It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
(female)

hope floats HB User
mammogram focal asymmetrics

I had my annual mammogram Wednesday, 2-27-13. I received a call from my doctor's nurse yesterday, they want me to have a second one done tomorrow. The nurse told me that there were two areas, one on each breast that was not there last year (2-2-12).

I requested a copy of the report... it stated that there has been development of focal asymmetrics in the deep central right breast on MLO view and in the posteromedial left breast on CC view. Fibroglandular elements are moderately dense with asymmetric distribution pattern otherwise. I have had the fibroglandular elements for years.

Four years ago I had some issues on both of my breast, but after 2 mammos and one ultrasound I was assured that all was good.

I do have a family history of cancer.on my mother's side, however I know very little about my father's side, other than I had some aunts who had breast fever (?) and died in their 50s.

I have gone online to look up the working on the mammo report, however it was not very helpful.

thank you.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: mammogram focal asymmetrics

Asymmetric just means that the breast tissue doesn't look symmetrical or even and balanced. The fibrous tissue can shrink and cause pulling of the tissue creating this. Cancer generally shows up as clustered microcalcifications, like tiny white dots of calcium. It would also be unusual to develop cancer in both breasts at the same time. I would follow up, and perhaps ask about an MRI of the breasts, for reassurance. I don't see anything in the report to suggest cancer, but radiologists, Drs., and patients all should err on the safe side, and follow up any abnormality.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
(female)

hope floats HB User

Still waiting to hear back on my second mammo last Wednesday. Talked to the doctor's nurse, she called the radiologist... and apparently all my mammos from the last 6 times have been sent to yet another doctor.

It has me bothered that a third radiologist has been asked to view..and no one can tell me anything...

any suggestions..

Old 03-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I really would ask to have a breast MRI. They are being used more and more to assess any irregularities that are not clear what they are on the mammogram. Good luck to you!

Reply Reply