Hi all-- please excuse my silly screen name-- last time I posted on HealthBoards, it was several years ago when I was having bunion surgery on my foot!
I went today for my first mammogram, and wasn't at all worried about it-- I'm very healthy with no history of breast cancer in my family. They ended up taking a magnification mammogram of my right breast, as the radiologist detected microcalcifications. Again, I didn't think anything of it, and when the tech showed me the image, I didn't even know what questions to ask. I did not know these can sometimes indicate a pre-cancer condition. I don't remember how many there were, but it was definitely more than 5 and they were all in the same area.
The radiologist recommended coming back in 6 months for another mammogram and he wrote on my little check out sheet "probably benign."
So then I went back to work and looked on Google and you know how that goes. It can send you into a panic. I am reading that some people say you should have a biopsy when these are found, and also, that it is uncommon for a woman under 40 to have microcalcifications.
My doctor will call me in the next day or two and I want to know what to say to her. Do I go along and wait 6 months for the follow up mammogram or do I request a biopsy? It is confusing. I figured you all would have some insight.
Microcalcifications are quite common. What determines if they are classified as suspicious are their size, are they regular or irregular shaped, are they clustered in a group, etc. They sometimes do indicate the pressence of cancer but 80% of those biopsied turn out to be benign. I had to have a stereotactic biopsy in 2008 when my mammo showed tightly clustered microcalcifications. The radiologist gave it a BIRAD's rating of 4 which is highly suspicious. I have a very strong family history of breast cancer so I was conerned. The results came back benign, the calcifications were due to tiny microscopic cysts that did not show up on the mammogram. My advice as to whether to wait the 6 months for a repeat mammo or to ask for a biopsy would be to go with your gut feeling. If you're ok with waiting then do so, but if you're uneasy about going that route, ask for the biopsy. If it were me, I'd have the biopsy even if I didn't have the breast cancer historyl