It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
(female)

Princess B HB User
mammogram results- need to be concerned?

Breast tissue is heterogeneously dense. There is a 1.2 cm round, lobulated mass with well-defined margins in the right breast at the 10 o'clock anterior position. the breasts contain fatty and fibroglandular tissue. in the areas of dense fibroglandular tissue, noncalcified lesions might be obscured.

What does this mean really??

Old 07-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User
Re: mammogram results- need to be concerned?

Sounds like they will want to at least do an ultrasound for further checking, maybe a biopsy. Please don't panic!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
(female)

SkyKing HB User

There are many ways to verify what is going on in your breasts. I went for years (9) getting mammograms...ultra sound. Come back next year....once in awhile a needle biopsy. It got to be routine. In 1998 I went to a new Obgyn and she did the needle aspiration but did not follow through with the testing of what she drew out. Sad to say that was the year it should have been done and I did not know until the next year she did not follow through.
I have heard that Thermography is a more realiable way of looking at the breast but hard to find. An MRI is also another possibility and more accurate but $$$. Digital is standard now and a good technician is a must. More than one pair of eyes....
The one thing that I would never have done, had I known what it was about, was a core biopsy. They punch holes in what they are "working" on with a thing that reminded me of a hollow pen refill. Bigger holes than a fine needle aspiration. Very painful and punching holes it what could possibly be "in situ" (contained) is not a good idea in my book. Some medical people say questionable that it leaks and others say ..could be true. I feel that what little bit was in my lymph node was what" leaked out". Intuition, call it whatever but I feel strongly about it.
If you have insurance and it really is questionable after MRI or whatever you chose....a surgical biopsy(get out the lump) is something I would consider in light of all the years I "watched and waited"....hind sight changes everything.
Talk to and find out who has the best reputation in your area. Two opinions if possible. There are more and more doctors who work with both traditional and alternative modalities.
Surgery is no little deal but I can say that the surgical biopsy, in and out was better than the core biopsy. Just my opinion.
You could be fine but you have dense difficult breast to read so you need to find out the most accurate information. You have an area of concern. Either way the smart thing to do would be educate yourself. All healing is about you finding the team to assist "you". You are key.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
(female)

ritualangst HB User

as a two time breast cancer survivor i do know "round" and "well defined" are both good things you want to see on your report- also "fatty" and "fibroglandular" don't send up too many red flags BUT- and with breast cancer there is always a BUT- any mammogram that shows something suspicious does indeed need a follow up- i believe the poster mentioned a breast ultra sound and this is a good start- a test with more definition is a breast MRI but that is not ususally done unless they see something of concern on the ultra sound so you need to take it one minute at a time- one day at a time and if needed one week at a time- do not get ahead of yourself on the fear factor- if you post here often keep us updated on the results and it you need a biopsy i can offer alot of advice about that as well- remember- everyone's cancer journey is totally different- do not compare what happenend to one person to what is happening to you - **********-

The following user gives a hug of support to ritualangst:
kgsmith (01-10-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
(female)

kgsmith HB User

Thanks for your insight. I had a mammogram with an ultrasound after Christmas. They said their was an area of concern 1 cm. that was not there 1 year ago. I am scheduled for a biopsy on Wed. two days from now and am scared to death. They said they don't believe it is fluid filled and is a solid mass. I guess we'll see what's going on then. Thank you

The following user gives a hug of support to kgsmith:
vannash (01-10-2011)
Closed Thread