It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
(female)

Brainfogbetty HB User
My breast cancer scare (Lump found Birad 4)

I came to this board a few weeks ago and read every post I could on the breast cancer forum. Reading what others went through helped me a lot, so I hope by posting this someone else might find my post helpful.

About me:

45 yo with no family history of breast cancer or any cancer.
Started having premenopausal symptoms a year ago. Breasts, especially the right one hurt a lot. Periods irregular, night sweats, mood swings, etc.

I went to my dr. about 6 months ago complaining that my right breast hurt, and just felt weird. Dr. did a breast exam but found no lumps. No breast changes, but a feeling of heaviness almost all the time. Dr. told me I needed a mammogram since I had never had one before.

I put off the mammogram for a few months. I found that taking Evening Primrose Oil immediately took away the breast pain. Pain came and went with my periods, but EPO took care of the pain.

I scheduled my mammogram for April 20. I was on my period at the time, so my breast was tender. The mamo was a breeze. I hear women say they are uncomfortable, and their breasts hurt afterward. I have 36D's and it really was a piece of cake. Did the Digital mammogram. After it was over, I went back into the waiting room and was told I needed to go for an ultrasound.

Uh oh. That scared me. I was immediately sent to ultrasound. I watched the screen and saw the lump. It looked huge on the screen and I started to get really scared. The US tech left the room for about 10 minutes looking for the radiologist, and there I lay on the table. I grabbed my cellphone and tried to take a few pictures of the computer screen. Eleven images on the screen and two of them had white squares around them marking the spot. My cell phone camera took really crappy pics. The radiologist could not be found, so I was told to go home and she would call me.

I went home and the radiologist called me right away. She said the findings were an asymetrical nodule, irregular border and I was sure she said it was 5 cm. She said it's more than likely benign, but she said I needed a biopsy to tell if it was malignant or benign. She scheduled a biopsy for 2 weeks later.

In the meantime, I went to my Dr. ( which I had planned on switching Dr.'s soon because I wasn't happy with mine) I asked her to do another breast exam because surely she and I should be able to feel a 5 cm lump. ( 1/2 inch) She felt around and found a teeny tiny less than a BB size lump that was not really at the 12 oclock position where the lump was supposed to be. She had me feel it and I told her that can't be it because I have one of those on the other breast, and showed her, and that breast showed nothing on the mammogram.

I told her I was sure it was hormone related and that Evening Primrose Oil took the breast pain away, etc. I said I'd rather not have a biopsy right now, but wait a month or so and have another mammogram when I was not on my period to see if it shrunk or changed with my cycle. She got a little irritated with me and said, " I'm not in the business of guessing, I'm a Dr. and just this past week, I diagnosed 3 of my patients with breast cancer." She said it quite rudely. I left her office a little upset.

I decided to go in for the biopsy. It was an ultrasound guided core biopsy. I did not tell my husband or my kids because I didn't want them to worry. I went in last Thursday for the biopsy, very nervous and scared.

As it turned out, 6 people were in the room while I was getting it done. That in itself freaked me out so I asked about it. A new machine was being used, so others wanted to watch. Someone else was being trained. The ultrasound tech was there, a nurse, a student, and god knows who else. I really didn't care and everything they said went in one ear and out the other. I heard the words but didn't hear them, if you know what I mean.

I was on the table, Dr. on the left, ultrasound tech on the right, and everyone else at my feet. Told them I had a massive fear of needles and also that I have a problem getting numb. Numbing agents either work for a very short time on me, or not at all. Dr. said he would " shoot" his way in, shooting lidocane in before the needle. I felt the first pinch. I didn't look at all. I heard and felt the lidocane squirting into my breast, but not any pain. I got numb almost immediately. Then the Dr. used the instrument to go into my breast and take the samples. I think about 6. I did not look at anything while it was going on. It took maybe 5 minutes and it was done.

I had to go right away to get another mammogram. I was told my breast would be numb for an hour or so, but the licodane had already wore off. After the mamo I went in to do paperwork and was given an ice pack.

I wanted more info. I was told I was BIRAD 4, 3mm-1 cm indeterminate in appearance. Was a solid and not a cyst. There was a tiny bit of blood flow. Was told I'd get the results in 2 days, unfortunately, it was a Thursday, so I had to wait until Monday.

Today is Monday and I got the call. Benign. Whewwwwwwwwwwww!!!
Micro-calcification and fibrocycstic is what I remember being told, but the BENIGN is what I remember.

I know this was long, but I hope it helps someone, like many of your posts helped me.

B.

The Following User Says Thank You to Brainfogbetty For This Useful Post:
psalms38 (12-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
(female)

nibbsie HB User
Re: My breast cancer scare (Lump found Birad 4)

So happy to hear your good news! Go out and celebrate!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:01 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User
Re: My breast cancer scare (Lump found Birad 4)

Yeah and my story ,4 yrs later stage iv with brain mets ,liver mets etc because my biopsy was "benign". I am pretty sure the RAD dr doing mine,and he was a staff dr screwed up big time or else the Path dr did!

Closed Thread