It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
(female)

rurozy1 HB User
chemo

I have to start chemo next week I had a mastectomy 2 weeks ago. does eveyone get sick and lose their hair .

Old 11-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: chemo

Hi knew someone who had chemo and she didn't lose any of her hair.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
(female)

California Ann HB User
Re: chemo

Hi,

I am a new breast cancer survivor. Had a double mastectomy the end of April with no node involvment. Started my chemo in mid June, (my son was getting married on 6/13 so I opted to postpone chemo until after the wedding). I had 4 rounds of Chemo 3 weeks apart. My last treatment was August 17. I only had a little trouble with my first treatment. Had my treatment on Monday, Lunesta on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon I fell asleep and slept until Saturday afternoon. I only woke up long enough to move between the bed room, living room and bath room. I had diareaha pretty bad especially after the first treatment But as long as I remembered to take my Amodium I was fine. My Dr put me on a short term of steriods after each treatment and I never had another problem.

My hair started falling out at about 3 weeks. I think that was the hardest thing for me. But my hair started growing back in before I was finished with my last treatment. I am almost ready to stop wearing hats and caps in public. I was told during one of my treatments that there is some sort of ice therapy that sometimes helps to prevent hair loss but it was already to late for me.

I am glad it is over but It was much easier than I thought it would be. I started using a very good brand of mouthwash and toothpaste and even gum which helped prevent mouth sores. There are lots of things you can do to make it easier. I was very lucky to have a ot of support at home and I didn't work. I tried to walk everyday. And once a week My grand children and daughter walked me to the playground and then the library. So I did get outI also had some problems with tasts and smells but not enough to stop me from eating.

All and all it really wasn't that bad. Drink lots of fluids and get plenty of rest. I know it is very scarry but educate yourself and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.

Good luck you have all my prayers,

Ann

Closed Thread