It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User
First mammogram when?

Hi,

I am 42 yrs old and have not yet had a mammogram. There is no history of breast cancer in my family.

I asked my family Dr. a couple of yrs ago about having a mammogram and he said it wasn't recommended until at least age 50 unless there was a family history.

I was also reading that in Canada, which is where I live, that the Canadian Cancer Society does not recommend them until age 50 and then every other yr. after that.

Yet in the US, they recommend mammograms starting at age 40 and then yearly mammograms following your first one.

When did you have your first mammogram? I am thinking I will be a little more demanding this time when I go back for my yearly physical and ask to have one.
I have heard that digital mammograms produce less radiation and are more effective at detecting cancer in women under 50.

Any thoughts??

~Adult onset epilepsy~

Old 03-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: First mammogram when?

its time for you to have one....maybe your doctor was confusing a colonoscopy with a mammogram.....LOL colonoscopy should be at 50
mammogram should be at 35 for a baseline, and then definately yearly at 40. Digital is newer technology and it's better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I don't think the government always has the peoples best interests at heart when they set up those guidelines......

Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
(female)

Also, everyone in Canada is covered for a mammogram, whether you have a job or not, health insurance or not. No one pays for a mammogram.

So maybe the guidelines in Canada are a cost saving measure...who knows. Just a thought.

What about all the radiation from yearly mammograms starting at earlier ages(age 35-40)??

I don't even let my children have dental xrays as I try to reduce their exposure to "extra" radiation as much as possible. The dentist tried x-raying them without telling me and neither have any cavities.

~Adult onset epilepsy~

Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
I don't think the government always has the peoples best interests at heart when they set up those guidelines......
I agree.

I will be asking for a mammogram when I go for my physical this summer, as I will be turning 43.

I had a little cyst in one of my breasts when I was in my 20's. They sent me for an ultrasound and it turned out to be nothing.
It ended up going away on it's own.

I'm nervous about a mammogram though as I'm small and I've heard it's quite painful for women with smaller breasts.

Not sure if I have dense breasts either...they say size has nothing to do with density but women with denser breast are more prone to breast cancer...harder to dectect cancerous cells as compared to women with fatty breasts.

~Adult onset epilepsy~

Reply Reply