It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
(female)

arbie25 HB User
25 and in need of a mammogram

I'm 25 and randomly felt a large lump in my right breast today, above the nipple. My half sister was recently diagnosed with stage two breast cancer and my grandmother had it, so I was concerned, even though I know my risk of breast cancer is very low because of my age. I don't smoke, I live a healthy life, I'm at a healthy weight, etc.

But all day I was worried so finally my boyfriend convinced me to go to the ER (because it's a Sunday night) to put my mind at ease. But the doctor at the ER said that because of my family history, I will need to schedule a mammogram tomorrow and possibly get a biopsy after that.

Just the words mammogram, biopsy, have made me scared and unable to focus on my work. Has anyone in their 20's gone through the experience of feeling a lump? How did it turn out for you?

I'm also really afraid of the mammogram. I hear it hurts quite a bit. Is there anything I can do to prepared?

Any words about your experience are extremely appreciated. I'm just in shock that I even need a mammogram so young and that I might have cancer.

Last edited by arbie25; 06-12-2011 at 06:07 PM. Reason: grammar

Old 06-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
(female)

arbie25 HB User
Re: 25 and in need of a mammogram

Okay, so they did an ultrasound of the lump and said it looked like a fibroadenoma and said I could:

1- Biopsy it to be sure
2- Ultrasound it again every 6 months for 2 years to see if it grows
or 3- Remove it via lumpectomy

I agreed to the biopsy but I'm thinking maybe I'll just remove it instead. Thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

With your family history I really think removing the lump would be best!Thats what I would do

Old 07-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
(female)

arbie25 HB User

Update: I had the breast mass removed yesterday. They still have to do the pathology to see if it is cancer or not, but it's most likely a fibroadenoma.

I was pretty scared to have the surgery. They had to cut at the areola to get to the 3cm mass, so I was worried about scarring and dimpling. I was also afraid of post surgery pain.

Here's what happened: I went to the hospital, filled out paperwork, took a pregnancy test, got into a surgical cap and gown, and they put an IV in my arm. They numbed the area where the IV went in so it would not hurt as much. Then they have me something to relax me, and wheeled me into the OR. Then they gave me something to knock me out.

I woke up and was very groggy, and they wheeled me to my car. I had someone drive me home and when I got there I slept for two hours. When I woke up, I was in a lot of pain. My head and neck ached and I was vomiting- I couldn't keep down even a sip of water. It was really terrible. My doctor faxed in a prescription for some anti nausea meds and I picked them up. They helped a lot, but I still couldn't eat anything. I slept most of the day.

The next day, I was fine. Still slightly nauseous, but overall okay. The area where I had the surgery hardly hurts at all. I have pain meds if it gets worse.

But I was surprised that the worst part was the nausea and headache from the anesthesia. For anyone reading this who has to have a breast mass removed, just know that the pain won't be too bad when it's over. It wasn't as scary as I expected.

Closed Thread