It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
(female)

melissa0117 HB User
An "Incomplete" mammogram? Worried!

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on these boards.

So, my mom has annual mammograms (she hasn't had one in since 2008, unfortunately she didn't have health insurance, but she has it back now). She got her mammogram at a clinic, and I guess they were read at the hospital because the hospital called my mom back a couple of days later saying that it was incomplete and she needed to schedule an appointment to make a new one.

Now, what the heck does that even mean?! She now has to make an appointment at the hospital to get it re-done, and she's doing it this Thursday. I don't know if this means that they found something abnormal and she has to do it again? If the mammogram wasn't clear, why didn't the people at the clinic have her re-do it right then and there? That usually happens to my mom, where she has to stay in the clinic and re-do it the same day, but that didn't happen this time.

Sometimes I feel like a hypochondriac when it comes to her. I am really worried about this. She has no history of breast cancer. I just don't get how the mammogram wasn't able to be read or they need more slides. Can anyone provide me any insight??

Also: she was told that she will be at the hospital for about 2 hours? why? Is that because they just take a longer time at the hospital?

She doesn't have any symptoms of anything really

Thanks

Last edited by melissa0117; 06-21-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: add more info

Old 06-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: An "Incomplete" mammogram? Worried!

Hi and welcome. Don't panic if she was told her mammogram results are incomplete. This usually means the radiologist needs more information to make the most accurate assessment of your results. The radiologist may request further studies or copies of previous studies for comparison purposes.

Seeing she had it done in one place and it may have been read elsewhere could be the reason. They are getting more and more picky so as to NOT over look something. I got called back once as they thought they saw something on the picture. They showed it to me when I got there and I told them it looked like a dirt spot, as I had done filming for almost 30 years and had seen spots like that.

They had to re-do the mammogram and they had me wait till it was read so that if anything looked out of place they could redo it, but it was a dirt spot. I know it is nerve racking to go through this but better they double check then have something show up later. It's usually better to have them done at the same place each time this way they have an earlier one to refer to.

Best of wishes and keep us posted how it went...JJ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
(female)

melissa0117 HB User
Re: An "Incomplete" mammogram? Worried!

Hi, thank you very much for the reply.

I'm glad to hear that everything turned out to be OK for you. I know, it's better to be safe than sorry.. but I still can't help being worried!

I get that they need more to be able to come to a conclusion, but does that mean they found something and they want to make sure that it's actually there? They didn't tell my mom that they found anything.. in fact, my mom told me that when she asked if they found anything that they said no, but I'm not really convinced of that because why else would they want a second one?

My mom actually went to the same clinic as last time, I'm just not sure why the hospital that it's affiliated with read the results. I think my mom might have accidentally put on the form that she wanted her results to be sent there instead of the clinic.

I'm trying not to freak out about this, which is a very uncharacteristic thing of me to do.. haha Thanks again!!

Closed Thread

Tags
incomplete, mammogram, worried