It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User
Death from stage III cancer

My doctor said I only had a 50% chance of living for five years. It was just a very unexpected statement. Do all of you feel this is the case?
Thank-you,
Sophie 56

Old 04-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
(female)

Pfretzsch HB User
Re: Death from stage III cancer

Remember that each person is different and statistics are just broad numbers. What will they be doing to try to make sure that you are in the good 50%? Also consider getting a second opinion - not about the statistics but about followup treatment.

Good luck!

((((((HUGS))))) and prayers

Pat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

It seems they are doing every treatment they can. The doctor just did not seem very positive . I just wondered if others knew anyone that had lived a longer life with Stage III. I didn't realize it was such a grim diagnosis. Thanks to anyone for input.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
(female)

ladyabby HB Userladyabby HB User

Hi Sophie56,
As I stated in one of my past posts to you, when my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, she was stage IV. She lived 18 years from the time she was diagnosed and felt pretty good most of the time. There are a lot of options out there and I think I would definately get a second opinion. What did your doctor suggest as treatment for you? Please keep in touch.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Well, He said we will do 4 1/2 months of chemo, 5 wks of daily radiation and then put you on herceptin for one year....that's all I know. All this is very new to me. I had a mammogram in june of 09 and they said I was fine and now 10 months later I am StageIII and don't have long to live! My family and I are devastated. There must be a bright side somewhere.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Sophie, keep God in your heart, he is your bright side. We are all still here praying for you. My friend that just got diagnosed with lukiemia, just got good news, the chemo is working and she may get to go home, she has a 2 year old little girl that misses her terribly.

Stay positive, that plays a very important role. Like I said, we are all still here for you.

Sunny

Old 04-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
(female)

diane777 HB User

Hi Sophie,

I've learned that if your doctor is that negative and making you feel this way, that you should get another doctor. It can make all the difference.

Like people are saying, everyone is different. Like the poster below who said her Stage IV mother lived 18 years!!

There are so many alternative things you can do to build yourself up, too. Vitamin B17 is supposed to be excellent -- hard to get -- you have to order on-line.

Don't let this doctor tell you anything negative. If he doesn't have any hope, then he is not good for you. Do you have other onc's on your health plan that you can choose and switch to? I had an onc 13 years ago who made me laugh and it made a difference. I felt safe and taken care of.

Good luck to you. I do not think it is hopeless. It is different for each person. I know a guy who was given 6 months to live, and was still around 5 years later laughing at the doctors!

Stay in touch!

Diane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie56 View Post
Well, He said we will do 4 1/2 months of chemo, 5 wks of daily radiation and then put you on herceptin for one year....that's all I know. All this is very new to me. I had a mammogram in june of 09 and they said I was fine and now 10 months later I am StageIII and don't have long to live! My family and I are devastated. There must be a bright side somewhere.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
(female)

ritualangst HB User

i would get a second opinion before starting any treatment ~ i have been diagnosed with breast cancer twice ~ first time in 04 with invasive lobular carcinoma for which i had a lumpectomy and 6 weeks of radiation and started on an AI then in 05 for DCIS which i had another lumpectomy and 6 more weeks of radiation ~ i made sure i had two MD's give me my diagnosis and they both came up with the same conclusion ~ stage III is no longer a death sentence with all of the new treatment protocols they have and if you feel the least bit apprehensive about your oncologist find a new one ~as a two time survivor i can tell you 90% of the battle is emotional and if you do not feel the inner strength you need to feel with this doctor then move on ~ lots of good information on the internet so do your research ~i have reached my 5 year mark so there is always hope ~ keep the faith ~

Old 04-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
(female)

calamtykel HB User

I'm not terribly familiar with breast cancer, but a friend of mine's mother was diagnosed with stage four three or four years ago and she was treated and is fine. Pray; keep your spirits up. A doctor shouldn't be telling you such things; they aren't God and they don' t know the outcome; and telling patients things like that in stage three seems to not have any point.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #10
(female)

Pfretzsch HB User

A significant amount of people have lived longer than 5 years with stage III - I think that the doc was trying too hard to be "balanced" in his assessment, and he ended up being negative to someone who needed more encouragement. Each person is such an individual that statistics mean very, very little. Also, many docs are better in how they relay info. I think that this one didn't realize the impact of his/her words.

Sophie, you've got to taske statistics with a grain of salt.

Pat

Old 05-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Thank-you all for replying.
Sophie 56

Old 05-28-2010, 03:02 AM   #12
(male)

joeh67 HB User

The statistics is based on if you are following the traditional treatments such as surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. Change your lifestyle, improve your diet, take some proven natural remedies, do some good exercises.....all these will help increase your chance of survival. Your body definitely has the ability to heal itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie56 View Post
My doctor said I only had a 50% chance of living for five years. It was just a very unexpected statement. Do all of you feel this is the case?
Thank-you,
Sophie 56

Closed Thread