It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2003, 06:53 AM   #1

mysterious76 HB User
do i need general anasthesia for LEEP???

I have read that most people have local anasthesia, but my doctor seemed to feel pretty strongly that I, personally, would need general given how anxious I am... Has anyone had general, and what do you guys think?

Second question, how many days after your LEEP before you could go back to work. I am a teacher so it's nothing physically stressful. I posted once before and only got one response, and my surgery is on Tuesday so I would LOVE to hear from more of you. I'm incredibly anxious and have only been getting a couple hours of sleep per night b/c of this anxiety.

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2003, 07:11 AM   #2
Inactive

KimRick HB User
I believe that most doctors do give general anesthesia because it's a very invasive procedure and they want to make you feel as comfortable as possible. I, personally, HATE being put under! It also freaks me out having to sign those stupid papers regarding brain damage & death caused by the anesthesia.

I remember the first time I had the LEEP done, I was put completely under. I was SO scared and when the anesthesiologist injected the dope into my I.V., it burned for a few seconds and then all of a sudden, I started cracking up - hysterically! I even laughed all the way into the O.R. and I remember trying to help myself off the gurney and on to the operating table. The last thing I remember was counting backwards from 100.

I woke up to a nurse with HORRIBLE bedside manners, violently shaking me to wake up. I remember throwing my hand up in her face, begging her to stop because I felt sick, and, in turn, she put this tiny dixie cup next to my head and tells me to get sick in that!

I wouldn't worry about it, though. You go in, they put you to sleep and before you know it, it's over!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2003, 07:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
I had it with the local. I think each doc has their preference. Plus, I decided to do it on the spot so I didn't have the anxiety ahead of time.

It turns out that it takes about as long as the colpo. If you have it done in the office, you can be in and out in thirty minutes. With the general anesthesia, it can take over your whole day. I had general anesthesia recently and I would avoid it if possible. I didn't mind it too much, but it doesn't seem absolutely necessary for the LEEP. I wasn't sick - I asked them ahead of time to give me something so I wouldn't get sick. I woke up fine, just a little groggy. It was tough waking up and I was still groggy the next day.

If you have it under general, you should probably skip work the next day. You are supposed to take it easy for 24 hours after the anesthesia. With the local, you can work the next day as long as your work isn't strenuous. But, don't over-do it. If you think you want a day to relax, take it. Your body will thank you. But, if you will sit and stress about it, working will take your mind off of it.

As for the anxiety, call your doctor's office and ask if they will give you a prescription to help you relax. Stress is very bad for you right now. Many women who have the local take Zanax and a pain reliever ahead of time. It seems to help a lot.

Good luck!

Nik

Old 11-14-2003, 04:43 PM   #4

becky1954 HB User
I had the general but then I also had a D&C at the same time. I didn't mind being put to sleep. I would rather that than be in pain. I had mine done on a Friday so I had all weekend to rest but then I still went home from work after an hour on Monday because I was still not feeling well. After the general I was in pain so they gave me a shot and then sent me home with Vicoden. My doctor preferred to put me to sleep because she thought it would be too uncomfortable for me if she didn't. It all depends on the doctor. They gave me a pill before hand so I would not get sick from the anesthesia and I never did get sick.

Old 11-14-2003, 07:46 PM   #5

Shiloh75 HB User
Smile

I've never been 'put to sleep' although I seem to always beg for it. They usually just laugh at me. Turns out, I ALWAYS make it out to be worse than it is. I even wanted to be knocked out to have my wisdom teeth pulled and dang near fainted because of how worked up I got over it. It was simpler than a cleaning. lol

As for the LEEP, I just had epinephrine and it went smoothly. I just took that day off, but felt fine the next day. I don't know how to not be nervous about medical procedures, but I am aware that I overreact and that helps me some.

Old 11-14-2003, 09:29 PM   #6

Weebs37 HB User
I hope I can help!

Mysterious,

I have experience with just this subject as of two days ago, because that is when I had my LEEP. My doctor also wanted to do my LEEP under general anesthesia, because that's just how they do it. They used to do it in the office all the time under local, but it was more convenient for the patient under general, and since most insurance companies pay for it, what the heck.

Anyway, long story short, my insurance stinks, so my doctor called me and told me they would do it in the office just for me. I was a special case, even though I've heard so many who have had it done under local only. So I said, sure, if you think it's okay.

So this past Wednesday I went in to the clinic at 8:00 a.m. for my LEEP using local anesthetic. The doctor came in at 8:10 a.m. We talked, she explained the procedure, I signed some papers and hopped up on the table. It went soooo smoothly and painlessly, that I would do this again over a colpo/biopsy any day. I didn't feel the shot to localize the anesthesia and I didn't feel anything DURING the LEEP. I walked out of the office at 8:45 a.m.

To answer your second question, I requested the rest of the week off just to give myself some time to heal. I'm on my feet for 5 hours straight at my job and I thought the pressure would be tough. I was out shopping that afternoon looking for some things and after about 2hours I went home and put my feet up because I felt really heavy down below. Not hurting, just heavy! Do you kow what I mean? I would think if you are a teacher and will be on your feet for any length of time you may want to take a couple of days off.

Oh, and by the way, I asked my doctor to prescribe a valium pill for anxiety before the procedure. I was on such a high! LOL I also took 400 mg. Motrin. I don't take much drugs of any sort, so that may be why I didn't feel anything, because my body wasn't used to having a pain reliever.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me privately. I'll be glad to help you in any way I can. I know this stuff is so stressful.

Take care,

Weebs

Closed Thread