It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
(female)

Kimmie HB User
Odd bruising on breast that won't go away

Months ago I noticed a bruise on the side of my right breast, almost in the armpit area. I assumed it was from the underwire bra I was wearing, as it did irritate the skin in that area. I quit wearing it.
The bruise never went away, just faded. Now, about 3 weeks ago it seemed to get worse, I noticed an odd, yellowish-brown bruised area across the top of the breast, and my breast was itchy a lot. Also, the tissue under the bruised areas feels dense, not like a lump, just very dense.
I went to my OBGYN, who referred me to a general surgeon, who then referred me for an MRI, since he had no clue what this was. I did ask about Inflammatory Breast Cancer, but he didn't seem to think this looked like it, since there is not any red, imflamed tissue, just the bruising.
I just talked to the surgeon, and all they would tell me was that the MRI did not show any signs of cancer, not to worry. But they still suggested I go in for my follow up appt. on Monday (5 days from now) and they would go over the report with me then.
If anyone has had any experience with something like this, PLEASE fill me in. I am still VERY concerned about the Inflammatory Breast Cancer. I will come back on her after my follow-up and post what I found out. Hopefully, it will be GOOD news.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
(female)

Kimmie HB User
Re: Odd bruising on breast that won't go away

OK, so I have an appt. next week for an incisional biopsy. The MRI was negative for anything cancerouse, but cannot rule it out completely. The bruise is still there, sometimes feels itchy and sore, but other times I forget about it. No additional symptoms (IE breast not hot or inflamed;no discharge, no inversion of nipple..) so far **KNOCK WOOD**
No one has responded to this yet, but I will still get back on here with the results from my biopsy..just in case someone like me is looking for answers in the future

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
(female)

nibbsie HB User

Kimmie, I don't have any advice, but I do think you are doing the right thing just your peace of mind. i will say a prayer that everything works out well for you! Good luck, sweetie!

Old 05-21-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
(female)

Kimmie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbsie View Post
Kimmie, I don't have any advice, but I do think you are doing the right thing just your peace of mind. i will say a prayer that everything works out well for you! Good luck, sweetie!
Thanks, Nibbsie! I have found in the past with family members that prayer does work. This bruising really has me worried, I keep expecting to wake up with all of the other symptoms of IBC any morning! Can't believe I am actually looking forward to the biopsy just so I can bet some answers!
Thanks again, you are an angel

Old 06-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
(female)

Whitney Ella HB User
Question Re: Odd bruising on breast that won't go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
Months ago I noticed a bruise on the side of my right breast, almost in the armpit area. I assumed it was from the underwire bra I was wearing, as it did irritate the skin in that area. I quit wearing it.
The bruise never went away, just faded. Now, about 3 weeks ago it seemed to get worse, I noticed an odd, yellowish-brown bruised area across the top of the breast, and my breast was itchy a lot. Also, the tissue under the bruised areas feels dense, not like a lump, just very dense.
I went to my OBGYN, who referred me to a general surgeon, who then referred me for an MRI, since he had no clue what this was. I did ask about Inflammatory Breast Cancer, but he didn't seem to think this looked like it, since there is not any red, imflamed tissue, just the bruising.
I just talked to the surgeon, and all they would tell me was that the MRI did not show any signs of cancer, not to worry. But they still suggested I go in for my follow up appt. on Monday (5 days from now) and they would go over the report with me then.
If anyone has had any experience with something like this, PLEASE fill me in. I am still VERY concerned about the Inflammatory Breast Cancer. I will come back on her after my follow-up and post what I found out. Hopefully, it will be GOOD news.
I am a 16 year old girl with the beginning symptoms you have described. The bruising on the side of the breast, left one, near the armpit area. It's faint, but hurts and hurts when pressure is continually applied, ie by my bra. It only recently began. I never really noticed it until tonight, when the pain got worse. I looked up information on breast cancer and stuff and found your post. Please, if you find out anything, let me know!

Old 06-02-2010, 05:53 AM   #6
(female)

Kimmie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney Ella View Post
I am a 16 year old girl with the beginning symptoms you have described. The bruising on the side of the breast, left one, near the armpit area. It's faint, but hurts and hurts when pressure is continually applied, ie by my bra. It only recently began. I never really noticed it until tonight, when the pain got worse. I looked up information on breast cancer and stuff and found your post. Please, if you find out anything, let me know!
Don't panic just yet! It really could be just from the bra irritating that area. If there isn't a lump there that you can feel, it probably isn't anything to worry about just yet. Switch to a comfortable bra for a few days and see if it gets better. Mine didn't, and then I started getting the bruising across the top of the breast. That's when I went in to see my Dr. about it.
Remember, Inflammatory Breast Cancer is VERY rare, and you will generally get some pretty hard to ignore symptoms (breast should get hard and inflammed, possible oozing from the nipple area...etc).

The only thing that had me worried was the bruising not going away for months and then spreading, and the thickening of the breast tissue in the bruise area. I haven't had any of the other symptoms. I am expecting results from my biopsy any day now. By the way, the biopsy wasn't bad at all. I was very nervouse and it was not bad at all. They knocked me out for it (general anesthesia) and I was only a little sore for a few days..and they took TWO biopsies, one from the side of the breast and one from under the armpit. Still not bad.

I will post the results when I get them...not too worried at this point, just concerned Don't worry yourself too much. Just keep an eye on the area, most likely it will clear up on it's own. If not, I would see a Doctor. There are LOTS of things it could be besides cancer. Check back in and let me know how you are doing, ok?

The following user gives a hug of support to Kimmie:
karo46 (03-18-2011)
Old 06-02-2010, 06:41 AM   #7
(female)

Kimmie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney Ella View Post
Just answered that last post, and got a call with my biopsy results! NO CANCER! They attributed the symptoms to "chronic folliculitus", which has to do with infected hair follicull--ewww. Still unusual, since I never had a pimple or anything in that area, but that's what they said it is. So, Ella, that is something for you to look into. I just keep taking my antibiotics and follow up in a few weeks.

Something I learned by all of this, don't give in to worrying. There was a spell there where I was SURE it was Inflammatory Breast Cancer, I couldn't find anything else that fit the symptoms. You just have to be diligent in finding out what it is, and keep hope that there may be a positive outcome. If it is cancer, you need to know sooner rather than later so you can begin to fight it. Had my results come back positive for cancer..I was prepared for the fight of my life..not to give up.

Ella, please let me know what you find out, I am sure you will be fine

Old 06-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
(female)

nibbsie HB User

So happy to hear your good news! Go out and celebrate!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
(female)

Kimmie HB User

Just answered that last post, and got a call with my biopsy results! NO CANCER! They attributed the symptoms to "chronic folliculitus", which has to do with infected hair follicull--ewww. Still unusual, since I never had a pimple or anything in that area, but that's what they said it is. So, Ella, that is something for you to look into. I just keep taking my antibiotics and follow up in a few weeks.

Something I learned by all of this, don't give in to worrying. There was a spell there where I was SURE it was Inflammatory Breast Cancer, I couldn't find anything else that fit the symptoms. You just have to be diligent in finding out what it is, and keep hope that there may be a positive outcome. If it is cancer, you need to know sooner rather than later so you can begin to fight it. Had my results come back positive for cancer..I was prepared for the fight of my life..not to give up.

Ella, please let me know what you find out, I am sure you will be fine

Old 06-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
(female)

Kimmie HB User

Nibbsie, Thank you! I will! Believe me, I know how lucky I am to get these results and I am so happy not to have to tell my children bad news! I have three children, ages 7, 14 and 17. Thanks so much for your kind words and support! God Bless ya! Kim

Last edited by Kimmie; 06-02-2010 at 10:23 AM.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Congratulation Kim,

I am glad you got some good news--now have a great summer.

Brenda

Old 07-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #12
(female)

littlelauraa HB User

I have the same symptom's as you. And i'm 16 :/

Old 07-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #13
(female)

Kimmie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelauraa View Post
I have the same symptom's as you. And i'm 16 :/
Get it checked out if it doesn't clear up soon. I still don't know what caused it on me, but the biopsy showed no signs of cancer, so I am happy for now. The biopsy really wasn't bad, so if it comes to that, don't be to worried. Let me know what you find out if you remember! Good luck

Old 09-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
(female)

joka1cv HB User

That is the same thing that I have on my left breast. I know how scared you must be. I know I am. Please let me know what happens and what other news you may get. I'm thinking of making an appointment to see my doctor too. Hope everything turns out well. Take care.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #15
(female)

California Ann HB User

Kimmie,

I had the same thing 11 months after my double mastectomy. I had concerns about IBS too. I had to have another biopsy and it showed nothing. At least there was no cancer but no idea what it was. It lasted about 6 months before it finally faded away.

Ann

Closed Thread