It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 02:09 AM   #1
(female)

Ppc11 HB User
Unhappy Huge lump found, very scared, please help

I found a huge oval lump in the right side of my left breast. It is bigger than an inch in length, and at least half an inch in width. It is very smooth, and moves around a lot when I push it. It seemed to appear out of nowhere overnight. It has been two months since I found it and it has not gone away or changed that I can tell.

I am 24 years old, no known family history of breast cancer. I started the birth control pill about 6 months before I found this lump. I stopped about a month ago, the lump did not change. Don't know if that's related or not, but worth mentioning. I am also currently dealing with cervical cancer.

I don't know much about this, and am very very scared. I'm actually nervous even about mentioning it to my doctor. I'm scared of a mammogram, I heard they hurt, I'm scared of hearing results that I do not want to hear. My battle with cervical cancer has been so horrible I just can't bear the thought of breast cancer too.

What will they do when I tell my doctor? What is the mammogram, breast biopsy, anything else involved like? What does this lump sound like to you? Has anyone else had a similar experience? I really do appreciate any comments, stories, thoughts, anything.

Thank you.

The following user gives a hug of support to Ppc11:
Queen Mary (05-09-2011)
Old 05-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
(female)

Queen Mary HB User
Re: Huge lump found, very scared, please help

Sister:

I had the same thing happen to me! Do not be scared! You need to act immediatley. Get an appointment with a reputable breast cancer clinic - and do not panic - it may take a few weeks to get in there - but DO IT NOW. I found the lump in January - my gyno dicked around with it and finally in March I went to a cancer center. They operated April 1st AND GOT ALL OF IT! You will be fine - just get on the phone girl - you need to ACT!
Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
(female)

Queen Mary HB User

Dear Sister:

It has been 24 hours since I last posted to you to GET ON THE HORN and call a doctor. Have you done this? DO NOT WAIT. If you need help, I will drive down and take you there myself. I do not know where you live in PA., But Foxx Chase Cancer Hospital in Philly was my second opinion. I can give you names and phone numbers if you would like. The only reason I did not have the surgery there (in Philly)was because it was too far from where I am currently living (Maine). Now quiet me down a bit and let me know you have made the first appointment................Mary

Old 05-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
(female)

puddy tat HB User

I know you are afraid and you have already been through a lot. You need to contact your doctor now and get the lump checked out. The unknown can often be more frightening than just dealing with whatever it turns out to be. Take a friend with you to the appointment for moral support. Mammograms are uncomfortable, but they are not as painful as you are imagining. Remember that your doctor is part of your team and you are in charge of the team! Your team can't help you, if they don't know what is going on.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
(female)

Ppc11 HB User

Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate it. I have an appointment already with my OBGyn in 3 weeks for a post-surgical cervical biopsy (which hopefully turns out clear!). I'm going to bring it up at this appointment. Unless you think it really sounds like an emergency...

Truthfully though how much does a mammogram hurt? What is the experience like? I have small breasts and the idea of having 40 pounds (so I've read) of pressure squeezing them near flat hurts even to think about. Especially with this big lump inside... which hurts just to push on with my finger sometimes. I am really scared for this.

Also, what is the experience of a breast biopsy like? I have only had cervical biopsies and I think they are horrible every time.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
(female)

Ppc11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppc11 View Post
Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate it. I have an appointment already with my OBGyn in 3 weeks for a post-surgical cervical biopsy (which hopefully turns out clear!). I'm going to bring it up at this appointment. Unless you think it really sounds like an emergency...

Truthfully though how much does a mammogram hurt? What is the experience like? I have small breasts and the idea of having 40 pounds (so I've read) of pressure squeezing them near flat hurts even to think about. Especially with this big lump inside... which hurts just to push on with my finger sometimes. I am really scared for this.

Also, what is the experience of a breast biopsy like? I have only had cervical biopsies and I think they are horrible every time.
Oh, one more question. I just read in this message board something about ultrasound vs. mammogram. I am obviously clueless but, is it possible to opt for ultrasound instead of mammogram to have this lump checked out?

Last edited by Ppc11; 05-10-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User

Give your doc a call now, don't wait 3 weeks to "mention" it. When you are this young, you probably have dense breasts and an ultrasound would probably be ordered, that would be relatively painless. The mammogram is not that bad, uncomfortable certainly but not agonizingly painful. The biopsy is usually a needle biopsy done with a local anesthetic, as they expained to me..no worse that novacaine at the dentist.

A moveable lump is usually a fibroadenoma,(a benign growth) especially in a younger woman, but there is a small chance that it could be something else, so get it checked.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
(female)

puddy tat HB User

It sounds like you are scaring yourself to death with all your expectations. A mammogram uncomfortaable, but is nothing that you cannot handle. A biopsy is uncomfortable, but nothing you cannot handle. Find something else to do/think about until your appointments so that you don't have to make yourself anxious. You will discover that the worst part of it is the fear you give yourself. You can do this and more if you need to. Believe in yourself.

Closed Thread