It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
(female)

calode HB User
27yrs old: grape size lump: breastfeeding

Hello,

I am 27 years old, no history of breast cancer in my family. I had a baby 2 months ago and have been nursing her. While pumping last week I felt a grape size lump on my left breast, 3:00/clock, closer to my nipple. It literally came overnight (I obviously have been feeling my breasts for a few months now due to feeding and never felt it before).

It is about the size of a grape, feels like it is in the glandular, fatty part of my breast and is somewhat hard. It is pretty near the skin of my breast and I can feel it quite well. It does not hurt and seems to be moveable. I thought at first it was a blocked milk duct but it is not inflamed and has been there for about 2 weeks now.

My family doctor was not worried and told me it is probably fibroadenoma so we had an ultrasound done. The results came back inconclusive (not sure why and how?). I had a mammogram yesterday and the lump did not show up at all on it (the technician showed me the screen and it wasn't there). I emptied my milk prior to the mammogram but I am also young so I know my breasts are pretty dense.

I am getting really worried. Cysts run in my family. I got them while pregnant all in my groin and armpit area. I want to believe that's what it is but it doesn't hurt like a cyst does and seems more hard then squishy.

Anyone else have this or no any information on what this could be. I am praying it is nothing serious but now I am starting to feel sick over this with worry as they can't figure it out from an ultrasound and now the mammogram.

The following user gives a hug of support to calode:
uptownJ (08-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

uptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB User
Re: 27yrs old: grape size lump: breastfeeding

To make absolutely sure what you are dealing with and to put your mind at ease, I would insist on a biopsy. It is a quick procedure where they numb the area, and withdraw some cells from the spot. You will feel pressure when they insert the needle but you will then know, for sure, what you are dealing with. I can understand your worry about this because they really can't give you a --for sure-- answer. Please keep us posted. Rest assured, you have done what you should up to this point. I would go get the biopsy. The only other thing you could do is ask for an MRI. Take care, Sharon

Old 08-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
(female)

nibbsie HB User
Re: 27yrs old: grape size lump: breastfeeding

Hello,
I would like to tell you my experience. Thirty years ago, while nursing my fourth child, I also felt 3 lumps in my breast-two in one and one in the other. I thought at first they were clogged milk ducts, but I soon realized they were not. I went to see my ob, who called the hospital, asked if there was a surgeon available, and sent me right to the emergency room! I was so afraid! The doctor reassured me, and withdrew 3 vials of fluid (one vial from each lump) and sent them off to be biopsied. A few days later, he called me and told me they were benign cysts!
I also agree with Sharon--you need a biopsy to put your mind at ease. Hopefully, you will have the same outcome that I had! Good luck!

Closed Thread

Tags
breast, breastfeeding, lump, mammogram, ultrasound