It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
(female)

Angelalovew HB User
Someone, please help me... horrified to go back for spot compression and ultrasound

I'm 58, and had a mammagram last week. I got that dreaded call yesterday that I have to go back on Friday for a spot compression and an ultrasound. Mama had breast cancer at age 70. Its like THIS is all that consumes my mind; I trust in God, but I can't get rid of this fear

I copied the lab report.... can someone help me understand it?

Scattered fibroglanduar densities. Subcentimeter oval density lower inner quadrant left breast, middle third, which was not identified previously. ML and spot compression views as well as left breast ultrasound recommended. No suspisiously clustered microcalfications, areas of architectural distortion or axillary adenopathy.
BI-RADS 0-assessment incomplete. Additional imaging of left breast needed.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
(female)

Jaye66 HB UserJaye66 HB UserJaye66 HB User
Re: Someone, please help me... horrified to go back for spot compression and ultrasou

I am not sure what it all means, sounds like you have dense breasts? It's very common to have additional views and a sonogram. Every time I have a mammogram I have to have additional views and almost every time I end up getting a sonogram. Luckily though, I never have to wait for that dreaded letter. Everything is done at the same visits and I know my results when I leave. Good luck ! Let me know how you make out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaye66 For This Useful Post:
Angelalovew (03-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
(female)

Angelalovew HB User
Re: Someone, please help me... horrified to go back for spot compression and ultrasou

My appointment was today. They found a complex nodule. Not sure what that means. They called it a complex lesion too. I have to see a surgeon for a needle biopsy.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

uptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB User

I home you have had the biopsy by now. I just signed up for this board yesterday. Please let us know how you are doing and what the resulf of your test was. So many of these things are benign. Hang in there, I know how scared you are. Take care, Sharon

The Following User Says Thank You to uptownJ For This Useful Post:
Angelalovew (04-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

uptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB User

One more thing..... PLEASE.... EVERYBODY.... when you get a test result written in "greek" do not be afraid to call the radiologist back and have them translate. I have found so many people will suffer, needlessly because they don't thing they "should or can" call to ask questions. If the radiologist can't speak to you, a technician can. You will then be able to ask any questions you have at that time. It will take away a lot of the terror of the unknown. Sharon

Old 04-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
(female)

Angelalovew HB User

My needle biopsy is April 17th... unless there is a cancellation and I can get in earlier.
I pray its not cancer. The radiologist said it doesn't look suspicious... I'm hanging on to those words... this waiting seems like SOOOOOO long.
I'm wondering tho -- even if its benign, will it have to come out? They will do the needle biopsy while looking at the ultrasound... its small and you can't feel it.
When you are going thru this, its like ALL you see on TV is cancer institues, and you hear of others who have breast cancer I pray and pray and pray.....

Old 04-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

The 17th is an eternity when you are waiting for something like this. Radiologists see these things all the time, so I would take comfort in those words. When I went in for a biopsy, the radiologist told me to plan on it coming back as cancer. She was right.
As for moving up the appointment, I would call the office each morning to ask if there was a cancellation. You never know, you may get lucky and snag an earlier appointment. Keep in mind, it usually takes about 3 days to get test results back. One more thing, I found the lump in my breast 7 months after my annual mammogram. It felt like cauliflower under my skin. It felt uneven, and the edges were also uneven. There wasn't a smooth place on it. When I felt it, it was weird, clearly unlike any other lump I had felt in my breast. I hope you can set this worry aside. Most of these lumps are benign, this is small, the radiologist did not think it looked suspicious. When you have scary thoughts creeping into your mind, crowd them out with the more positive facts. Hang in there, I hope you let us know how it turns out. Take care, Sharon

Old 04-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
(female)

Angelalovew HB User

You are so sweet, so kind... when did you have surgery?

Old 04-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
(female)

Angelalovew HB User

Did you have a needle biopsy?
I guess why I'm worried... why send me for a needle biopsy if he thinks its ok?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

I had surgery in 2007.

The Following User Says Thank You to uptownJ For This Useful Post:
Angelalovew (04-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Every place has a different criteria for recommending biopsy's. For whatever reason, you fit into that recommendation. I know exactly how you are feeling.... terror, panic, and being driven crazy by the "what-if's" that won't leave you alone. There are all sorts of benign things this could be. The radiologist, who has looked at many "things" has to be 100% sure this isn't BC. The radiologist could be doing this biopsy more out of covering his/her be-hind rather than worrying this is BC. Hang in there.... and I'd bug them for an earlier appointment. Take care, Sharon

Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
(female)

Angelalovew HB User

You make me feel so much better. I'm calling Monday to see if there are any cancellations. The surgeon is on vacation all this week, so I'm thinking I'll have to wait til April 17th... but I'm sure going to try.
I am so glad you are doing good now. My mama had breast cancer at age 70, 7 years ago. She had the lump removed, then she had a mammasite for radiation to be put in (it went into Mama thru a port) and she is doing great.
Thank you Lord!!!

Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
(female)

Angelalovew HB User

You make me feel so much better. I'm calling Monday to see if there are any cancellations. The surgeon is on vacation all this week, so I'm thinking I'll have to wait til April 17th... but I'm sure going to try.
I am so glad you are doing good now. My mama had breast cancer at age 70, 7 years ago. She had the lump removed, then she had a mammasite for radiation to be put in (it went into Mama thru a port) and she is doing great.
Thank you Lord!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Angelalovew:
uptownJ (04-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
(female)

Jaye66 HB UserJaye66 HB UserJaye66 HB User

I totally agree. They have to check it out to be sure. It would be horrible if they dismissed it as being nothing and then find out when it's too late that it was indeed something. I do think though, that the chances are it's nothing. Especially if the radiologist didn't seem concerned. Good luck and I really hope that you can get in sooner.

The following user gives a hug of support to Jaye66:
Angelalovew (04-05-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaye66 For This Useful Post:
Angelalovew (04-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

I can see why you will have to wait... since the doctor isn't going to be in town. Another reason the radiologist is being so careful is because you have had a family member with breast cancer. It sounds like your Mom had great care and she is doing well today because of it. It is difficult to have to wait and I really wish there was a magic answer I could give you to help get you through this time. Hang in there and there is a good chance this is not going to have a bad outcome. Blessings to you, Sharon

Closed Thread