It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
(female)

Kayla6400 HB User
17 Years Old with Breast Cancer concerns

Hi everyone. I am 17 years old, turning 18 soon. I have had many bizarre symptoms for quite some time now, that keep bringing me back to thinking of breast cancer. And before I list these symptoms and such I would like to point out that I do not want to tell my mom if I don't have to. My aunt (her sister) died from breast cancer not long ago. We have also had several close family members and friends die from other cancers as well. Therefore, I really don't want to worry her.
For one thing, my breasts developed fairly quickly, and at a young age. They have always been sensitive and I suppose what you call tender. I must always have a bra on, because it hurts too much otherwise. I cant even imagine how some sleep on their stomachs, without a bra. (Ouch!) I also have inverted nipples, with discharge, and one has bled before. Its been a while. The areolas are often very wrinkly, and sometimes a bit flakey. Also, when the nipples do point out (kind of and only when I'm undressed & really cold) they have this whitish look that looks like its under the skin, its hard to explain, but it looks gross. Also, I've been sick a ton this year, ilke every week.
Now I have had blood tests for other things since most of these symptoms, as well as a chest x-ray. Now wouldnt these have picked up breast cancer if thats what it was? Or no because they were looking/testing for it? Also, I have a mole thats going to be looked at near one of my nipples. If they take it off & test it, could it show breast cancer? Please share your thoughts, and I really want to know if i should actually be concerned.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

uptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB User
Re: 17 Years Old with Breast Cancer concerns

First of all, talk to your mom, she loves you and would sure understand. For your own peace of mind, go have these symptoms checked. Unfortunately, breast cancer would not show up in blood tests. You need to have specific kinds of tests starting off with a mammogram. There are lots of reasons why you are having these symptoms besides breast cancer. Being that you have relatives who have had breast cancer, the doctor may suggest you start having mammograms earlier than the usual recommended age of 40 years old. Take care, Sharon

Old 04-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
(female)

Kayla6400 HB User

Thank you. I will try to find a way to bring it up very soon. But just curious, what did you mean by there are other reasons for my symptoms? Thanks again for your reply!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

uptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB User

There are a bunch of non-cancerous reasons, hormonal changes, fibrocystic breast problems (both can be painful) are just a couple. Not being a doctor, I can't guess what is really going on. It could also have something to do with all of your illness you have had this year. Please talk to your mom and have her make an appointment for you. Tell the doctor all the problems and questions you have. Take care, Sharon

The Following User Says Thank You to uptownJ For This Useful Post:
Kayla6400 (05-05-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
breast, cancer, young