It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

majorse7en HB User
Question Painful lump

Hi everyone,
I am new to this board.
Five years ago, my mammogram showed two fluid filled cysts in my left breast. I never knew they were there because I couldn't feel them. My last mammogram was in January and nothing had changed. Three days ago, I felt a lump in the same area where I was told the cysts were. It was hard and painful when I pressed on it. After seeing my family doctor yesterday, I was able to get an urgent mammogram done. The technician said she could feel it too and took at least 8 different x-rays at different angles. Now the waiting and praying begins. I have read that breast cancer is almost always painless but my mother had it and she said that she felt pain too. I have an appointment on the 29th with the surgeon. I am wondering what to do. I think I should ask for a biopsy. Anyone else had these symptoms? Can a cyst be painful? Do they remove it? I had colon cancer 5 years ago but I don't think that can spread to the breast. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to majorse7en:
uptownJ (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

uptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB User
Re: Painful lump

You have done all the right things... you have checked with your doctor and also had a mammogram done. The --WAIT-- is always the most terrifying time any woman. Waiting for an appointment, waiting for a test to come back.... etc. I know it is small consolation but try not to go to the dark side with this. Chances are good, it is benign. I wish the fantasy of "breast cancer is not painful" would go away. Breast cancer symptoms are all over the place. It CAN be painful, and can cause itching, tingling, etc. Don't be surprised if you have to have an ultrasound, and even a biopsy, there is still a good chance this will be ok. Colon cancer does not metastasize to the breast. It would be a completely different type of cancer. Please keep us posted, try to put this worry on the shelf until you get through your tests. You have done all you can do in a timely fashion to see what this is. Many of my friends have gone through some pretty extensive tests and had them come back as nothing. Hang in there...take care, Sharon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
(female)

majorse7en HB User

Thank you for responding Sharon. I am hoping that this is nothing but an inflamed cyst. Even if that is all it is, I definitely want a biopsy of it. I don't want to take any chances with cancer. I was misdiagnosed twice when I had colon cancer. Two different doctors told me I had an internal hemmoroid when a colonoscopy showed a 3cm.tumor. I was fortunate that it hadn't spread to the lymph nodes and I am not going to just assume that this painful lump is nothing to be concerned about. I have to be an advocate for my own health now so I will push for all the necessary tests.
The nurse told me the x-rays were sent to the radiologist and then they will go to the surgeon. I am hoping to hear something early next week.
Blessings to all,
Lynn

Old 07-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
(female)

gurlsunshine HB User

Hi,
I too am battling the lump issue. I had total hyst 15yrs ago. in 2009 I sat on a sore right breast for 2mths, thinking it was a bruise or strain from moving furniture. I couldn't detect any lumps. Dr. couldn't either. Mammogram showed "swollen lymphnode" in right breast. 3 months later I felt lump and pain. Mammogram showed 3 "fibroid tumors" in right breast, largest being 1 cm, and I think 1 or 2 in the left. The right causes me quite a bit of grief. All research thus far doesn't explain why I am getting them 12 yrs post menopause. Another ultrasound yesterday... I understand your fear.
D.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
(female)

wenilu HB User

JUST started getting monster soreness under my right nipple two days ago, can't lie on my right side. I feel a hardness there when pressing, and severe tenderness. My history is multiple cysts, some aspirated by doctor, but always benign and never really painful. I'm 56 but have not started menopause...quite rare. And I didn't have children until I was almost 30. According to some literature I read, these are two risks of breast cancer, so I'm concerned. I will be calling my doctor of course and hoping for the best.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
(female)

wenilu HB User

Majorse7en - I just posted to the thread, but was interested in how your appointment with the surgeon went in June?

Closed Thread