It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
(female)

Pinkpearl39 HB User
Frightened!!!!!!!!

Pinkpearl39 wrote:

Hello! I hope someone here can help me ease my mind. I'm so distraught I went for my first mammogram on June 2, 2012. On Friday June 8th., I received a letter stating the radiologist needs additional views ie mammogram and or an ultrasound. The letter also states "this is to ensure a complete and thorough examination of the breast tissue". I'm paralyzed with fear as I do have a family history of BC. I recently found out that 2 aunts on my father side have been diagnosed with it. I called my GYN on June 8th, the nurse said the doc would call at the end of the day. He never called. I'm about to cry!! ( please help!! Thank you in advance for any response.

Edit Delete
Post a reply

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

uptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB User
Re: Frightened!!!!!!!!

I am so sorry you received this kind of a terrifying notification on your first mammogram. This is extremely common and is happening more often. The machines in use today show up such fine detail, it makes for more "things" to be questionable. In fact, that is the complaint of the new digital machines.... they give more "false positives" and scare the socks off of women... just like what is happening to you. The chances are hugely in your favor this will turn out to be nothing. They may take a couple of more x-rays, the radiologist will look at them and say everything is ok. You may not have to go through the ultrasound. Even if you have to go ahead and proceed with the ultrasound, it STILL doesn't mean anything. I have had breast cancer but I have many, many, many more friends who have had multiple call-backs, ultrasounds, and biopsy's and none of my close circle of pals have come out with breast cancer. I had no one in my family on mother or father's side who had cancer yet I had it. I can't take your fear away but sure wish I could. You ARE taking care of yourself and marched in to have your first mammogram. It is just a shame you received this kind of scare... but don't take this as you have one foot in the grave. You probably have dense breast tissue, it is difficult to get a clear shot of your breast and they need to have a couple of more views with a bit different setting on their machines to get a clear shot through that tissue. They are just covering their butts with the ultrasound. Please try not to worry so much about this. I think your doctor will probably tell you the same thing when you hear from him. Call the doctor's office and rattle his cage so you can feel some reassurance. Please write back when you hear the results. I would be willing to bet, you WILL be ok. Hang in there and take care, Sharon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
(female)

Pinkpearl39 HB User
Smile Re: Frightened!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much!! I do feel better but this is so scary. My Gyn has still not called me as of today!! It makes me feel as if he does not care at all!! I'm like a person released into hospice when a doc feels he can't do anything else!! I've heard horror stories of people this has happened to.
When this ordeal is over, I will seek a new healthcare professional. I feel as a patient, I have a right to know.
I will keep you posted and thanks so much again for your consoling words.
❤❤❤❤

Old 06-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

uptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB User

If you, overall, like your doctor, consider he might not have received the message. So often the staff can drop the ball or he's been out of the office, etc. I know exactly how you feel.... you are so worried and you feel ignored, and abandoned, like you don't count. It is a very lonely feeling. This is a good chance to practice a little push-back at your doctor's office. I usually handle things with a bucket load of humor. If it were me, I would call up the office and say.... Hey, what happened to my message? Did the sticky-note fall off his desk? I called about some concerns I had with my mammogram and he hasn't returned my call. As you grow older, you have to become your own best advocate when it comes to healthcare. You have to do your own follow-up and what has happened to you is, unfortunately, extremely typical. So I wouldn't dump the doctor just yet.... unless you really aren't satisfied with his overall care. You have to "ride-herd" on your healthcare.... even your personal doctor! IT is a royal pain.
Take care, Sharon

Old 06-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
(female)

Pinkpearl39 HB User

He's a goner! He received the results before I even received my not from the breast center. He wrote the script on 6/6. I received my letter on 6/8. He is perfectly aware of the results He just did not call and will not return my call. So sad!!

Old 06-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

I totally hear you and completely understand...yes, he's a goner. (and good riddance!)

Closed Thread