It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2003, 06:09 AM   #1

Haley1234 HB User
Question Colposcopy - How often do you need to have them done?

My doctor told me to come in every 3-4 months to have a colposcopy done, for the rest of my life! To me, this sounds like he's padding the bill. When I got a second opinion, I was told I could just re-PAP every 3-6 months and if they all came up normal not to worry.

Here's the thing though, I had a PAP come back normal. My doctor said to schedule a colposcopy any way because I had CIN II/CIN III in 1997. Well, he did find CIN I when he did the colposcopy. He didn't find this on the PAP because the area he swabbed didnít have CIN I.

The other thing is that I had him put in an IUD just three weeks before the colposcopy. He said if he found CIN it would have to come out. Since my PAP was normal I didnít care. Now I care, because it has to come out and it was $400. Expensive birth control for only two months of use!

Does this sound to you like he's padding the bill or being more careful than most doctors? Insurance covers it, but still, that's a lot of money and worry. My doctor seems to have a lot to gain by this, perhaps more than I have to gain?

Old 12-02-2003, 09:27 PM   #2

Lucky87531 HB User
Re: Colposcopy - How often do you need to have them done?

Hm.... I'd say get a new Doc. You can never be too careful, but a colposcopy every 4 months? I was told a Pap every 4 months for 1 year after treating dysplasia. And, if you only have mild dysplasia, it doesnt seem necessary to treat it right away. Most doctors just watch it to see if your body can fight it off naturally without having it removed. I don't want it to seem like taking care of this isnt important, but it doesnt seem like you should need a colposcopy that often if you are having normal papsmears. Either you have a doctor that really does care a lot about you, or he's milking it. Where exactly is hte mild dysplasia? He said the area he swabbed wasnt where the dyspalsia was.... well, if it is on your cervix... isnt that where he swabbed? I dont know, it just seems a little weird to me. You might want to seriously think about a new doctor. Hope you get everythign figured out!!! I also answered your question about the vulvar dysplasia earlier so feel free to ask any questions!!

Annie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2003, 05:53 AM   #3

Haley1234 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky87531
Where exactly is the mild dysplasia? He said the area he swabbed wasnít where the dysplasia was.... well, if it is on your cervix... isnít that where he swabbed?

Annie
The mild dysplasia is on my cervix. He took four biopsies, two from my cervix and two from my vaginal walls. Ouch! One of the biopsies from my cervix came back with the mild dysplasia. He also wants to take one more biopsy from my vulva, as I told you in that other post. I'm going to let him do that on 12/23, but that's the last time I'll be going to that doctor. I just don't trust him any more. I think he's milking it. I also think that because he's a man, he doesn't seem to understand the importance of not over treating the problem. I donít want to do anything that may risk my fertility. I want to get pregnant again next year.

I got a second opinion from a female gyno and she told me that when you have a PAP done, they only swab half of your cervix. They figure if they miss something, they'll catch it at your next annual exam. I found that news to be a bit unsettling.

I'll be switching to the female gyno in Feb when her new office opens by my house.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:27 AM   #4

Lucky87531 HB User

WHAT?!?!?! They only swab half of our cervix??? What the crap? For my next pap, I am going to have her swab the whole darn thing!!! But my doctor is awesome and I trust what she does. I'm definatly going to ask her about that though. And I definatly like having a woman doctor. NOthing againt males, but I find her more understanding, and she actually gives me compliments like telling me "Oh wow, you have a beautiful cervix. It's like a text book cervix"... yeah, i know thats a little weird, but better than her telling me its ugly. She also encourages me to keep up the good health and stuff like that, and listens and cares about all of the other problems with my body. I just flat out like my doctor!!! Anywho, good luck with finding the right one for you!!! keep me posted with teh biopsy results!!

Annie

Old 12-05-2003, 12:23 PM   #5

liz109 HB User

That sounds a little excessive to me!
Why would your doc need to take out the IUD? When I was originally scheduled to have my LEEP done, the GYN said she could even do the LEEP and still leave it in!!!

Best of luck to you!
Diagnosed 11/14/03
Radical Hysterectom 11/25/03

Old 12-06-2003, 05:57 AM   #6

Haley1234 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz109
That sounds a little excessive to me!
Why would your doc need to take out the IUD? When I was originally scheduled to have my LEEP done, the GYN said she could even do the LEEP and still leave it in!!!

Best of luck to you!
REALLY??!! Oh, I hope they can do that for me too! It wasn't exactly pleasant having them put it in to begin with. The thought of it coming out really annoys me since it just went in. $400 for two months of birth control, GRRRRR!

Old 12-06-2003, 10:54 AM   #7

liz109 HB User

Yep, she said she could just tuck the string away and work around it. I would DEFINATELY ask, or get a second opinion.
Diagnosed 11/14/03
Radical Hysterectom 11/25/03

Closed Thread