It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
(female)

dprice99 HB User
Unhappy A lump under my right armpit

Hi everybody, I am 34 years old and had a complete hysterectomy when I was 30 years old. I am on hormone pellets too. I am saying all that because two months ago I noticed a lump under my right armpit. I had a mammogram and it didn't show anything. Then they did a ultrasound of the lump under my armpit. My doctors office had told me to go see a surgeon. Well I waited two and a half hours to see him where he barely felt or looked at it and sent me on my way. So i am going to get a second opinion. Had to wait a whole month to see another surgeon and they called and cancelled the appt till a whole nother month. So now i am going to find a surgeon that can see me sooner. Because I have been worried to death about the lump. And I heard being on hormones can increase your risk of getting breast cancer. So, i am kind of scared. I will feel better when i get to see a surgeon.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: dprice99
tula12 (07-18-2012), uptownJ (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

uptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB User
Re: A lump under my right armpit

FIrst and foremost, I MUST tell you how absolutely thrilled I am to hear you did not settle for what the first surgeon said to you or how he blew you off. So many women (or men) would have just walked out... with the "unknown lump" and just try to forget about it. Until there is some kind of biopsy.... NO ONE knows what it is. Chances are it will be ok but, honestly, I would request a biopsy. That is the only way to know, for sure, what type of cells are in that lump. You are a very intelligent, and brave women for charging ahead in your quest to find out what this it. In the medical world, you have to be your own best advocate! You are steller in your approach and courage! Hang in there, stand your ground, love yourself enough to, kindly, ask/demand the procedure that will clearly identify what this is. Take care, Sharon (you get the Gold Star Award!!!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
(female)

dprice99 HB User

Thank you. My husband keeps on saying it is nothing and he agrees with what the surgeon said. I made another appointment a month ago with another surgeon and my appointment was supposed to be tomorrow and they called and cancelled a couple of days ago saying he had some unexpected surgerys and wanted me to come in another whole month and I just couldn't wait that long. I have been worried to death. of course I guess I make myself worry more because I google lump under my armpit. But I just want to have a biopsy where I can have peace of mind. I want to know either way. I had a hyterectomy when I was thirty and am on hormones and I know that can increase your chances of getting breast cancer. My husband though makes me think I am crazy for worrying about it. But this is my body not his. And if the small chance I have cancer I would rather go ahead and get treatment instead of it progressing more.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

uptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB User

Take it from one who had a breast cancer missed.... you are doing the right thing. Hang tough and get it checked out. This will probably come back as something NOT terrible but you will never regret, truly, finding out what this really is. Take care, Sharon

Old 07-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
(female)

dprice99 HB User

I go to the surgeon this morning. I am very nervous. I just want the doctor to do a biopsy to make sure it is nothing to worry about. Since I first wrote this thread I have found a lump in my neck and groin. I will let you know what I find out today.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

There is any number of things that cause your lymph nodes to go into action. You will find out and be able to deal with it. Please keep us posted, and many blessings to you.
Take care, Sharon

Old 07-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
(female)

dprice99 HB User

The surgeon said it was a cyst and if it got to hurting he would remove it. He said it was normal for other lymph nodes to swell. He said you have lymph nodes all over your body. But, I didn't really get any relief. I hate to say that but that is how I feel. What do you all think?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Did the surgeon drain the cyst by aspirating it? (removing the fluid) So he felt sure that is what it was but was he going to send any to a lab? As for the lymph nodes... the most common place for swollen lymph nodes are the neck, armpit, and groin. Have you had any virus/cold lately? It might be mono or even an indication of Lyme Disease. I would keep an eye on the lymph nodes just to see if they enlarge. If so, I would check with your regular doctor. Take care, Sharon

Old 07-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
(female)

dprice99 HB User

No they didnt. I wished they had. I still feel kind of uncomfortable. I didnt really get any real answers. I am so tired all of the time. I get tired of being tired all of the time. I am on hormones too and I have been having horrible night sweats. It feels like my body is just wore out. I dont feel like something is right. But, maybe it is all in my head. So, I dont really know where to go from here.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

I understand what you are saying. You weren't given a reason for the cyst and the swollen lymph nodes. If you are also having other symptoms, like the fatigue, your body is trying to fight something. It also sounds like you feel like you are being blown-off by your hubby and doctor's. They dismiss your symptoms. You may have to start fresh and go to another doctor... maybe an internist. Before you go, make a list of your symptoms, how long they have been going on, and the medications you take. Be clear, and concise. Honestly, you have to be your own best advocate when it comes to medical care. Do not have the attitude of "this is all in your head." If it is.... that can also be treated and even that is nothing to laugh about. Depression can lead to a lowered immune and cause you to get sick. Your "gut" is telling you something is going on, you still have not had any kind of clarification and it is bothering you. All of it may just boil down to some kind of virus but you are still worried. I'd say you still have some doors to knock on before you find some answers that will give you peace of mind. Do not let the people around you make you feel like you are being silly. Put on those "big girl panties" and find a doctor who will give you some answers. Hang in there...
Take care, Sharon

Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
(female)

dprice99 HB User

I go to my regular doctor tomorrow for a check up. I guess maybe I can mention all of the symptoms I am having. I am tired of hearing it is all in my head. It is probably nothing but something inside me tells me there is something wrong with me. But, I don't know maybe I am worrying for nothing. I mean my blood test have been fine. Maybe I am reading to much on the interenet. I don't know.

The following user gives a hug of support to dprice99:
uptownJ (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Stay off the internet, or just don't read the medical stuff. You can drive yourself into a very dark place.... been there, done that. Don't put yourself down so much. You have a right to your feelings. Hang in there.... make that list to discuss with your doctor. Do not start off you doctor appointment with a negative statement like.... "Maybe I am just imagining this...." Rather... say something like.... "I am not imagining these swollen lymph nodes...!!!" Put on your "big girl panties" march in there and find out what the cat-hair is going on!!!

Take care, Sharon

Old 07-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
(female)

dprice99 HB User

Thank you so much for the encouragement. That really helps me. I Will talk to him tomorrow. I just want some peace of mind. It's not like I want something to be wrong with me but I do want to know if there is something wrong with me. If that makes any sense. Have you had cancer uptown? And if you had what kind of cancer did or do you have?

Old 07-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

I completely understand your angst! I almost see a tinge if girl-guilt but if you are worried, you can't help it. Until you get the explanation of "WHY" & "WHAT'S UP" this worry will be with you.
Yes, I did have breast cancer and found out when I was 59, in 2006. It was early stage, I went through treatment and am perfectly healthy. As my picture shows, I returned to my passion in life which is horses. This photo was taken about two months after I had finished chemo. (I am still bald under that helmet of mine) Of course, as a celebration, I entered a horse show with one of my mini horses.
I think why I am so adamant for you is because I was mis-diagnosed. The breast center told me my mammogram was clear. I found a lump 7 months after that mammogram and my breast cancer ended up being a 2B. If if would have been found at that mammogram check up, it would have been even smaller. So.... I am all for anyone to keep digging until they get an explanation! Now... this is NOT to say you are looking for breast cancer. I think your problem probably stems from some kind of virus condition BUT your worry is affecting your quality of life and peace of mind. You need some answers. I think you are getting the impression from those around you that your worry is being dismissed as silly. Your gut is saying you still need to find some answers. This is your body's means of survival. Do not keep apologizing because you have a basic human instinct to LIVE. You ARE doing the right thing... you need to find out why you have these swollen lymph nodes and the "cyst". You just put on those "big girl warrior panties" and go get your answer. I am cheering for you! Hang in there, take care, Sharon

Closed Thread