It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

Kayla S HB User
Asymmetry in the right breast central to the nipple anterior depth

I am 62 years old, after my recent yearly mammogram I received an immediate email notice that an asymmetry in my right breast central to the nipple anterior depth had been identified and it is now recommended that I have mediolateral and compression views as well as a ultrasound.

Can you explain what this means, should I be concerned that this may be cancer since it has appeared so quickly?

Old 06-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

uptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB User
Re: Asymmetry in the right breast central to the nipple anterior depth

They want to do a spot compression which will consist of using a smaller plate for the mammogram machine. They will then do an ultrasound. They are concerned about the asymmetry in your breast and are identifying the location of the area in question.
IF there is any question, I would absolutely demand an MRI. This happened to me and it ended up I had breast cancer. I had similar symptoms, and in addition, I had an inverted nipple. It was missed in the spot compression and ultrasound. My diagnosis was delayed until 7 months later, until I felt a lump. My doctor wanted an MRI but the breast center said I did not warrant it. The MRI showed the cancer like a Christmas tree light bulb! I was 59 at the time. My breast was also dense so it had always been diffucult to get a good, clear, mammogram.... another reason I should have had an MRI. I ended up with IDC 2B with 1 positive lymph node. The 7 month delay should not have been.... I know this is terrifying but I want you to learn from my experience. It is best to be on top of things, and a bit demanding. Chances are this will turn out to be nothing. In the case, it might be --something-- believe me, you want to catch it NOW. PLEASE keep us posted. Take care...

The Following User Says Thank You to uptownJ For This Useful Post:
Kayla S (06-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
(female)

Kayla S HB User

Thank you so much for the info. I have an appointment this coming Tuesday; will they do all the tests at one time, or will I be doing one at a time? I've always been told that I had dense fiberous breasts, this time, they've said predominently fatty, just seems like everything has changed so quickly.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

uptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB User

Kayla, you are so welcome. They will do the spot compression and ultrasound at the same appointment if the place is like a breast center. If they suggest an MRI, you would need a different appointment for that. I haven't heard of fibrous breast being fatty. They are different types of tissue. The fibrous tissue is dense and more difficult for a mammogram to penetrate. Fatty tissue is easier for a mammogram to penetrate. I am glad you have an appointment coming up. Offices are being very proactive so if they suggest a biopsy, try not to worry too much. They are doing this so much now and the majority of these are benign.... not breast cancer. I know it is scary but try not let it consume your life. Hang in there Kayla, you are doing all the right things. Take care, Sharon

Old 06-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
(female)

Kayla S HB User

My procedures will be done at the Women's Health Center at the Cleveland Clinic, they've notified me that it should take about 90 minutes. I read that as we get older our breast tissue changes from fiberous or dense to fatty, making the mammogram images much easier to read. If, for the majority of my life I've had fiberous/dense breasts and now through the life process they have become fatty and more transparent allowing this asymmetry to be seen that throws up a huge red flag for me. In 2008 I was involved in a head-on collision, while at the Trauma Unit they did a complete body CT & MRI after which they informed me that I had lesions in my pancreas. In 2003 I had to have a colon resection, before which I had a CT & MRI of my pancreas, the radiologist did his job, in his report he noted the lesions and recommended that my surgeon forward me on for further evaluation, that however never happened, I was never aware for 5 years that anything was wrong until I read the reports myself after picking them up to take to Cleveland Clinic for a second opinion.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Kayla, you are at one of the best of the best places (Cleveland Clinic) so you can be sure you are in good hands with the diagnostic tests you will be having. As for the lesions on your pancreas, I would imagine, if it were something serious, you would have had some kind of symptoms by now. You should bring up to your doctor but I would think you would be sick.... or worse by now. Colon or pancreatic cancer doesn't metastasize to the breast....thankfully!
Yes, you are correct, breast tissue changes with time. When are you having your procedure done? I have been thinking about you and wondering how things were going. I live on the West Coast and my favorite doctor during my treatment had done his training at The Cleveland Clinic. Are you going to have a friend, or family member going with you to your appointment? I always dragged somebody along with me so they could listen and take notes. I was such a basket case, I couldn't remember much of the things that were told to me. Please keep us posted. I will be thinking about you. Remember most of these things turn out to be nothing. You will be in good hands. Prayers and positive thoughts to you.
Take care, Sharon

Old 06-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
(female)

Kayla S HB User

I couldn't agree more as far as being in the perfect place at the Cleveland Clinic. I am very lucky as far as what is going on with my pancreas, I was going every 6 mos for biopsies, then they changed it to MRI's, I wanted a 2nd opinion about that, that is how i originally ended up at Cleveland Clinic. The Dr. I have there now has assured me that even though the number of lesions have increased, there is no significant change in their appearance, therefore he is recommending that I only go once a year now for the MRI.
My mediolateral and compression are scheduled for this coming Tuesday (6-12-12); not sure about the ultrasound, they had mentioned to allow 90 minutes for the visit, so I'm not sure if they'll do all of them then. My sister will be making the 3 hour trip with me, I had asked my daughters, but unfortunately they both have jobs that won't let them go this time.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Kayla,

So glad to hear your sister will be with you. I have always had the ultrasound at the same appointment as the spot compression mammogram. I can't imagine they will make you come back for the ultrasound. It is probably why they told you an hour and a half, it makes sense. Time is scheduled for reading the spot compression and enough for the ultrasound. Take care, and I will be thinking about you. Sharon
I am just curious did the doctor say what the lesions were on the pancreas? I am just very glad you ended up at the Cleveland Clinic.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
(female)

Kayla S HB User

The lesions in my pancreas are IPMN's (Intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms), one or more seem to be communicating with the Main Duct. When I was first told about them in the Trauma Unit in 2008 the Dr. said they had seen 5; the last count was around 17-19 now after three and a half years.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
(female)

Kayla S HB User

Today was the day I went for my follow-up mammogram at Cleveland Clinic....I was hoping my concerns and fears would have been put to rest when I walked out of there, but, not the case. The tech doing my exam had my films from 3 weeks ago hanging up, which clearly showed the asymmetry form in my right breast; after completing the first 2 new ones, she jokingly said..."they're gone"...I don't see them there anymore. I mentioned to her that if she was doing the compression films now, the ones I had 3 weeks ago were much more painful than what she was doing, she continued to do a 3rd. She took the films to the radiologist who quickly refused them, she was on the same page as I was; she then requested that they be repeated before I left. The tech took two more views, which did show the same images as were originally seen, however they were not as defined, I believe that she convinced the radiologist that everything was fine. Once I had a chance to look over my paperwork I noticed that the exact description of the mammogram I had 3 weeks ago was printed on the sticker for today, so I called before leaving to ask if there could have been a mix-up on which tests were performed since I was supposed to have been coming in for the mediolateral, compression and ultra sound, we never made it to the ultra sound. The lady on the other end of the phone said she was almost certain that everything had been done as it should have. I'm left wondering and worrying now what to do, I know the asymmetry is still there, do I explain the situation to my Primary Care Dr. and see if he'll go ahead and order the ultra sound?

Old 06-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Kayla, I totally understand your concern. It is odd there is such a discrepancy in the two/three sets of films. I would, absolutely, be on the phone for a clarification by your primary care physician. The radiologist can only go by what is seen on the films taken there. If nothing abnormal was seen then the there wasn't a reason for the radiologist to do an ultrasound. I think you are right and correct to question WHY? I also think you were very observant to mention the mammogram taken earlier was more painful. It would make me believe MORE compression was done for the original mammograms. I, too, would question all of it. I have learned to trust my "gut". If it is giving signals, it is best to listen. Please keep us posted. I am very sorry you did not receive the answers you were hoping to get. Hang in there..... take care, Sharon

Closed Thread