It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
(female)

missyb57 HB User
Category 4 mammo US results

I have had what my gyn said was Fibrocystic breasts for at least 10 years. For the last year I kept going to him telling him that my left breast hurt so bad I could cut it off myself. He said just the FCD. I have a mammogram every year and a couple times I have had to have US on the right breast because of the cysts, but never the left one which is the hurting one.

So I went to a differetn gyn, a woman and she sent me for another mammogram and US on my left breast.

Here are my results
There is a 2.5 cm focus of asymmetric breast tissue with heterogeneous echogenicity and some shadowing. There is otherwise homogenous visualized breast parenchyma with no cystic or solid mass lesion identienfie

Impression
Asymmetric breast tissue at teh 6 o clock position left breast with some shadowing. Although this could be related to infectious or inflammatory etiology neoplasia cannot be excluded. Recommend and appropriate course of antibiotics follwed by ultrasound guided breast biopsy

Mammogram Code 4 Suspicious abnormality

My gyn put me on Duricef twice a day for 10 days and then wants the biopsy 2 weeks after this.

I have to say that so far no relief from the pain. I am very nervous and anxious about this. I had 2 aunts with breast cancer.

Anyone else have this finding and if so did it turn out benign, I hope???
Thanks

Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Category 4 mammo US results

Sorry to hear you have to go through this! The good news is, almost 90% of abnormalities found on mammogram are benign when biopsied.

When you go for biopsy, the doctor will use an ultrasound machine to place a long needle right into the "suspicious abnormality." He will remove a little tissue and send it to a lab for analysis.

The bad news is, it'll be a while until you know for sure, because it takes 3-4 weeks for the biopsy results to come back. Still, it's good that you are getting tested appropriately. If it is benign, maybe it's still something a surgeon could remove, to relieve your pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
missyb57 (08-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
(female)

missyb57 HB User

Well the odd thing is it didnt show up on the mammogram just on the ultrasound. Yep I am hoping that maybe just that can be drained or removed.

Thank you for your reply.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
(female)

nibbsie HB User

Hi I had a biopsy done under the ultrasound sound last Feb. It was done at a breast center in a hospital, and I was told the results one hour later. My results were abnormal cells, so I had a surgical biopsy done a week later. Thankfully, those results were benign.
I just want to tell you that it is not a difficult or painful procedure. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. I wish you luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to nibbsie For This Useful Post:
missyb57 (08-17-2011)
Old 08-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
(female)

missyb57 HB User

Glad to hear it wasnt painful. The 2 biopsies I had on my left and right thyroid were painful. Got the date for my biopsy Sept 6th

Old 09-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
(female)

missyb57 HB User

I had my biopsy done Sept 12 and it was AWFUL painful! The dr didnt numb the skin or anything just stuck the needle in and starting injecting the numbing stuff. The he made a slit and put in what I called a vacuum sucker. He sucked a lot of stuff out and it hurt so bad. They put a steri strip on it. The next day my whole breast was black. It has been 3 weeks and the bruising just left.

I got 2 different path reports so I am now more confused than ever. The first report was this:
Sections show portions of breast tissue with fibrocystic disease including fibrosis and scattered cysts. Several foci suggestive of ADH are present. No invasive tumor is seen. A background of pseudoangiomatous stromal hyperplasia is present.
The surgeon had me wean off of my Premarin and start taking Tamoxifen.

So then they sent it to another lab and they sent it to another lab and this is the last pathology report:
Sections of breast tissue with focal cookie cutter ductal hyperplasia and focal expansion of terminal ductiles. In addition there is stromal hyalinization and slit like spaces. There is no evidence of infiltratrive malignancy
Diagnosis:
Gynecomastoid like ductal hyperplasia with associated pseudoangiomatous hyperplasia

I dont know if they are 1 in the same thing or if they are 2 diagnosis. My anxiety disorder is on overdrive. I dont go back to the surgeon for a couple weeks.

Does anyone else ever have this diagnosis and if so, what is it and how is it treated?
Thank ya'll so much

Old 09-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

They are both saying approximately the same thing. You have some benign growths, and you have very dense breasts.

For now you are ok: "No evidence of infiltrative malignancy." They will keep a close eye on your breasts in the future, though.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
(female)

missyb57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
They are both saying approximately the same thing. You have some benign growths, and you have very dense breasts.

For now you are ok: "No evidence of infiltrative malignancy." They will keep a close eye on your breasts in the future, though.
Oh Thank You so much. Do you think that the pain will eventually ease up?? Or is it just 1 of those things we learn to live with

Closed Thread