It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
(female)

kimmer2010 HB User
please help, scared!

i felt a lump in my rt breast on sunday. to me kinda felt like a cyst. i've had those before. went to my family doctor who also said it felt like a cyst. scheduled me for a u/s just to rule out cancer. the hospital that i went for my u/s at performs a mammogram before the u/s as protocol if you're over 30. i'm 34. she took two pictures of my breast. came back in to take two more. then i went for my u/s. the tech said it 's nothing to worry about - looks like a cluster of cysts, nothing to worry about. got a call today from the hospital and was told i need to go in for a biopsy. i'm scared. why would the u/s tech say it was nothing to worry about. could a cluster of cysts look suspicious on a mammogram? are they just being causious?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
(female)

MISSYJOY HB User
Re: please help, scared!

Hi Kim - saw that nobody had written back to you and just wanted to see how you are doing. What happened?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2010, 02:44 AM   #3
(female)

Lovey Mauve HB User

Yes, they are being cautious. Cysts can be cancerous if left there.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
(female)

Misssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB User

Look at it this way...the techs see alot of u/s and for them to tell you they look like a cluster of cysts...sounds good to me. The techs in Rhode Island are not allowed to speak to the patients...they avoid all questions...so at least you have a preliminary guess as to what is going on with you. Lets think the worst case for a moment...even if it turned out to be cancer....you found the lump on Sunday and followed up quickly....the quicker cancer is found the better outlook for the patient. Another thing...most breast cancers are cured now-adays...whereas years ago....most cancers were an immediate death sentence...they have so much technology now....try to think positive "if it is cancer, I will beat this". I hope it turns out to be cysts...

Old 10-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
(female)

kimmer2010 HB User

Just got the call today from my doctor saying that the pathology report is back and everything is perfectly fine. Not cancer. It was indeed just a cluster of small cysts that apprantely had some scar tissue or thicker type tissue mixed in. When I went for my biopsy the radiologist said that to her it just looked to be a cluster of cysts as well. SHe measured it and it was smaller than at my first ultrasound. She actually gave me the option to not do the biopsy and just follow up in six months but I went ahead with it since I was already there literally on the table. Plus I had to know for 100%. Still, waiting for the "Official" results still sucks cause you always wonder if...

Anyways, I'm so friggin glad it's over. Feels like my life has been on hold for the last 5 weeks. I'm so grateful that it's not cancer and just feel for those whose life goes the other way...

Anways, just my update.

Take care all.

The following user gives a hug of support to kimmer2010:
tamaeckley (11-12-2010)
Old 04-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
(female)

vickyg HB User

So glad to see your post and my mother gets her results from the MRI after they did a biopsy weeks ago today. Do you know if they take the whole lump or just a piece of it? Why don't they tell ppl.what they do ? Best of luck with the waiting I know it is the worst part.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

It depends on the biopsy result. I had a high grade 'in situ' ie it hadn't spread. Could have had it taken out with them digging around to make sure that they had it all followed by 6 weeks radiotherapy. Went for total mastectomy as a] I had pelvic radio 3 years ago and didn't want more b] my bikini days are well over c] peace of mind.
Note.....I come in the '2 fried eggs' breast category, am totally unaware of the prothesis and you certainly can't tell. Had I been bigger breasted I may have thought differently.

The Following User Says Thank You to cejayb For This Useful Post:
vickyg (04-08-2011)
Old 04-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
(female)

lilruthie44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cejayb View Post
It depends on the biopsy result. I had a high grade 'in situ' ie it hadn't spread. Could have had it taken out with them digging around to make sure that they had it all followed by 6 weeks radiotherapy. Went for total mastectomy as a] I had pelvic radio 3 years ago and didn't want more b] my bikini days are well over c] peace of mind.
Note.....I come in the '2 fried eggs' breast category, am totally unaware of the prothesis and you certainly can't tell. Had I been bigger breasted I may have thought differently.
Hi cejayb i have just been told i have breast cancer and am due to have a mastectomy on the 15th april, so very scared if you dont mind me asking how did you feel about yourself after your mastectomy??? and also if you have a partner or husband how is he coping and feeling towards you????
I am very lucky i have a very loving and supporting partner but am so very scared he will see me in a different way after my op...we have only been together a year so its a fairly new relationship for us to both have to go through all this....

Hope you are feeling well take care and hope you dont mind me asking you a couple of questions....

Hugs Ruthie xxx

Old 04-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

Hi Ruthie... No problem. I did not feel any different after the op and there is no change in my husband..it's a breast as opposed to a possible life. He fully supported my mastectomy decision and I reckon that he's stuck around all these years because of me....not body appendages!!
However I assume that you have been offered a reconstruction? I was not interested but a friend who is a lot younger and who was in a new relationship had a reconstruction for her partner [he couldn't have cared less!] and another who had a double mastectomy had the reconstruction done at the time of the op....smaller breasts so that she could play sport more easily.
I am sure that the op will go well and when that concern is over you will be able to take stock of how you feel generally. A tip...take a light belt to hospital with you. You have a drain in for a few days and attaching it to a belt saves a lot of walking off and forgetting about it! Hope your hospital food is better than ours. Any other ?? am happy to answer if I can. Celia

Closed Thread