It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2003, 06:44 PM   #1

Gary Jones HB User
Unhappy Cervical Cancer

My wife went into the doctor's office a couple of weeks ago, she has been trying to make herself feel better on her own with no luck. He said that she has cervical cancer and could tell just by examing her, she has been feeling bad for about a year and has been getting worse just recently. I know that there are stages to this and we have no idea where she is now, it seems that we are getting the run around to see how much they can charge us for what has to be done. Her blood count is down below 8 and has no energy, seems to be bleeding a few times a week some worse than others. We are having a hard time on getting an answer on what to do and everyday that passes I'm affraid that it's getting worse, I'm lost.

Thanks

Last edited by Gary Jones; 12-14-2003 at 03:49 AM.

Old 12-14-2003, 08:07 AM   #2

Lucky87531 HB User
Re: Cervical Cancer

I am so sorry to hear about your wife. It's so unfortunate, especially when you are getting the run-around from your doctors. I dont have any advise, or any personal experience with this. I guess the only thing I can tell you, since she is feeling so bad, is to go with the doctor that you feel most comfortable with, and feel like you would be comfortable doing the procedure with and get it taken care of oneway or another. It sounds pretty serious, I dont know if I would put it off for any longer. Maybe you could try a location that is known for good care in cervical cancer, even if it isnt that close. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

annie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2003, 10:05 PM   #3

liz109 HB User

Gary, I know exactly how you and your wife feel. I was diagnose with cervical cancer, stage IBII last month. I am now healing from a hysterectomy.

Get a doctor that will do something FAST! There is no reason for your wife to be suffering. The mental anguish is the WORST! I know it's a very confusing and trying time for you and your family.

What other tests has her doctor done, or what have they scheduled? I did ALOT of research on the subject over the internet, and I must say I learned SO MUCH! If you have any questions from me, I'm not shy--so I will answer whatever I can! Best of luck to you and your wife. Keep in contact and let us know how ya'll are doing!
Diagnosed 11/14/03
Radical Hysterectom 11/25/03

Old 12-15-2003, 06:28 PM   #4

Gary Jones HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz109
Gary, I know exactly how you and your wife feel. I was diagnose with cervical cancer, stage IBII last month. I am now healing from a hysterectomy.

Get a doctor that will do something FAST! There is no reason for your wife to be suffering. The mental anguish is the WORST! I know it's a very confusing and trying time for you and your family.

What other tests has her doctor done, or what have they scheduled? I did ALOT of research on the subject over the internet, and I must say I learned SO MUCH! If you have any questions from me, I'm not shy--so I will answer whatever I can! Best of luck to you and your wife. Keep in contact and let us know how ya'll are doing!
Thanks for writing, the test was a pats mere and came back inconclusive because of too much blood, we are going tomorrow to another doctor because the first one raised the price of the biopsy for some reason. Her mouth is real raw and she can not hold anything down. I wish she would talk to you because I don't know everything that is going on. The stage that you were at, is that the advanced stage? She has been feeling bad for about a year and did not know why, the first doctor looked at her utirus and said that her's was the 2nd one that he has seen that bad in 10 years and it's up around her stomach and she needed surgery right away, we don't have insurance being self employed so it's hard to find a way to do all of this. Thanks

Last edited by Gary Jones; 12-15-2003 at 06:29 PM.

Old 12-15-2003, 09:06 PM   #5
(female)

mnemosyne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Jones
Thanks for writing, the test was a pats mere and came back inconclusive because of too much blood, we are going tomorrow to another doctor because the first one raised the price of the biopsy for some reason. Her mouth is real raw and she can not hold anything down. I wish she would talk to you because I don't know everything that is going on. The stage that you were at, is that the advanced stage? She has been feeling bad for about a year and did not know why, the first doctor looked at her utirus and said that her's was the 2nd one that he has seen that bad in 10 years and it's up around her stomach and she needed surgery right away, we don't have insurance being self employed so it's hard to find a way to do all of this. Thanks
Did the doctor physically examine her, or did he also do a CT scan of her pelvis? It's hard to tell what he can tell from a physical exam, but you're right to go to another physician. If your wife does have a more advanced form of cervical cancer and her physician believes she will be disabled for 12 months, she could be eligible for Social Security disability benefits and thus medicaid, so you should keep that in mind as a way to help with the medical bills. The local chapter of the American Cancer Society might also be able to direct you to state or local programs that could help you pay for screening and treatment.

Good luck.

Old 12-15-2003, 09:31 PM   #6

liz109 HB User

This is what I don't understand............
Technically, a doctor really can't determine whether or not you have cervical cancer just because a pap came back inconclusive. How does he know it has traveled up into her uterus?
Normally, the symptoms of cervical cancer is bleeding after intercourse, breakthrough bleeding, and a weird discharge, although, these symptoms can mean other things also. That's why it's important to see a GYN. However, being sick to your stomach isn't really an indicator of cervical cancer.

What all tests have they done? You mentioned that they want to do a biopsy? Do you know what kind? A colposcopy? A LEEP? A cone biopsy?

I'm not trying to pressure you. I'm simply trying to get some information from you so I can share with you experiences and what I've researched.

The normal process is for someone to have a pap smear, then a colposcopy (biopsy), then the doc will have to wait for those results to come back with the next course of action. They will be able to tell you what phase of "pre cancer" NOT CANCER, your wife has. This is called cervical dysplasia. This is NOT cancer. It simply means that if you don't get it taken care of, it could turn into cancer. If it comes back as dysplasia, they will recommend your wife either get some type of laser treatment or LEEP or cone biopsy to remove the dysplasic cells from her cervix. Those results will come back to let you know what the next course of action is, if there are any more. If it comes back bad (like mine did), they will send her to a gynecological oncologist. That doc will determine what the next step should be. For me, it was a radical hysterectomy.

If you can answer those questions for me, I will help guide you and try and help put your minds to ease, if that is even a possibility!

Best of luck!
Diagnosed 11/14/03

Old 12-15-2003, 09:33 PM   #7

liz109 HB User

OH, I must also commend you on trying to get information for you and your wife! My husband was my lifeline through all of this. You really need to be just as informed, if not MORE informed about all that your wife is going through. It will really help her out, and you may learn a thing or two along the way. Even after two kids, my husband learned alot more than he ever really wanted to know about the female reproductive system
Diagnosed 11/14/03

Old 12-15-2003, 09:53 PM   #8

Lucky87531 HB User

I am sorry to hear that you don't have insurance, but if you don't find a way to take care of this, it's only going to get worse. This very well could be life or death, and if it means going into debt a little bit, so be it. My parents are self-employed and have insurance, I am not sure what kind, and I know it is very expensive, but it is worth it. Please try to get your wife on here. All of these ladies are great and very understanding. She needs to talk to people that have similar problems as her to find ways to take care of this!!! Tell her we are praying for her!

Annie

Old 12-19-2003, 07:00 PM   #9

Gary Jones HB User

Well, my wife is back home after a few days in the hospital, she has the forth stage of the cancer but with cemo and radiation they said that she would probably would be ok. She has to go for check ups for the next 5 years to see if it comes back or not, she will be getting 5-6 cemo treatments and 25 radiation treatments over the next 5 weeks. But she seems to be doing a lot better now than 5 days ago, thanks to everyone that wrote.
Gary

Old 12-19-2003, 07:02 PM   #10

Gary Jones HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemosyne
Did the doctor physically examine her, or did he also do a CT scan of her pelvis? It's hard to tell what he can tell from a physical exam, but you're right to go to another physician. If your wife does have a more advanced form of cervical cancer and her physician believes she will be disabled for 12 months, she could be eligible for Social Security disability benefits and thus medicaid, so you should keep that in mind as a way to help with the medical bills. The local chapter of the American Cancer Society might also be able to direct you to state or local programs that could help you pay for screening and treatment.

Good luck.
Well, my wife is back home after a few days in the hospital, she has the forth stage of the cancer but with cemo and radiation they said that she would probably would be ok. She has to go for check ups for the next 5 years to see if it comes back or not, she will be getting 5-6 cemo treatments and 25 radiation treatments over the next 5 weeks. But she seems to be doing a lot better now than 5 days ago, thanks to everyone that wrote.
Gary

Old 12-19-2003, 07:17 PM   #11

liz109 HB User

I am SO SORRY to hear your news.
Diagnosed 11/14/03

Old 12-19-2003, 08:46 PM   #12

Lucky87531 HB User

Well, atleast you know what exactly is wrong, and that she is being treated for it!!! I am glad that we helped a little!! Best of luck, let us know how she does!! Ler her know that we are praying for her.

Annie

Old 01-20-2004, 12:47 AM   #13

liz109 HB User

Hi Gary,
I was just reading back on some posts. Just wondering how you and your wife are doing. How is she responding to chemo/radiation.

Let her know that she's in my prayers
Diagnosed 11/14/03

Old 01-20-2004, 06:03 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemosyne

Good luck.
I noticed that your state lists you as being in Georgia. Go to the nearest salvation army outlet. Tell them what the financial issues are. I am not sure how close you are to the Baptist Hospital in Atlanta on PeachTree Street, but I do know that it is a teaching hospital and that there may be a way for her to get the best available care at that place. I am originally from that area and know how hard it is to find assistance if you are not well off. Take care.

Closed Thread