It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
chippiebing HB User
Needle Biopsy or Wait 6 Months?


I am hoping for advice from others that have had a similar situation. I am 36 and starting having regular mammograms last year (I had a baseline when I was 30). My mother was diagnosed at age 45 (and probably had the tumor for a number of years). My doctor said I should starting getting regular mammograms when I was 10 years younger than that. This year I had a call back and they did extra mammograms and an ultrasound. They found a "cluster of cysts" and gave me the option to get a needle biopsy or wait 6 months for another mammogram and look for changes. The radiologist said she wasn't too concerned because breast cancer is such a slow growing cancer for most people (not too sure about that one). Anyway, since I am an obsessive worrier, I scheduled the biopsy for this Thursday. Should I reconsider this? I still have to meet my deductible and insurance is estimating out of pocket costs around $1,700. I don't feel good about either option at this point.

Thanks for any advice!

Old 11-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
slenderella's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 1,002
slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Needle Biopsy or Wait 6 Months?

I know that the economic price is steep, but this is your LIFE we're talking about!
If I were you I would have the biopsy done. That way you can enjoy the upcoming holidays knowing you are perfectly fine, instead of wondering, each and every day.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 11-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Senior Member
mmisty's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 125
mmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB User
Re: Needle Biopsy or Wait 6 Months?

I recommend that you do the biopsy. I had a needle biopsy with negative results. Why worry for 6 months?

Old 01-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 37
ddeb1 HB User
Re: Needle Biopsy or Wait 6 Months?

I just had a stereotactic core needle biopsy on a cluster of microcalcifications noted from my mammo this past December. These had been there about 5 years but because they were now clustered, they recommended biopsy.

I was very scared and nervous and had a horrible experience with the procedure itself. If you can, ask for a sedative.

I too questioned whether I should have done now or wait 6 months, since they had been there for 5 years. My results came back B9.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.


There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added

Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to for complete list)
Evista Femara


uptownJ (35), janewhite1 (3), nibbsie (3), shellie562 (3), Jaye66 (3), boobootwo (3), eylene dano (2), rosequartz (2), Cannalee (2), twohands (2)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1182), MSJayhawk (1015), Apollo123 (913), Titchou (862), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (760), midwest1 (671), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:37 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!