It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
(female)

tearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB User
not sure what to do

I am a 43 yr old female, I went in for my baseline mammo last year after my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. I have a significant family history of cancers of all kinds breast, colon, skin, pancreatic, all in either my immediate or one generation removed. My mammo showed areas on my left breast that were concerning so they ordered an ultrasound. The U/S was inconclusive so the ordered a followup exam in 6 months.

Well, my life for the past year has been a roller coaster of goings on along with the diagnosis of several other long term health issues for which I simply have no choice but to live with. As a result I made the concious decision to skip the six month follow up check up. I was at ease with that decision until recently when I have started to have a yellowish discharge from my left nipple that I have never had before. It is only a couple of drops now and then and there is no soreness involved but I am trying to decide if I should schedule another mammo for thisyear. Last year being my baseline, I really am not at an age where I would have annual mammos. I am scheduled for an appointment for other reasons with my GP on Friday should I bring it up?

Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
(female)

tula12 HB Usertula12 HB User
Re: not sure what to do

So sorry to hear all of what you are going through, but you must get the current situation with your breasts checked out. Yes, bring up the breast discharge with your doctor. More than likely he will schedule a mammo/US testing. Hindsight being hindsight, never skip followup testing for any reason. You are at an age where you need to get yearly mammograms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
(female)

janld HB User
Re: not sure what to do

Hi--I can fully understand your fears--cause I've been there--only my discharge was tinged with blood. I had all of the tests and even my doctor sent a specimen of the discharge to be tested. Everything came back negative. Do go for the tests--the hardest part is not doing that. My heart goes out to you because I know how the worry can ruin your life--get it checked out and maybe like me, it will all be negative.

Reply Reply