It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
(female)

chis HB User
stereotactic now excisional biopsy question please

I am 51 and radiologist found a change in my calcifications with this years mammo. They were many, clustered, pleomorphic and slightly rounded. Report said possible papillary lesions. So I went on to have the stereotactic and was called on my cell phone when I was shopping from the Dr. who did the stereotactic biopsy that it was BENIGN but atypical cells. I just jotted down the name of the surgeons she recommended and wasn't able to ask any questions being in the store. My gyno wasn't in that day and I don't know what the report said. Is it very good that the tissue they biopsied was benign and maybe when they go to take more tissue it will also be benign but just atypical. She said I think that there were two area. Will my breasts be deformed afterwards. Im still recovering from the stereo with big black n blue marks. Since I don't have a "lump" how much tissue do they know to take? I'm just so confused and scared. Mostly I'm scared that even though I always got my yearly mammo that they will find it was the type that spread and I'll have to have all different tests on my lungs etc. Can someone please calm me down and explain these things I don't understand. Thank you all so much for any info .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
(female)

nibbsie HB User
Re: stereotactic now excisional biopsy question please

Hi! I also had a stereotatic biopsy that came out highly atypical, but benign. The doctor who did the biopsy explained that it is important to have a wide surgical excision done because it is crucial that all the atypical cells are removed. Atypical cells can turn malignant even though they are in the benign stage now. You would not want to leave any of those cells in there. The surgeon will do a wide excision-which means that he will cut out the area until he gets a clean margin.
In my case--the cells in the biopsy were highly atypical which meant that they were on the verge of changing over to malignant. The doctor was afraid that possibly a few cells could have turned. The final biopsy on the wide excision was totally benign--they had gotten most of the cells in the stereotatic!! I hope that you turn out the same. Please write to me if you have any questions!! You will be fine!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
(female)

chis HB User

Thank you for writing. I'm glad everything turned out well after all of this. I can't even believe it got to this point for me. Thought I'd just go in for 2nd mammo call back and that would be it. I'm 51 and going through perimenopause. Wondering if the change in hormones might of been the cause for the changing microcalcifications. I'm wondering if there is a difference between and incisional and excisional biopsy. I only have my appt. with the surgeon next Tuesday and in the dark about everything.
I will be picking up my pathology report at my gyno's tomorrow and hopefully he will call that day also to explain all my questions. Like I said the Dr. called me on my cell phone when out shopping and I was too shocked to ask her any questions. Also I'm wondering if any other treatment is necessary after this biopsy and it is benign or just more atypical cells will be found. What happens if next year I have the same thing on mammo? I will be asking all these questions also when I see surgeon but I hate this wait again. Thank you so much again for writing.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:53 AM   #4
(female)

nibbsie HB User

I think the worst part of this journey is the waiting. Two months passed between my mammo, breast mri, biopsy, and then excisional biopsy. I did not have much pain after the wide resection. I had to wear a pressure bra for the first week which they gave me in the hospital. I asked for an additional one to bring home because you have to wear it all the time, and I was able to wash one, wear one. I also have LCIS besides atypical cells which was diagnosed 11 years ago. I did 5 years of tamoxifen following that diagnosis. My friend, who also has atypical cells, also took tamoxifen for 5 years. Since you will now be considered high risk, you may want to think of some type of medication. You can ask your surgeon after this is over if you are a candidate. Good luck to you, sweetie. I am here if you have more questions.
Carm

Old 11-16-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
(female)

sweetpeas6 HB User

Dear Nibbsie
I saw your previous answer to Chis and I was hoping you could give me some information. In 2006 I had microcalcifications that I had a Stero biopsy that was benign. Every year since I have had a normal mamogram. This year it showed new, clustered microcalcifications. The radiologist said they looked different. They are very small even with the magnifying glass. He said that there was a 70-75% that they were normal but if it was something this would be what I would want because it was small and slow. He said I didn't have to make up my mind then about the biopsy (but he didn't say how long I could wait) but I made an appointment to have it done right away. What do you think my chances are since he said they were different? If I have to have a lumpectomy what is invloved? Could this be early stage breast cancer and is there usually a good outcome to it?

Thank you so much for your response.
Sweetpea

Old 11-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
(female)

nibbsie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeas6 View Post
Dear Nibbsie
I saw your previous answer to Chis and I was hoping you could give me some information. In 2006 I had microcalcifications that I had a Stero biopsy that was benign. Every year since I have had a normal mamogram. This year it showed new, clustered microcalcifications. The radiologist said they looked different. They are very small even with the magnifying glass. He said that there was a 70-75% that they were normal but if it was something this would be what I would want because it was small and slow. He said I didn't have to make up my mind then about the biopsy (but he didn't say how long I could wait) but I made an appointment to have it done right away. What do you think my chances are since he said they were different? If I have to have a lumpectomy what is invloved? Could this be early stage breast cancer and is there usually a good outcome to it?

Thank you so much for your response.
Sweetpea
HI Sweetpea,
I know what it is like to be nervous and upset by a mamogram. I have had biopsies for clustered microcalcifications quite a few times, and, fortunately, have turned out to be papillomas which are benign. My LCIS diagnosis was an incidental finding that occurred during one of these surgeries. My atypical hyperplasia was found on an MRI and not seen on a mamo or a sonogram.
Did the radiologist tell you what was different about these calcifications? Is it that the numbers have increased in the cluster? A good sign is that he is not rushing you to have them removed. One time, I was told to come back in 6 months to see if there was a change. Those 6 months were so difficult for me because I worried day and night about what was going on. When I went back for a mamo then, the radiologist wanted a biopsy done because the numbers had increased even more. That one was also a papilloma. How I wished I had had it done 6 months earlier because it would have saved me so much anxiety!! You are doing the right thing having it done now and not putting it off.
I wish you good luck. If you have any questions, please write me! I am sending you good thoughts for a great outcome!

Old 11-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
(male)

Cowpin8 HB User

I am new to this topic. I am a 40-year old MALE. Today I found out that I have a 5 mm complex cyst in my left breast. I have been having pretty bad pain in my left chest, so 6 months ago I had a mammogram. It showed nothing. Then I had a Breast MRI. It also showed nothing. I started to think I was going crazy because the chest pain was getting worse. So last week I went for a breast sonogram. BINGO... The radiologist said I have a 5mm complex cyst at the 2 oclock position in my left beast. BIRADS category 3. I am VERY happy that they found what was wrong. My question is, What do I do now? I am a male, so this subject is new to me.
Thanks, Joe.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:32 AM   #8
(female)

nibbsie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpin8 View Post
I am new to this topic. I am a 40-year old MALE. Today I found out that I have a 5 mm complex cyst in my left breast. I have been having pretty bad pain in my left chest, so 6 months ago I had a mammogram. It showed nothing. Then I had a Breast MRI. It also showed nothing. I started to think I was going crazy because the chest pain was getting worse. So last week I went for a breast sonogram. BINGO... The radiologist said I have a 5mm complex cyst at the 2 oclock position in my left beast. BIRADS category 3. I am VERY happy that they found what was wrong. My question is, What do I do now? I am a male, so this subject is new to me.
Thanks, Joe.
What did the radiologist recommend? Did you have the results sent to your Primary Care physician? Your doctor will probably want you to see a breast surgeon who may want to drain or remove the cyst and biopsy the fluid it contains. Speak to your doctor and follow his advice. Good luck to you!

Old 11-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
(male)

Cowpin8 HB User

The radiologist said to come back in 6 months for another sonogram. BUT, I have been in pretty bad pain for 6 months already. I dont want to wait. I want to have it surgically removed if thats possible. I just dont know what type of surgeon to call?
Thanks, Joe.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Joe, I went to a general surgeon to my biopsy surgery. He took out my breast ducts and had them biopsied. I picked hm as he was the surgeon who removed my husband's spleen. I called and asked if he did biopsies. Mine wasn't just a needle it was a surgery. Good luck. I didn't have cancer but when I went today to see him I said it was nice to be out of pain. I siad I didn't realize I was hurting that much prior to the surgery. He said I probably had an infection prior.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #11
(male)

Cowpin8 HB User

Mel52:

Thank You very much. If you dont mind can you tell me what they did exactly? Did you have a complex cyst also? How bad was the surgery and recovery? Whatever details you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.
I have been in pain for over 6 months now. I actually went to the Emergency room twice with severe burning left chest pain.

Thanks, Joe.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:15 AM   #12
(female)

sweetpeas6 HB User

Dear Nibbsie,
Thank you for your answer. I went yesterday for the Biopsy but I won't know for a couple of days. The technicians at the Radiology said that what he probably meant by different was that they were indeterminate.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #13
(female)

nibbsie HB User

I am hoping that you will hear soon, and that you will have good news!! I will be thinking of you. Good luck, sweetie. Love to you!

Old 11-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #14
(female)

sweetpeas6 HB User

Dear Nibbsie,

Thank you so much for your kind wishes. I got the results yesterday and they were benign. TG
I pray for everyone on this site. I wish you a very happy holiday.

Best Wishes,
Sweetpeas

Old 11-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Joe, I was put to sleep under anthesthia so I felt nothing. The surgeon made an incision around the nipple and removed the ducts to be biopsied. I had surgical tape as stitches. It wasn't painful except to have clothing touch me as I was ultra sensitive. I turned black, blue and green for a couple of weeks but it was ok. Actually, I have to say it was kind of nice to just stay in sweats and do a jigsaw puzzle instead of household chores.
I saw the dr the other day. He said the breast is still hard around the nipple area. I told him I didn't realized how much it hurt until after the surgery was done and the pain was gone. He said there was probably some infection in there prior and the ducts were pulling the nipple in. My breast looks different but believe me I don't care!
Hope that answered your questions.

Closed Thread