two, and working full time, time and planning is always important. I guess I will wait to hear what the Drs says after looking things over and see how I feel then. I will let you know Wed. how things turn out. Have a great weekend, and thank you again for your support.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
Re: macro calcifications how quickly can they change

I had microcalcifications many years ago. Presented them to a surgeon. He told me to leave them alone as they didn't look like the ones that would suggest malignancy. There are some doctors who would say to operate ASAP. A few years later, on my other breast I had some calcifications analyzed. I had a stereotactic biopsy which WAS NOT bad. It turned out the calcifications were benign and since then I've relaxed a lot.
So do what your heart tells you to do.

Closed Thread