It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2004, 10:14 AM   #1
(female)

lori g HB User
Cervical Dysplasia Question...Need Help

Hi everyone,
I got my report back from my doctor that after my pap came back abnormal, that my biopsy also came back abnormal and now I have a cone biopsy procedure scheduled in 2 wks. My doctor did mention to me that HPV is often the cause of cervical dysplasia, however my report from the biopsy came back clear of HPV. He said as of right now there really is no explanation of why my level of dysplasia came back so high. Do any of you ladies have any type of information or answers for me? Believe anything you have to say will make a world of difference right now, because I just don't know what to think anymore.
Thanks,
Laura

Old 01-08-2004, 11:23 AM   #2
Inactive

KimRick HB User
Re: Cervical Dysplasia Question...Need Help

Did the doctor perform an HPV DNA test? Alot of things can cause dyslasia, such as lack of folic acid, just having a baby, sex before examination, poor genes, but the MAIN cause is usually HPV.

Last edited by KimRick; 01-08-2004 at 11:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2004, 12:08 PM   #3
(female)

lori g HB User

Yes they did test for HPV, and came back negative. I didn't have intercourse anytime before either test and I don't have a baby. Don't know about the folic acid and don't know about poor genes. Thanks for the information!!

Old 01-08-2004, 04:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User

Hey Lori,

I think a couple of other risk factors are smoking and use of birth control. They also say having sex at a young age or having multiple partners are risk factors, but I am pretty sure that is because of HPV.

I believe it is possible to get false negatives on pretty much any medical tests, including the HPV test. Also, though, cervical dysplasia can be just like any other dysplasia/cancer. No one knows for sure why, but some people develop it and some people don't. Please, just be happy that you are getting it cut out of you and start doing everything you can to help it heal properly. Follow all of the post-op orders about restricting certains activities. Also, try to beef up the healthier parts of your diet and cut back on things like white sugar and white flour that may feed cancer. Cut back if you smoke and try to get more exercise within the limits your doc sets. Also, try to find a way to send positive energy to your cervix: meditate, do yoga, light some candles; whatever makes you feel good and helps you relax.

And, whenever you need to, come to healthboards and vent and ask a lot of questions!

Old 01-14-2004, 05:48 AM   #5

lippylippy HB User
Post Re: Cervical Dysplasia Question...Need Help

I also have cervical dysplasia and no HPV..... When my pap came back funny 2 years after having my daughter... they then scheduled me for a colposcopy... at that point I was what they thought to be at moderate...... when my biopsy came back back I was a moderately to sever pre-cancerous dysplasia..... This past week I had the LEEP procedure (I put it off for 6 months, SHAME on me) and I'm waiting for the results from that. The procedures really cause more scare and worry than actual pain or discomfort. They took out a huge piece (or maybe not so huge, not sure) It was about the size of a half dollar and about a 1/4 inch thick. Hopefully you have a really good doctor...... follow his orders!!! You will be fine! As I will be, as we all will be Hang in there and keep posting! it helps!!

~Lip

Old 01-14-2004, 10:19 AM   #6
(female)

lori g HB User

Thanks so much Lip, your post really helped!!!

Old 01-18-2004, 12:43 PM   #7

ButterflyGirl22 HB User

Lori, I didn't see this post earlier, but I recently posted a question about negative hpv results, but having dysplagia. So I'm another case and I admit I'm pretty confused about it myself! My doctor last year, when I found out I had dysplagia and had my LEEP done, told me that there have been cases where virgins get dysplagia and he used an example that nuns have had it too. I also wonder about a false negative result, but either way I had dysplagia last year and have to get regular exams to make sure it doesn't come back. Good luck. You're not alone!

Old 01-18-2004, 10:45 PM   #8
dpedron

Smile Re: Cervical Dysplasia Question...Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori g
Hi everyone,
I got my report back from my doctor that after my pap came back abnormal, that my biopsy also came back abnormal and now I have a cone biopsy procedure scheduled in 2 wks. My doctor did mention to me that HPV is often the cause of cervical dysplasia, however my report from the biopsy came back clear of HPV. He said as of right now there really is no explanation of why my level of dysplasia came back so high. Do any of you ladies have any type of information or answers for me? Believe anything you have to say will make a world of difference right now, because I just don't know what to think anymore.
Thanks,
Laura
Hi Laura
I too went through cervical dysplasia 2 years ago and went through alot of agony for about 8 months. First I had several abnormal Pap tests and my doctor wasn't too worried since abnormal Paps are quite frequent in women. Then had the colposcopy and biopsy. The biopsy was not cancer but dysplasia (pre-cancerous cells). My doctor reassured me (especially since I always had normal annual paps all my adult life) that I would be ok. He performed cryosurgery ( a painless and not lengthy procedure- the colposcopy was more unpleasent) and that will be 2 yrs ago come April. I get a Pap every 6 month now and all have been normal. They have also been doing the Thin Prep Pap which is a far more accurate testing than the standard Pap test that has been around for so long. My best recommendation for you is to get this book, which I did and read it. It is called "Abnormal Pap Smears, What Every Woman needs to Know" Written by 2 women MDs, Lynda Rushing and Nancy Joste. This book will cover everything and the more you know the better off you will be. It is in paperback and easy to read and understand. One of the doctors who wrote it happens to live in the same city as I do which I did not know until I saw an article on this in our local newspaper discussing this issue. This was while I was going through my ordeal. I know this book will help you and others. It helped me alot.
I'm certain you'll be fine and well once all of this is over. But be diligent about getting done whatever it is that they recommend. Cervical cancer takes a long time to develop versus breast cancer. That is what my OB-Gyn doctor told me. It is the women who never get Paps and treatments that are at highest risk. Best of luck to you.
Donna

Old 02-03-2004, 04:28 AM   #9

Her52 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyGirl22
Lori, I didn't see this post earlier, but I recently posted a question about negative hpv results, but having dysplagia. So I'm another case and I admit I'm pretty confused about it myself! My doctor last year, when I found out I had dysplagia and had my LEEP done, told me that there have been cases where virgins get dysplagia and he used an example that nuns have had it too. I also wonder about a false negative result, but either way I had dysplagia last year and have to get regular exams to make sure it doesn't come back. Good luck. You're not alone!

False negatives in pap smear testing are always a possibility. This is because there are variables that occur with this screening test: when the actual cervical scrape is taken, the abnormal cells may be missed taking the scrape, the cells taken could become air dried before preservation and rendered useless during microscopic interpretation. The transformaton zone in the human cervix is also a variable, being that it could be too high and therefore inaccessable with the scrape apparatus. There is also the possibility the tech screening this slide could miss the cells completely; (Usually many quality controls within a cytology department, so if a Cytotech is not a good tech, that will be caught, sooner than later)

And dysplasia can be diagnosed without interpreting those cells as consistant with human papilloma virus, so yes, dysplasia without HPV is possible, but usually not likely..

Thing to remember is that a pap test is a screening test, not a true diagnostic test, due to the variables involved.

I hope this helps.

Her52

Old 02-03-2004, 09:39 AM   #10

ButterflyGirl22 HB User

Thanks, Her52. I know that the hpv test could have been a false negative and that I may have hpv as the cause of my dysplagia last year. At this point I wonder if it's irrelevant if I have hpv or not because either way, no matter what the cause of my dysplagia was, I still had dysplagia. What difference would having hpv or not, at this point, mean? Well, I guess the only difference would be that if I do have hpv I could pass it on to someone which I assume wouldn't affect a male, but would affect any females that male could be with in the future. I plan to explain my leep procedure and dysplagia to any future boyfriend I have. I'm not one to sleep around so I'm not too concerned about that. I get my pap smears done on time so that's really all I can do to check for the dysplagia returning.

I also wonder if the hpv test happened to come back negative because my dysplagia is gone. If I had the hpv test done at the time I had dysplagia, before my leep was done to remove it, I wonder if the result would have been positive then. The doctor I saw last year had the attitude that an hpv test wasn't necessary and he did point out there could be false negatives and it's not very accurate. I wish there were more accurate ways of testing, but again, either way I should focus on the problem of having had dysplagia.

Old 02-04-2004, 05:35 PM   #11

Her52 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyGirl22
Thanks, Her52. I know that the hpv test could have been a false negative and that I may have hpv as the cause of my dysplagia last year. At this point I wonder if it's irrelevant if I have hpv or not because either way, no matter what the cause of my dysplagia was, I still had dysplagia. What difference would having hpv or not, at this point, mean? Well, I guess the only difference would be that if I do have hpv I could pass it on to someone which I assume wouldn't affect a male, but would affect any females that male could be with in the future. I plan to explain my leep procedure and dysplagia to any future boyfriend I have. I'm not one to sleep around so I'm not too concerned about that. I get my pap smears done on time so that's really all I can do to check for the dysplagia returning.

I also wonder if the hpv test happened to come back negative because my dysplagia is gone. If I had the hpv test done at the time I had dysplagia, before my leep was done to remove it, I wonder if the result would have been positive then. The doctor I saw last year had the attitude that an hpv test wasn't necessary and he did point out there could be false negatives and it's not very accurate. I wish there were more accurate ways of testing, but again, either way I should focus on the problem of having had dysplagia.
Dysplasias can and do regress. They also can and do progress; The main thing is to follow your doctors' orders regarding follow up pap smears to track the progress or regression over a time period. Having a dysplasia diagnosis does not doom your sex life nor your ability to bear children...
I really think the Hybrid capture HPV DNA assay test by Digene is the best thing we have to track HPV. It is usually done on patients with ASCUS diagnoses and in frankly positive for HPV changes on pap smear.

and yes, the test could be negative for HPV if the dysplasia has regressed.

Old 02-13-2004, 12:34 PM   #12

TheSlayer HB User

just wanted to offer some support-I had the leep done about 5 years ago for severe-pre cancerous dysplasia and everything was fine after and it'd been 5 healthy years for me now(thank you God) and I've had 2 kids-so don't worry-you will be fine!! good luck and god bless!

Old 02-23-2004, 10:32 PM   #13

mom2chet HB User

I just found out a couple of hours ago that the results of my daughters' biopsy indicates that she will have "conization" which is a term I knew nothing about. I have done an internet search to try to understand what she will have done. Her doctor told her that in her case he will do this procedure because he knows she really wants to have another child. Otherwise, he would recommend a hysterectomy. Evidently, she has a lot of abnormal cells.

As her mother, I wish she would just go ahead with the hysterectomy and be happy with the two beautiful children she has. In all of my reading this evening, I know that this procedure could cause her to have problems with future pregnancies. She did not mention this to me when I talked with her. Perhaps her doctor did not tell her.

Any encouraging information would be appreciated.

Closed Thread