It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
(female)

kathryn3939 HB User
Dr. found a pea sized lump in my breast today...??

My gyn found a pea sized lump in my left breast today. On the outside between the nipple and armpit.

Breast cancer has never been a thought that I thought would/could be about me! She said...

'There's not a lump like it in the other breast'

'I've been doing this a long time...'

She wrote a script for me to have ultrasound, mri, biopsy....

My last mammo was in Sept of 08 and was 'normal'

My question is...Has anyone else had a day like I had today, and had everything turn out to be 'nothing'???

I feel numb and sad...

Thank you in advance for any help,
Kathryn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
(female)

luvdgs HB User
Re: Dr. found a pea sized lump in my breast today...??

Hi Kathryn, Yes, I've had the same experience. This happened several times to me and each time I was beyond myself as I have an anxiety disorder. Try not to let it get to you as I did. In may case it turned out to be cystic disease. Most breast lumps are benign. I know several women who had the same thing, benign fibrocystic disease. Just get the tests done and you'll do just fine. God bless.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
(female)

kathryn3939 HB User

Bless you for your reply...

I've had fibrocystic breasts most of my life...When I was 36 I had a hysterectomy, and am 53 now. It seemed that the fibrocystic issue subsided as a result, and I had fewer pelvic exams and breast 'feelings' as well. 'Breast feelings'...I mean exams.

Am alarmed by her finding this so quickly,,,as she seemed so sure of herself.

I've tried to 'find' the hard pea since I've been home tonight, and when I do, it's so very, very obvious....otherwise, I feel and feel with my arm behind my head and can not find it...But when I do, omg...there it is. It is not easy to find!

Not a big lumpy bulge, but a smallish hard 'pea'.

I'm trying to be calm about it.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate any thoughts from women who have walked in this world.

Kathryn

Old 06-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
(female)

donnamae HB User

Hi Kathryn, I too have been to see my obgyn last week as well and she found a bb size lump in my left breast also about the same place as you were saying yours is. I know how you are feeling cos I am having the same feelings right now. There is breast cancer in my family--my mom is a survivor. I am only 42 for god sake and I am saying why me and why now? I went for the mamgram and ultrasound on friday and I am waiting for the results this week. My prayers are with you and its nice to talk to others that have been through this to help in coping with it. I have had this scare once before about 7 - 10 years ago and it turned out to be nothing but you wonder when that nothing is going to turn out to be something. I am scared to death of the chemo treatments-getting sick, losing the hair and so forth.

When will you know what your results are?

Old 06-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
(female)

kathryn3939 HB User

I had the mammogram and ultrasound done last Friday, and will have an MRI done next Monday.

They felt there was not a problem after seeing the mammogram and ultrasound, but are doing the MRI anyway...(my sister had BC when she was 50).

I feel very fortunate thus far, and I hope your results turn out well!

I found it odd that the doctor wrote a script for everything, including a biopsy, and yet the imaging was not positive, (still praying the MRI is going to be normal)!

Bright blessings...

Old 06-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
(female)

luvdgs HB User

Breast cancer doesn't automatically mean chemo or radiation. My sister-in-law is having 2 malignant tumors in a breast removed a week from tomorrow. Her surgeon said she will not need either one, chemo or radiation. They will remove 3 lymph nodes just to stay on the safe side. The tumors are contained.

Every woman I know, including myself!, who have found a lump automatically believe "THIS IS THE ONE!" We just know that it's cancer, yet, 90% of lumps are benign. It's just a 'woman thing.' LOL!

My friend's doctor/radiologist missed a lump during a mamogram and 3 years later found a golf ball size malignant tumor. This was 9 years ago! Medicine has come a long ways and breast cancer no automatically mean death, chemo, radiation, etc. So think positive, pray, and know that you are not alone. God bless.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
(female)

donnamae HB User

Wow Kathryn Im being sent for an MRI also this Friday. I got a letter toaday from the hospital that I had the test done at and it said that the Mamogram and ultrasound demonstrated a finding whch requires a MRI study in order to complete the evaluation. So that is kinda scarey! Did you get your results of the MRI yet? Best wishes to you for good results.

And thanks luvdgs for your kind words and support. That is great that your sister-in-law doesn't have to have any treatment. My mom had a lumpectomy done 10 years ago and I think a few nodes removed but she had to have both. Do you know why she doesn't have to have the treatments?

Closed Thread