It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User
mammograms , early detection

Mammograms expose us to cancer causing radiation and research shows that your chance of being alive ten years after a diagnosis of breast cancer is the same regardless of whether you get chemotherapy or do nothing . I won't be getting any mammograms and I won't take any hormones for PMS or menopause since they increase cancer risk.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

celticfan HB User
Re: mammograms , early detection

are you kidding me?????????????????????????????????????? ??????????
lets see. I had a mammogram in 2002, which found a lump so small that it wasnt felt. i also had 2 other lumps. they were all cancer. i had a partial mastectomy, chemo, radiation, and have taken tamoxifen and femara for 5 yrs. Funny, i am still here 7 yrs later.

ETA: i was really irked by your post, and then i reviewed your other posts, and see what your objective is.

Last edited by celticfan; 10-24-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I would be interested in reading your source of information as I know many people who have had cancer 20 years ago and are still having a great time glowing in the dark.
Years ago breast cancer had a much higher mortality rate but thanks to early diagnosis via a mammogram, it is a cancer you CAN survive and live well. My mom is one.
I don't take hormones either. My mom didn't take hormones, so where did she get her breast cancer from? Don't tell me from having a mammogram. It saved her life by detecting it at stage one.
I wish you well.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel52 View Post
I would be interested in reading your source of information as I know many people who have had cancer 20 years ago and are still having a great time glowing in the dark.
Years ago breast cancer had a much higher mortality rate but thanks to early diagnosis via a mammogram, it is a cancer you CAN survive and live well. My mom is one.
I don't take hormones either. My mom didn't take hormones, so where did she get her breast cancer from? Don't tell me from having a mammogram. It saved her life by detecting it at stage one.
I wish you well.
I can see you never took statistics in college. I never said there aren't people alive twenty years after a cancer diagnosis (hopefully not one of the false positive ones). Hormones are only one cause of breast cancer.
To determine whether chemo works , you need to divide people diagnosed with breast cancer into two groups and assign them at random to get chemo or not to get it and then see who is alive in ten or twenty years and when this is done one finds that the same percentage of people are alive in ten or twenty years in both groups which shows that chemo does not work except as a carcinogen , sterilizer , heart destroyer and more.
Early detection appears to make a difference (until one looks at the situation closely) simply because you are more likely to detect a few cells that would not kill people in thirty years, treat people and declare that you saved their lives.Chemo is a trillion dollar business.
There are groups of people in diferent regions of the world whose incidence of cancer is about one in a thousand . If they start eating the American diet their incidence goes up to one in three.The incidence of breast cancer should decline becasue more and more women are refusing to take hormones but the cancer industry will take credit for the decline . If everyone stopped smoking the cancer industry would take credit for curing lung cancer

Old 11-19-2009, 04:49 AM   #5
(female)

Graves54 HB User

Yes it does expose us to radiation, and we don't know how much exactly. My NP told me that getting a mammogram every 2 to 3 years is sufficient.

I'm getting one tommorrow and hate it, but can't afford to get a sonogram. My mom had breast cancer so it puts me in higher risk.

Am getting it done thru the Show Me Healthy Women. If cancer is found, the state pays for any chemo or whatever. I saw my mom go thru a lot of hell and would rather shoot myself then to go thru with what she did. Her cancer was caught in a later stage. The cancer had spread into her lymph nodes.

So, I think getting a mammo every 2 or 3 years would be enough.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Chrispy

There are different opinions on mammograms and chemo for the prevention and treatment of breast cancer. I for one have a mammogram and breast MRI every year. I do that because breast cancer runs in my family. My sister is currently fighting breast cancer for a second time after having been cancer free for 10 years. She has two young children. I have one young daughter and my feeling is "whatever I can do to help catch breast cancer early and treat it the better". I did have one lumpectomy for atypical hyperplasia four and half years ago and that tumor turned out to be estrogen postive, so I can no longer take any hormones, I can not take tamoxafin because I had a stroke when I delivered my daughter, so my only option is having a yearly mammogram and breast MRI. Do I think that I am getting to much radiation--NO. There is radiation in everything we eat and everywhere that we travel.

Whatever make you comfortable is the right thing for you. If you are comfortable not getting mammogram and taking any hormones--Great. Your opinion is well taken and I am sure that there are many people out there who have the same feelings. You must remember that there is an equal amount of people out there that feel comfortable obtaining whatever medical test or procedure that are available to give them piece of mind that they are doing everything in there power to either prevent or treat cancer at its earlist stages.

Last edited by shisslak; 12-05-2009 at 11:11 AM.

Closed Thread