It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
(female)

bekky HB User
Question Breast lump and very anxious about family history!

Hello
Im 34 yr old, with 2 young daughters. Ive recently (about 4 weeks ago), found a lump in my breast, just behind the nipple, its not round, but rather more long and extends from just above the areola and downwards. Its easily felt when I touch the area.
My GP is aware of this and confirmed the thickening 3 weeks ago, and asked me to wait for my period and if it the lump is still there then he will refer me straight away.
However im getting increasingly worried because my period seems to be never coming, im about 4 days late, and feel this is delaying me having further investigations. I am not pregnant as ive been sterilised so the breast change cannot be for that reason. Do anyone think I should go back to my GP and ask him to refer me even though ive not had my period or do you think I should have more patience for cycle to start??
I cannot help being so worried as my mum had breast cancer when she was 39yr old and she died because of it, and I also have 2 other relatives who also suffered with breast cancer. I know I may be jumping the gun, but im so scared now and am losing sleep over this. I have had 2 scares in the past, first time I was told it was a dilated duct, and the second time I was told it was lumpy tissue. Had no problems for a long time until this again now.
Would be so glad for anybodys advice or opinions on what you think I should do. Thanks in advance
Bekky x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
(female)

bekky HB User
Re: Breast lump and very anxious about family history!

Somebody please help me out, im desperatly worried now, cant get it out of my head today

Old 08-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
(female)

BunionLovah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekky View Post
Somebody please help me out, im desperatly worried now, cant get it out of my head today
I am sorry you are going through that. If it were me, I would definitely go back to my GP and request a referral right away. I don't know much of anything about breast cancer but I do know that sometimes we need to be insistent with the doctors.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

bekky,

I just saw your message. Has anything changed. I agree with the previous poster, insist on a referral. You can also self refer yourself. (if that is permitted in south wales).
I understand what your doctor is trying to see. Because you still get a period even though you have had a procedure, you are still producing estrogen and he is trying to see if the lump gets bigger or smaller with your cycle.
When I was 26 my doctor felt a lump and he had me return at different intervals to see if he could detect any changes.
All was find then, but I myself felt a lumb when I was 45 and after having a negative mammogram, my ob/gyn insisted that I be seen at the breast center because of my family history. I had to demand that the lumb be removed, which the surgeon did once he got an opening in his schedule. (6 weeks later). This lump was benign, however I was diagnosed with atypical hyperplasia which is a precurser to breast cancer, so it was a good thing that I am pushy if you know what I mean.
So Demand and be really pushy and tell the doctor that you wish to be referred to a breast clinic.
You are the patient and you are the ultimate final decision on your health.
Let me know how you make out.

Last edited by shisslak; 08-11-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

Find a way to get a mammogram right away. IF this doctor won't give you one, find someone that will, Even IF you have to go to the ER.

I don't want you worried, but I do want you PRO_ACTIVE about this.
Time is always of the essence.

Please check back with us. A lump is a lump and needs to be checked out. I don't care where you are in your cycle. I am sorry, but I think this doctor is taking a risky chance with you. PLEASE seek a mammogram ASAP.
(((Hugs)))
Madison

Closed Thread