It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User
Someone help please ..chemo side effects

Hi all, I just found out I have stage III breast cancer and am about to start chemo. Would someone please tell me some of the side effects they experienced? I know everyone's is different but I just need to hear from some people who have been through it.
Thank you all,
Sophie 56

Old 04-21-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
(female)

mopsy16 HB User
Re: Someone help please ..chemo side effects

Hi, I went through Chemo in July 2008, lots of side effects, most concerning was sickness, tiredness and aching joints. Had a metallic taste which lasted throughout treatment, took zinc supplement which seemed to help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Mopsy, thank=you so much for replying, when you talk about sickness do you mean vomitng or what? If you don't mind my asking how long did the sickness last? Did they give you any meds to help control it? As you can guess, I am extremely apprehensive and desperate for any info from someone who has been through it. Thank-you again.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
(female)

California Ann HB User

Hi,

I just went through chemo 7 months ago. I was very lucky and didn't have many side effects. My chemo team was the best I was ready for almost anything. My first round was the worst and it wasn't bad. I had no problems while I was having my therapy. My treatments were on Mondays and I had to go back on Tuesdays for a Nulesta injecton. I was fine until Wednesday evening. I got tired and slept for 3 day. The only time I got up was because I had diahreah pretty bad. But when I remembered to take something to stop it I was fine. My Dr put me on steroids to take with my chemo and I didn't have any other problems like that.

I did get a little tired and food didn't taste very good. But do you think I could have lost a pound or two. No such luck. I had my first treatment on June 13 and most of my hair was gone by the first week of July. It is April 21 and I have already had to have 2 haircuts and am ready for another. I love my new short hair. I think the loosing my hair was the hardest for me. I was prepared though but I still wasn't ready. My daughter and I went wig shopping before I even lost my hair. She is a hair dresser so we went to a wig shop and made a day of it. It was fun but it took me a while before I could talk about loosing my hair without crying.

I tried to be prepared for most anything. I started using special toothpaste and mouthwash without alcohol, took snacks to my treatments drank lots of fluids. Kept lots of sugarless candies around and I rested when I needed it.

My Dr made sure I had anything I needed before I needed it. I think it is just as important to have drs with a good attitude as it is for you to have a good attitude. You can do it!!

My side effects were minimal and I know I was very lucky. Read everything you can get your hands and talk to everyone you can. You have to try to be as prepared as possible and expect the unexpected.

My grand kids helped me alot. They would come over and we would walk to the park and the library. Let your family help you. It is a good therapy for them too.

Good luck and God Bless,

Ann

Old 04-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Thank-you Ann, I am having chemo May 3rd and I still haven't stopped crying about having stage III breast cancer. I am trying to prepare for the hair loss but can not. I am an absolute wreck but trying hard to pull it all together. Your answer helped. God bless.
Sophie 56

Old 04-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
(female)

diane777 HB User

Hi Sophie,

I'm sorry about your diagnosis. I had my chemo 13 years ago and I remember the metallic taste in my mouth, too. I also could not bear the smell of plastic and almost developed a bionic ability to smell it from a distance. It would burn my nose so I had to get rid of anything plastic.

The Zofran they put in my IV before the chemo took care of the tummy for it. I did not have vomiting. But....the anti-nausea meds like Zofran cause constipation, and they forget to warn you about this. So check with them beforehand about getting a good herbal (perhaps) laxative and take that the day after your chemo or you will get constipated.

My stomach did not want anything heavy in it like proteins, etc. It only wanted raw and cool foods -- salads, fruits, etc.

I think everyone's experience is a bit different so you may have some of the same things as I did or you might not.

ALso -- Don't worry if you can't remember things after a few chemos. It effects short-term memory temporarily. You feel kind of cotton-headed.

You might want to get some ice pops for the freezer beforehand. Those helped me.

Good luck, and I sure wish you didn't have to go through this. I know the feeling. If it gets to be too much, tell them. They can hold off for a little bit and continue later.

Please stay in touch and let us know how it goes.

Diane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie56 View Post
Hi all, I just found out I have stage III breast cancer and am about to start chemo. Would someone please tell me some of the side effects they experienced? I know everyone's is different but I just need to hear from some people who have been through it.
Thank you all,
Sophie 56

Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

Sophie56,

I am so very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I have been missing you over on the PM board and did a search to see what you were up to. I had no idea.

Please take care of yourself and if you need an ear anytime you know where to find me. I am sure these good folks here on the board will help you in ways that no one else can.

you are in my prayers sweetie and keep up the good fight

Bullymom

Old 05-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

Sophie.... Today is the big day. You have started your good fight. Please post when you feel like it. I have got the prayers covered!!

(((Hugs)))
bullymom

Old 06-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
(female)

Seaperch HB User

Sophie56
Hi Sophie, I experiened, migraines, mouth ulcers, vomiting feeling, bone pain. I was told everyone is different so please don't feel all this will happen to you. My friends were different, but please persist drinking water even if you don't want to, as one of my friends ended up in hospital with deyhadtrion. Good luck and take care.

Closed Thread