It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
New and worried

This might be a bit of a long post, so please bear with me..I had my last mammogram in 2006- and finally changed doctors after realizing that my former primary never seemed to follow up on anything. I scheduled a new physical with my new doctor, who sent me for a follow up on some thyroid nodules - 10 years since my last scan of those. That led to a finding of a new nodule with some arterial blood flow- and a phone call telling me that I needed to get a biopsy done of that. That happened yesterday afternoon. Last night, I got a phone call that my mammogram done at the same time as the thyroid ultrasound, needed to be repeated and they wanted to see my previous studies. I got a phone call telling me that they wanted me to have a second set of mammo films done along with an ultrasound. During the phone call last night from my doctor, he told me that the second set of mammo films showed an increase in microcalcifications, and I needed to get a sterotatic biopsy done - he called the radiologist, who agreed to do it today..so off I went again for the biopsy. I must tell you that I am scared to death- there is an extensive family history of cancers- leukemias that killed one sibling, and another sibling got as an adult a few years ago. My uncles have all had NHL- Non-Hodkins Lymphoma, and an aunt with some rare cancer.. now this..
I am trying to hold on- trying not to think the worst, and one would be bad enough but to have two things happening at the same time, has me beyond scared..any reassurances?
Oh, my original mammo report as a Birads- 0 and now has gone to a Birads - 4
Back

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
(female)

ItsMeG HB UserItsMeG HB UserItsMeG HB User
Re: New and worried

I recognize your name from the back problems board where I've posted some about my husband. I'm sorry you're dealing with 2 scary situations at once, but try to remember that they say about 80% of the time it's not cancer. I'm in a similar situation with my breasts. My mammo and ultrasound this week came back showing complex cysts that have grown, have thick walls, and solid features in both breasts...3 areas in one and 1 in the other, so I'm waiting for my needle biopsies on Wednesday. I have some microcalcifications too, thankfully no changes there. And, thyroid issues run in my family. I have a son who was diagnosed as hypo at 10 years old and my sister was diagnosed hypo with one side of the thyroid enlarged just months before passing of a heart attack at 48. I'll be thinking of you and hoping both of yours come back benign. I see you're in NY, so I bet that storm has been another big worry for you. Stay safe and try to stay positive! B9 B9 B9!!!

Old 02-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Thanks G,
I will send up some prayers for all of us . It sure seems like things seem to happen all at once. I really dislike doctors and my habit is to avoid them unless I or one of my kids are really ill.
I can't deny that all of this has me worried.....and I'm sure that you are too. The good news is that the stereotactic biopsy wasn't too awfully painful. It was strange but not overtly painful.
I will watch to see how you make out , and hope for a good outcome for all of us.
It was so sad yesterday because while I was waiting for them to come get me for the stereotactic biopsy, a woman who looked to be about 25 was just told that she has colon cancer and her surgery was scheduled for Friday. My heart just broke for her.....

Old 02-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
(female)

hello, back. Just wondering if you have some good news to share yet? Hope everything is well.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,
Well I finally heard about the two biopsies...you guys aren't going to believe this because I can't but I got a call this morning from my doctor regarding my thyroid biopsy. It seems that it needs to be redone since they completely missed the thyroid tissue altogether...not one thyroid cell in the stuff they took out for the biopsy.
Tonight, I got a phone call from the breast imaging center pathologist- apparently, the microcalcifications that they were supposed to biopsy also weren't found in the stereotactic biopsy samples so I need to go get it redone as well. That is going to be Tuesday morning. She explained that they believed they had one in one of the samples of tissue they took but when it was cut for the biopsy, they could no longer locate it so it has gone back and forth between pathology and the biopsy suite over and over this week...however what ever tissue they did sample was benign. I spoke to my doctor to see about maybe a short interval follow up instead, but he and the pathologist are insistent that I repeat the stereo again on Tuesday, otherwise they want a lumpectomy /biopsy...

The following user gives a hug of support to backhurtz:
ItsMeG (02-14-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
(female)

Wow, I can't even imagine the odds of both biopsies being inadequate. It stinks that you have to go through them again, but crossing my fingers they get good benign samples this time. It would be nice if they could put a rush on the reports as I'm sure you're at a breaking point.
I should get my results by Tuesday. Thankfully I only had to have 2 areas biopsied out of the 4 areas.
Hope that everything else life throws your way is treating you kindly!

Old 02-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi ItsMeG,
If I were a betting person , I couldn't even begin to figure out the odds of that happening once, let alone twice in less than 9 hours , to the same person.
I hope that they also put a rush on the results since this has been going on now for most of the month of February so far, and bythe end of next week, we will be coming to the end of it..
I hope that your biopsies show nothing but benign too....this is so frightening, and I don't know how they really expect that we should hurry up and wait all of the time...
I am not sure how I feel about this whole mess up on the biopsies, but I also don't want an open lumpectomy again either. I've had them twice before, thankfully benign but still, the recovery is a bit more painful.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, got the repeat stereotactic done again this morning....Now I wait, another week for the results...
It was such a cluster- had an 8 am appointment, but they never did the stereo until 12 this afternoon..

The following user gives a hug of support to backhurtz:
tula12 (02-19-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
(female)

Insane, hope this week flies by for you and you hear B9 results soon! Hugs!

I got the call with B9 results and to follow up in 6 months.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's awesome news ItmeG! I am thrilled for you and hope that I hear something today, one way or another. I don't want to wait another week for results.
The only good thing is that I know that they had the microcalcifications in this biopsy because I made them xray them before I left to make sure. I wasn't taking any chances that it might be missed again and then the next step would have been an open biopsy. I've had that twice in my twenties and I am not excited at the prospect of doing it again.
I have a feeling that I may not be so lucky , but whatever the outcome, I just wish that it would be done already.
They went through all of my previous mammo's, all of the repeat mammo's since the end of January through to Tuesday, then did more films again, both before and after the stereo...I have had far more radiation than I expected but he said that he didn't want to miss something this time.
My doctor is out of the office today ( day off) but last time he called me as soon as he got the report so I am hoping it is the same today...
Thank you for being so supportive to me. You've been really helpful and reassuring.
Back

Old 02-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I got the phone call tonight, thankfully my doctor has been wonderful and even though he was off today, he still was on top of the pathologist....all is well, all of the microcalcifications were benign...

Old 02-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
(female)

YES! So glad you got good results and so fast. I thank you for your support too. I have no living female family left or any close friends that I care to share this with, so going through this at the same time as you has given me comfort in itself.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi ItsMeG,
It's so strange, we are both in very similar situations. I also don't have female relatives to talk this stuff over with and if it weren't for my best girlfriend and you, I think that I might have come unglued over the last few days and weeks.
It's good to know that there is someone who cares and is listening when you are going through this stuff. Thank you!

Reply Reply