HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Breast (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-breast/)
-   -   confused about diagnosis and suggested treatment (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-breast/941757-confused-about-diagnosis-suggested-treatment.html)

Skeptical66 03-07-2013 02:47 PM

confused about diagnosis and suggested treatment

I recently had a core needle biopsy, my results were not cancer,the diagnosis was atypical ductal hyperplasia.My doctor now wants to do an MRI and a surgical biopsy. I just feel like this is not necessary! This diagnosis comes with a low percentage rate of turning into cancer, i have no family history of breast cancer. When i read about other womens experiences, I wonder why I cannot be monitored, why such a radical treatment? I do not trust Drs these days, they are all driven by drug companies, paying their student loans and supporting their luxurious life styles ! I have tried to find information on this diagnosis, all studies start out EX: out of 200 women diagnosed with ADH 87 went on to have surgical biopsies , then the report tells you the percentages of the 87 surgeries. I want to know what happened to the other 113 ! Did they opt to not follow their Drs advice ? Which is what im leaning toward. I want a percentage of the cases that eventually turned into cancer or is everyone ok and their Drs were just being overly cautious or out to make a buck or meet a quota ? If anyone out there has the same situation or know someone else in this situation i would love some advice. To anyone reading this that has breast cancer, please donot think that i am in any way trying to say that breast cancer should not be taken seriously! I just want to be informed and make the best decision.

nibbsie 03-09-2013 04:09 PM

Re: confused about diagnosis and suggested treatment

I also have had quite a few needle biopsies that have shown atypical cells that "were on the verge of turning to cancer." I had surgical lumpectomies following the diagnosis. The first time, they discovered that I have LCIS which increases my chances for cancer. The rest have all been benign. They way that I have looked at this is that I am happy that they have all been benign, even though I had to go through the stress and the surgery. I would not take the chance of leaving even one of those abnormal cells in my breast that could turn into cancer. You have to have a different spin on this. Instead of thinking of it as a unnessary waste of time, think of it that you are being proactive in saving your life.

atengnr 04-23-2013 07:17 PM

One consideration the dr may want to rule out cancer cells in the region near where the biopsy was taken, that was not sampled by the biopsy needle.

Jesichashope 04-25-2013 01:46 PM

If the doctor suspected cancer at all he would have been obligated to tell you. A lot of doctors just watch these things; the more you poke around the more likelihood cells break away, even if they are not cancerous who wants division?

There are a lot of non-conventional things you can do to be proactive with your body and keep things leaning against cancer. I would carefully look at your diet and get chemicals out; eat more organic and less red meat. Good fruits and vegetables should be the bulk of your diet. There is also a supplement called Solvestrols; there is a preventative formula; all solvestrols are effective and worthy of looking into. Try searching for it. There is a good blog writing on the whole thing as well; it will relief you mind.