It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
(female)

terrie85 HB User
Paget Disease????

Hello, I am a 43 yr old female. Yesterday, on the way home from work, my left nipple started itching EXTREMELY bad! No matter how much I scratched it would not go away. In October I saw my PCP about a swollen lymph node under my left armpit. She said it was probably an infection, she gave me antibiotics and told me if it did not go away to call her back. I did not think anything about it since I do not have breast cancer in my family. I came home and looked up reasons for an itchy nipple that is painful and came up with Paget disease. I started thinking about the lymph node then and wondered.

I need to go see a GYN dr but I start a new job tomorrow and have to wait 30 days for medical benefits. I would like to know how worried I should be. I had a mammogram in the summer of 2012 and it was negative but I also have had a breast reduction several years ago. My nipple is not inverted but it is flat with the areola.

I know this maybe too much information but I am a little concerned. I do not have the best luck. I am curious to find out if it could be Paget's disease.

Thank you for your time.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
(female)

shersita HB User
Re: Paget Disease????

Hello there Terrie.

Is completely normal to be worried when we have some new symptom in our bodies. When I was 25 years old one day without a reason I felt one of my nipples itching like you, so I touch it, when I did I also found a crust next to my nipple in the aerola, the crust was like 3 or 4 cms of size (sorry, I know it sounds disgusting), I have never in my life had any itching or crust in neither of my nipples so I got very scared and worried I remember, even if I was 25 only I know breast cancer currently happens even to young women of 20 years old. I search on internet about crust + itching on a nipple and everything point to "paget cancer" even with pictures, the crust on all paget cancer pictures looked exactly like mine, so I got more scared, my nipple was also flat not inverted, instead it was flat like you said with the aerola. I did went to the doctor extremely worried, and finally my problem was not paget cancer, was a fungus infection in one of my nipples, and here I am today I,m 32 years old healthy women.

Internet search sometimes point always to the deadliest disease always, even if maybe what you really have is simple, if you search on internet finger pain all results will point out to "cancer". I recommend to you to not worried too much, and first visit the doctor and have another mammogram to ease your mind, if you,re very ansioux and can,t wait 30 days you can paid for the mammogram at least, just to make sure everything is clear.

Last edited by shersita; 01-06-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread