It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
(female)

robinr HB User
Angry Mammograms

I really thought that mammograms was the nay or yay for the idea of any possible breast cancers. I am a black woman 42yrs with a strong family of breast cancer. Last month a lump in my armpit was found and both mammogram and ultrasound was found adnormal. I more concerned to understand what is and what isn't then for the doctors to not really say much. I mean the lady comes in and say well theres a lot going on in your breast and your lumph nodes and in large so we need to do more testing..What is that suppose to mean?..On 10/25/2012 I will have an MRI..I just what to know something.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
(female)

deeluv HB User
Re: Mammograms

Sorry to hear that you are going through this. There really is nothing definitive they can tell you until they complete all the necessary tests. When I was diagnosed in 2006 with Stage II.

The day I got my mammogram, a well defined, solid lump was clearly seen on the film; they were able to give me a biopsy the same day, in the office. They used a needle to aspirate the breast, or remove cells from both the breast tissue and the lymph node (upper outer quadrant on my right breast)... I had felt a soreness, off and on when I exercised but when I felt the area could not feel anything. When I did a breast exam lying down with one arm behind my head, etc... I could not feel a lump, but I had a nagging feeling that something was wrong.

I called my pcp that Monday and saw her the next week. She performed the breast exam with me laying down and could not feel a lump either. So she had me sit up and stand up. It was only then that a lump could be felt, but it felt more like a cyst than breast cancer because it was not really that hard, but to me it just felt like it should not be there. Anyway, the biopsy in the office confirmed breast cancer and it had also spread to the lymph node. So the next test was a breast MRI. After the breast MRI came the surgery to remove the tumor and also the affected lymph nodes, 3 total.

Your MRI should show them what they need to know in order to let you know something. It does not have to be breast cancer, just take it one step at a time. If you have any questions just let me know.

Good luck. Please keep us posted. ~ Dee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
(female)

Locket25 HB User
Re: Mammograms

Hello Dee. Just read your post and very interested and wonder would you mind telling me when they feel something under the arm and are going to do a biopsy could it be other than cancer? I was called back this week and had a second Mammo. and Ultra. but they would not do the Biopsys two somethings in breast and something under the arm pit same breast because I have a pacemaker and on blood thinners so having it doen tomorrow Friday and VERY lucky to get in before Christmas when they close for a couple of weeks. I have been on Hormone Replacement for nearly 27 years (yes I know I know) but my quality of life would be terrible without it but maybe now I may not have a life I do hope so though
Thanks for reading.
Locket.

Closed Thread