It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Milton,KY USA
Posts: 2
Beardsteph HB User
BIOPSY or WAIT 6 MONTHS??

I am 36 y/o and recently had my baseline screening mammogram with no palpable mass or lump. As I walked out of the room I noticed an area on the film that was still on the screen that I felt looked abnormal so I halfway expected to get called about it. The following week I WAS called to have a diagnosic mammo & U/S. Side note: I did have a small palpable lump in '99 in which the U/S showed nonhomogeneous echo pattern seen throughout the same breast in question. I forgot to mention this previous U/S to my current doctor.

The only family history of breast cancer I have is my mother's grandmother. She died at 63 because her breast cancer had already metastasized to her lungs.

The results of spot compression films show :focal asymmetric density has become less defined than the density seen on films 2wks ago. U/S states that there is no evidence of any solid mass or abnormal cystic elements, become less defines and the radiologist, after asking if I was a worrier (to which I quickly but inaccurately replied "no", recommends waiting 6 months and redoing the mammogram. Not sure why I said no, it just came out when in fact, I am. I am thinking that if I had said "yes" she may have asked if I wanted to do a biopsy now, to which I KNOW I'd have said "YES" (even though I HATE needles) because I'd rather know now.

So should I wait based on the results and avoid an unnecessary biopsy at this point or ease my mind and just do it? Just looking for opinions. Thanks!

 
The following user gives a hug of support to Beardsteph:
CryllianMarie (06-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 06-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: oradell, nj
Posts: 51
nibbsie HB User
Re: BIOPSY or WAIT 6 MONTHS??

Hi!
I will offer my opinion--I once did the "watch and wait" routine, and, believe me when I tell you this, but every day of those 6 long months, I worried about the cluster of calcifications in my breast, all day and night. At the end of the six months, nothing had really changed in the mammo, but I couldn't bear going through another day wondering and had the biopsy. It was benign, and I was so happy and relieved that it was over.
It is not an easy time. Perhaps they can do a simple needle biopsy under the mammo. I had 2 done this year, and I had the results in an hour.
Good luck, sweetie! I am here if you have any further questions.

 
Old 06-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Milton,KY USA
Posts: 2
Beardsteph HB User
Re: BIOPSY or WAIT 6 MONTHS??

Did the radiologist and Doctors act like it was not necessary to do the biopsy since there had been no change? I called today to go ahead and schedule the biopsy for my own peace of mind and they are acting like there is no reason, so they are having the doctor call me back. It is frustrating because now I feel like maybe I should wait but in my line of work, summer is a better time of year to take a day or two off and IF it were something that needed dealt with further, I would have the time. Not t mention that my deductibe is paid for the year and 6 months will be December. UGH!

 
Old 06-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: oradell, nj
Posts: 51
nibbsie HB User
Re: BIOPSY or WAIT 6 MONTHS??

The problem that I had was that I had a cluster of many calcifications that were overlapping each other. Each appeared to be smooth and round-a usually benign sign. But I had many of them clustered together. The radiologist thought we should wait and see if there was any change in 6months. My doctor thought it was safe to wait also and see. I went along with their opinion. But I worried about was under that cluster--how about the ones they couldn't see? I worried that maybe a change was taking place during that time, and, if I had acted sooner, it could still have been benign. Those were the thoughts that went around and around in my mind.
After 6 months, they were the same. I could have watched and waited another 6 months, but I couldn't take the stress of it anymore, so I opted to have it removed. I didn't want to wait to hear the words, "Well, it has changed. Now it has to be biopsied."
A biopsy done in the mammo dept. is easy and fast. It does not require general anesthesia. I have had them done under a mammo, ultrasound, and even an MRI machine. The radiologist injects the area with a local anesthesia, and then takes a sample out of the area. I had two done this past Feb. Unfortunately, mine came out with abnormal cells, and I then had to have a surgical biopsy (benign).
Please keep me posted, and good luck to you!

 
Old 06-15-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Anderson, Indiana
Posts: 11
BabyGurl2013 HB User
Re: BIOPSY or WAIT 6 MONTHS??

my mom had breast cancer and the same thing happened with her. she got her first mammogram and she had a spot and they didn't worry about it. then, the doctors just stopped worrying about it and she forgot about her biopsy. she waited til she felt a bigger mass on her breast and went to the doctor. she had stage four breast cancer and her spot grew from tiny(micro-sized) to the size of a half dollar. she didn't have any family member that had it either.. so if i were you, I'd go have it checked out and take every step possible. if you want more than your doctors opinion, go to multiple doctors. do what it takes.

 
The following user gives a hug of support to BabyGurl2013:
CryllianMarie (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Valley, Alabama, USA
Posts: 2
CryllianMarie HB User
Re: BIOPSY or WAIT 6 MONTHS??

My mammo also did not show a mass nor did the ultrasound show anything, but I chose to have a biopsy and with your grandmother's history, if I were you, I would also have a biopsy. When they did my biopsy, they found a mass deep in the center of the breast that was malignant. Yours may be nothing, but the constant worry associated with waiting is ridiculous! Go ahead and have your biopsy and clear your mind one way or the other!

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
What would you do? Surgical biopsy or 6 month follow-up??? sarasota2004 Cancer: Breast 11 05-10-2010 04:32 PM
stereotactic now excisional biopsy question please chis Cancer: Breast 23 12-16-2009 06:41 AM
Do I need to do a surgical biopsy or see another doctor? shirley59 Cancer: Breast 6 07-21-2008 08:29 AM
MRI Guided Biopsy--how does it work? bull379 Cancer: Breast 5 12-21-2007 10:09 AM
anxiously waiting for cone biopsy (long) Julie02 Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 17 03-29-2007 02:17 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:18 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!