It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Harmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB User
Total nightmare

I just got back from my mammogram and ultra sound & it was a nightmare. I started getting more scared when the lady doing the mammogram came in and said they needed another picture of the right breast. When cancer was found 10 yrs. ago it was in the left breast. For about 3 yrs. before being diagnosed they started taking extra pictures, now it's starting with the right breast! My biopsy showed years ago I have lobular hyperplasia. This doesn't just go away evidently. My cancer wasn't lobular, but this hyperplasia stuff which means greater chance of returning, & even in the other breast, now is really freaking me out.

The years since I had the cancer in the left breast there hasn't been any more let's get another picture routine, until today. They spent more time looking at the ultra sound on my right breast in an area I'm sure will be watched until they see cancer again. Now I'm convinced the exact same thing is starting to happen again but now in the right breast. I guess they decide to keep watching before doing a biopsy. That word alone freaks me out. The other years I've had my mammograms I celebrated afterwards & went out to eat and shopping smiling all the way. Today I just cried all the way home & don't want to go outside now. My mother died young at age 60 and I'm close to that age, I feel really depressed and wish I could celebrate being a 10 yr. survivor. I don't feel like a survivor because it's like I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm exhausted from everything.

On top of all this which is worse, my daughter will be going in this week to have a biopsy lumps in her neck. This of course bothers me and concerns me even over my current freak out with my right breast. Then it will be another two weeks to get the results from that. I fear because my mammogram experience didn't go well her experience won't go well.
I pray that's not the case; I hate that she is having to be tortured at such a young age with this biopsy stuff, especially with her having my two young grandchildren who need their mother.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

uptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB User
Re: Total nightmare

Oh Harmony, I am so sorry to hear this and can completely understand why you are so worried. Are they going to do a biopsy of the area or just watch it? Your terror antenna are up for a perfectly good reason. If I were you... I would get an MRI, and if needed, an appointment with your oncologist or your surgeon. Information is power and the unknown is the most terrifying. Waiting for the other shoe to drop isn't a good way to live life. I would ask for an MRI because of the denseness of the breast tissue. I would be as pro-active as you can be. It is scary but you are in control. You put on those big girl panties and be your own best advocate. Do not cower from this challenge hit it head-on. You have got to get some better answers and relieve your anxiety. Start with the radiologist asking what are the chances of this turning out like the other side? Be demanding about an MRI.... if there is cancer, it will light it up like a Christmas tree bulb and be found at a much earlier stage. If it is clear.... YAHOO! and go shopping! I get an MRI every year just because I want to be ahead of things if I have a recurrance. Am I terrified??? ABSOLUTELY but I don't want to sit back and watch it get me. Hang in there Harmony..... please go out and get more information. Blessing's Sharon

The Following User Says Thank You to uptownJ For This Useful Post:
Harmoney (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
(female)

nibbsie HB User

Harmony--Did anyone talk to you after the mammography or the ultrasound? Do you have any idea about what they saw?
I have been in the same position as this many times having many extra films taken and many "zooming" in on one spot. Sometimes it does show something that needs a biopsy or a "watch for 6 months," or other times, it is because they thought they saw something, there was a fold, or some other benign reason. Lets hope for the best! Saying a prayer for you!
Carm

Old 04-11-2012, 05:51 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Harmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB User

They told me to come back next year, but I'm going to go to my onc. and talk with her about it. This has never happened before, except it started happening three years before i was diagnosed with B.C. in the other breast. They took the extra picture on the mammogram & the doctor said that one looked OK then, she said it looked different on the ultrasound though and that's scary. I never had ultrasounds before being diagnosed; it was found from the mammogram. The lobular hyperplasia found from my biopsy scares me a lot. I read in 20 % of the cases a woman will get B.C. in her other breast within 15 yrs. It's now been 11 for me. Just when I was starting to kind of feel safe & now this. I have such bad luck I'm afraid I will be in the 20% just as I was one out of 8 women who got it. I think there are a lot less extra pictures that have to be taken from digital mammos & those have been the kind I've gotten since my diagnosis.

How long has it been for you, or maybe hopefully you've never gotten this god awful disease.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #5
(female)

nibbsie HB User

Hi Harmony,
I was diagnosed in 1998 with LCIS. I have had many biopsies with abnormal findings. I also am so afraid of the time when I will have a cancer diagnosis. I think because of my LCIS diagnosis and your diagnosis, they take extra precautions when we have our mammographies. I think that what may have appeared on your mammogram looked like a cyst on the ultrasound. Your doctor will have the reports and he will go over them with you. Believe me---if it looked like anything had the potential of being malignant, you would be headed for a biopsy, and not waiting for a year. Talk to your doctor, and then go out to celebrate!!! Love to you!

The Following User Says Thank You to nibbsie For This Useful Post:
Harmoney (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

I kept being told come back next year for 3 yrs. before being diagnosed. I think when changes first start, like what must be now happening in my right breast, they must take the wait and see attitude. I will still go to the onc. it certainly can't hurt. She will probably say let's wait and see too. It's too bad there are so many false positives with an MRI. Have you ever had one? I wonder if they ever just go ahead and do a biopsy when it is at the stage of mine where they just see a change. I guess we will never be able to relax, some people I know act like I just had a cold and then got over it. They haven't got a clue of what a nightmare it can be for the majority of us.

Would the radiologist suggest an MRI or would that have to be ordered like the mammogram and ultra sound were? It's scary if I didn't complain about breast pain they wouldn't have done an ultra sound. I like to have both because I also get the results right away. I can't mentally take waiting around for two weeks to get the results from a mammogram. If they had just gone by the mammogram alone and the extra picture I would have passed without seeing any changes. Sounds like everyone needs all 3 test but I know that's not possible. Last year they only did an ultra sound on my left breast because I said I wasn't feeling any pain in the right at the time. I think that's strange they'd ever do an ultra sound and not check both breast. Now they've checked both and look what happened. Also the year before I was diagnosed in the left breast a needle biopsy was done and it said I did not have cancer. A year later more changes seen on mammogram and then they did a surgical biopsy. So all along I did have cancer. Scary!!!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

uptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB User

If I were to choose any test, it would be an MRI. In my case, it was the test that really showed I had breast cancer. I don't know how many false positives.... that could be a rumor that has grown-legs. The dye injected for an MRI is taken up by breast cancer tumor which are usually rich with blood supply. In my case, my 2.2cm tumor looked like a light bulb. I went to the clinic in which the doctor who developled MRI for breast cancer diagnosis. I got to talk to him personally about MRI's and my case in particular. He pointed out so many things in my MRI and I could totally see the significance in getting this test. I was diagnosed with invasive ductal cancer stage 2B with one node positive. He gave me a lot of information that was much more comfort and reasurance, that than horror about the diagnosis. I just worry about wait and see. I still don't think you have enough information and am convinced since you are so worried. I would be too so I completely understand your fear and feel you are justified. I would get an appointment with the radiologist and discuss your concerns. Since you have had breast cancer, I would get a consult with your oncologist and possibly surgeon. I am surprised the radiologist place isn't giving you quicker results. The place I go, I do not leave until I get my mammogram results. Same thing with the ultrasound. I totally get it.... think it's a nightmare. Keep us posted... Sharon

Old 04-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
(female)

nibbsie HB User

Hi Harmoney,
To begin with your doctor has to order the MRI. Then you have to find out if your insurance will cover it. Many do not cover it. From what I understand, MRIs are very sensitive and pick up any little piece of "junk" that is in your breast. Let me tell you my experience. Three years ago, I had had a mammo and and ultrasound. Both were negative. Because of my history, the radiologist recommended a baseline MRI. My insurance co. approved it. I had the MRI and it showed a small area of "junk." That is what my doctor called it. No one knew what it was so I had a biopsy under the MRI. The pathology showed cells that were so abnormal that they were on the verge of turning malignant. The pathologist was afraid that some of the cells may not have been removed and that they may have turned malignant so I had a surgical lumpectomy. My pathology for that was a benign papilloma. I have to believe that the MRI saved me because those cells would have been malignant by the time I had my next mammo. I also believe that they must have gotten all the cells in the first biopsy. My doctor does not commit himself and says "who knows what would happen. Maybe they would just stay abnormal and benign, or they could have turned malignant."
So I don't know if my story helps or not. You have to trust your doctor and let him decide if he feels you should have one. If he does, make sure you go to a place that has a wide MRI where you go in feet first. My first one was a head in first and it was scary. The other one when I had the biopsy was done in a hospital, and I went in feet first--it made so much of a difference. Please keep me posted and good luck!

Closed Thread