It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
(female)

JClooking HB User
Question Lump in Armpit

Two weeks ago I was in the shower and while I was washing under my arm, I found two pea-sized lumps under my arm. Both seem solid but movable. I have a hard time feeling them when I'm not showering but when I'm all soapy they are easily detected. I have an appt. for Tuesday and didn't get in sooner because I was going on vacation. The doc. asked questions like did I had a temp. or do I feel sick, etc. before making the judgment that it would be safe to wait until I returned home. Now that I am almost home, the worry has started back up and have been reading everything I can find about whether this could be cancer (breast or otherwise).

I just turned 45 and have other known risks such as overweight, had menses at age 10, never had children and a former smoker. In my gut, I don't feel like it's cancer but I don't want to be blind-sided if it were to turn out to be so. Has anyone been diagnosed with cancer who has found an under-arm lump or have you felt a lump that is hard to feel while dry but easily felt in shower? I'm afraid my doctor might have a problem locating it.

If you've discovered a lump under your arm or could feel a lump in the shower but have a hard time locating it otherwise, I really would like to hear from you. Any insight would be greatly appreciated positive or negative!!

Thanks,
Janet

Last edited by JClooking; 08-02-2010 at 07:21 AM.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
(female)

JClooking HB User
Re: Lump in Armpit

Well, although no one has answered, I'm still hoping that this may catch the eye of someone who will post. I saw my doctor Tuesday and he says that it's probably an ingrown hair but wants to get my blood and have me come back in a month to check it out again; either way, if it were to get bigger, I am to call him or if my blood comes back suspect, he will call me. I was somewhat relieved but not totally convinced and this morning, while I was in the shower, I found another lump on the bottom portion of my breast and compared it to the other one...no lump there. I will call him Monday but am also concerned that I am being too paranoid about it. I can't feel either of these when I'm not wet and soapy and, although the one in my armpit (outer part of my arm) is easily spotted in the shower, the one under my breast, you still have to feel for, even when wet. I have to admit that I'm not faithful about examining my breasts like I should be so I'm not sure if it's a normal lump or something to be concerned about.

Maybe I don't need advice since I do know what I should and will be doing and I know no one can tell me if it is or isn't cancer. I guess I'm just looking for encouragement or experience in the same situation. I just fear the worst and by worst, I mean exactly that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
(female)

nibbsie HB User

Hi! I know you are nervous, but the best thing is to get all this checked out by your doctor. I have had lumps under my arms before also from ingrown hairs. What I have learned through all this is not to touch them all the time--all you do is aggravate them. I know it is hard not to check them, but just try! They may go away quicker that way if they are caused by ingrown hairs, shaving or deodorant.
I wish you luck and send you good wishes and thoughts that these lumps are nothing! Go see your doctor soon so you can move on with your life! Love to you!

Old 08-22-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
(female)

JClooking HB User

Update, had my blood taken last weekend and yesterday my doctor left a message on my voicemail that just asked me to call them back. Unfortunately, by the time I got it, the office is closed until Monday. I noticed that my whole arm pit is slightly swollen now and the lump I found is still there. Of course, normally it's a good thing but this weekend is going very slowly and I'm very worried about what the doctor could have found in my blood report. I know he did a CBC and something else but not sure what the other test was. Does anyone know if there is anything that can be detected in a complete blood count or if there's any other test that would make him suspicious about cancer? I know that I should just not worry about it and wait until Monday but that's easier said than done.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:02 AM   #5
(female)

aswhynacht HB User

Hi there! It must be torture waiting to call tomorrow. I just wanted to suggest that you do something fun today to try to take your mind off of it. I hope you are able to pass the day quickly (for your sanity's sake). Keep us posted.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
(female)

JClooking HB User

Fortunately, he was just calling to tell me that nothing unusual came back other than my cholesterol. Not sure if that means that the lump is nothing to worry about or if I should be worried because it means I am probably not fighting an infection. I go back in two weeks to see him so I guess I'll see what he wants to do from that point.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Did he do a biopsy on the lump?

The way you describe them- hard and pea sized...that is concerning, because it's the classic way that breast cancer is described.

The swelling in the armpit does not seem consistent with cancer, though.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
(female)

JClooking HB User

No biopsy yet. We were "watchful waiting" but I called back to get in earlier than the month he had planned because I'm waiting to see a surgeon for neck surgery and don't want to have this hanging over my head in the meantime. I'm going in Thursday and I'm going to ask him to aspirate it or send me for ultrasound. I haven't been sleeping because I'm having very bad anxiety attacks and I just want this to be over.

Not sure what the swelling was all about since it went down the very next day but my blood came back normal so I'm assuming that means I don't have an infection. Maybe I've been irritating the area by checking all the time.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
(female)

kat6745 HB User

Hi JC, I just saw this thread after having a similar sounding lump in my underarm (axilla) area biopsied 2 days ago. It turned out to be benign, and what they call a fibroadenoma or benign tumor made of breast tissue.

I first found the pea-sized hard lump in 2007, had a mammo & ultrasound and it was diagnosed as a lipoma (fatty tumor - also benign). Well, this past summer I noticed that it was larger (now more of a green bean size, rather than pea sized) and got a bit worried and decided to check it out again.

Long story short, this past Friday I went in to have a diagnostic mammogram (more views - ouch) and ultrasound and they decided to do a Fine Needle Aspiration (biopsy). So, now I definitely know it is not cancerous - not a lipoma, either and might possibly shrink when I get into menopause.

I hope yours turns out to be nothing as well. I understand your anxiety about it, too. I know the relief I felt after finally finding out EXACTLY what it was. The biopsy wasn't all that bad, either. If you don't have one now, then my advice is to keep an eye on it and if you notice any changes, get back in to have it checked out.

Good luck, take care!
Kathy

Closed Thread