It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

joaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB User
Small lump in breast

Okay, here's the deal. I'm 49 and will be 50 in August I started my period before I was 12, have had no children and was on BCP until 2 years ago this November.

Yesterday I discovered a small lump in one of my breasts. It's about 2 o'clock in the right breast outside the areola. I just had my annual breast exam and since I don't have insurance I go to the local Community Health Center. They have a program where I live that if they find breast cancer and you're on the state's indigent program they will qualify you for Medicaid. Well, the people who do the exams are NP and IMO they are not very thorough when they examine you. She didn't even refer me for a mammo and told me if I wanted one it would probably cost me $150. It's up to the provider's discretion to refer you and if she did it would have been free. She did tell me that I could wait till August when I turn 50 and then it would be free. Regardless I checked and since I am on the lowest level for the co-pay it only cost me $7. She briefly examined my breast and then gave me something that had a simulation of what a cancer feels like in the breast. Well, that's what mine feels like. It hard, fixated, painless and doesn't move. The NP lightly touched me when examining me so there's no way she could have felt it because it's a little deep and you have to use a firmer touch.

I had the mammo on Thursday and was wondering if I should wait till I get the results before I call my doctor. They say lumps happen sometimes when you get your period but since I had an endometrial ablation last May I haven't had one so I have no clue when it's my period. If the mammo comes back normal and the lump is still there I do plan on making an appointment with the doctor who did my ablation since sometimes lumps don't show up on mammos from what I read.

So should I wait or call the office tomorrow and talk to the nurse and see what she suggests?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread