It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
(female)

AlicenWonderlan HB User
30 years old and 1st Mammogram/Ultrasound

Hi, I'm 30 years old, and a few weeks ago my OBGYN thought she felt something odd in my left breast. I had a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound done on Monday this week. I felt very embarrassed and self-conscious about the whole ordeal. I hated that I had to walk around and wait in a room with other lades while braless luckily the mammogram and ultrasound tech were both females and very nice. I still felt embarrassed but they were able to put me a little bit more at ease. While I was laying there getting the ultrasound done I saw a breast x-ray on the screen with a white dot in it, I knew it was mine. She concentrated her search in one area and showed me what she saw and said the Radiologist may want to take another look at it. A short while after she finished a young, handsome, man comes in and says heís the radiologist and needed to take another look. I was mortified when I saw him (because he was so cute) and wanted to cry, I felt very uncomfortable having to show my breast for another ultrasound. And if things couldnít get any worse he proceeds to touch the lump, saying oh yeah, I feel it. He shams me for not doing a self breast exam and I try to explain why I donít but he didnít seem to listen (their very ďlumpyĒ and I canít tell whatís a lump and whatís normal...not a very good excuse, I know..).

They didn't find anything in the area my OBGYN was concerned about but they found a mass on my right breast. The radiologist called it a tumor. I wasnít surprised by this but wasnít expected to decide on the next course of action. The radiologist told me itís probably nothing and they could look at it again in 6 months, do a biopsy now or surgically remove it (but he said that would leave an ugly scar and I didnít want that). I wasnít too concerned with any of this so I opted to wait 6 months but when I got home I began to worry and worry and worry. So I called and got an appointment for a biopsy (core biopsy) that will be done next Wednesday. I keep trying to find the lump but I canít This is very frustrating and I can't seem to think about anything else. Iím very nervous about the biopsy and donít do well with this sorta stuff.

Ah! Thanks for letting me vent about my experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
Re: 30 years old and 1st Mammogram/Ultrasound

AlicenWonderlan

How did your biopsy go? I know it can be very embarrassing, I think because I have had so many and even had one of the lumps surgically removed and three biopsies done via MRI with a male radiologist who had to hold compression for 10 mins on both breasts that it is really second nature to me now. I have had more men and women push, squish, feel me up that I just expect to be showing off my breasts to anyone who ventures into the room.
I hope all went well for you this week and that the pathology comes back negative. My guess is that your have what is called a fibroadenoma (benign breast lump which begins to shrink once you enter menopause for which you have a long way to go before that next adventure). Let me know how you did.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
(female)

AlicenWonderlan HB User

Hi Brenda,
Thanks for asking about my biopsy. It wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be. They gave me Valium to take before the biopsy to calm me down but I was so worked up that it didn't work. It only hurt when they numbed my breast. I felt a lot of pressure and heard the popping and tearing of the tissue which bothered me mentally but other than things went ok. I don't think I bruised at all either and i'm just a little sore. I was soo stressed over the biopsy and now that its over I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Hopefully I won't ever have to do this again but if I do then I won't be so scared.
Now I just have to wait, and i'm worrying. He said the earliest Iíll know is Monday and the latest is Wednesday. I usually look forward to the weekend but I hope this one flies by. He thought it looked benign but in the back of my mind I keep thinking what if he's wrong. I hope he's right though.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
(female)

AlicenWonderlan HB User

They called me with the results today and its a benign fibroadenoma tumor. I'm so relieved. This was the longest weekend ever and to keep myself from going crazy I cleaned the whole time, so at least my house is cleaned from top to bottom. They said I would need to return in 6 months for another mammogram and ultrasound on that breast. I suppose to see if its grown any bigger or changed, but they said the chances are slim it will turn malignant. I'm very happy now

Old 09-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

Great news!!!! I am sure that when you return in six months for your follow-up mammogram and ultasound you will be given a clean bill of health.

Closed Thread