It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 04:01 AM   #1
(female)

sula11 HB User
Mammogram after Lumpectomy

Last year I was diagnosed with breast cancer, very small, in fact so small it could not be staged. It was removed by a lumpectomy and the doctor said tht he got good margins and was confident that everything was okay. I had 33 treatments of radiation and am currently takin anti-estrogen therapy for 5 years. I had my mammogram yesterday followed by a sonogram. The radiologist saw something but could not tell if it was a tumor or scar tissue from all my treatments. The doctor who deals with mammograms was out of town until next week. Do I need to be concerned or just wait until I hear from her to know exactly what is going on? The nurses told me thsat she knew more about what she would be looking at. The radiologist I saw was talking biopsy, watching it for 3-6 months, etc. he did not seem to be very sure of himself. I am, to say the least very confused at this point.

Last edited by sula11; 03-23-2012 at 04:04 AM.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
(female)

mylittlelucy HB User
Re: Mammogram after Lumpectomy

you sound almost identical to my situation. i had a lumpectomy last may, also for an extremely small tumor. however, they did class mine as IDC, stage1, no node involvement with clear markers. i had mammosite radiation for a week and am also taking the hormone blocker for 5 years. i'm scheduled for my first mammogram since surgery last may in 2 weeks and i'm petrified. not only about wondering if they will see something again but thinking of the pain that might be felt on the breast i had the surgery on. i still have pain in that breast, and i was told it could continue for quite some time (scar tissue, etc.). just can't imagine them "squishing" that breast!!!!!

i wouldn't get too excited about your mammo and wait until the mammo doctor returns next week. i know RELAXING and NOT WORRYING are things we no longe do - we are expert at worrying, and i think we will be forever.

the best of everything to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
(female)

RavenMad HB User
Re: Mammogram after Lumpectomy

Sula11, I would wait, but the doctor who reads the mammogram is generally not the doctor who gives you the results. It would be whoever placed the order for the mammogram. That is who you need to see. He/she gets the information from the official mammogram doctor anyway. If they still cannot tell, then they usually ask for an ultrasound, then they would do a biopsy depending on the results of the ultrasound. I would just wait. Guessing will just drive you up a wall, find a hobby, read some books, either way find something to keep your mind off of it until the doctor is back. Good luck. Roni.

I was in your place in 2007 when I was diagnosed with Stage1 HER2-, estrogen positive receptor breast cancer. I too was suppose to take anti-female hormones for 5 and a half years, but only was able to take them for one year. My doctor just cleared me even though it has only been 4 and a half years. My mammogram looked good and my blood work came back fine.

Closed Thread