It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2004, 07:31 AM   #1
(female)

Genn HB User
Question LEEP Conization?

I had my LEEP consultation yesterday. My Dr. said she is going to do a LEEP Conization, under IV sedation. I am confused, I thought that a LEEP and a Conization were were 2 different procedures? Then I read that they can do a Conization using a LEEP?

I was under the impression that a Conization is a riskier procedure (as far as saving fertility) for more advanced dysplacia, or when the Doctor feels it may have already progressed to cancer. So, I am very worried now....

I had my colposcopy 2 weeks age, and my Dr. said that it showed moderate dysplacia. I get the feeling that she is not telling me everything, like she is being conservative with her diagnosis... I don't know, I am pretty freaked out!

Going over the pre & post surgery instructions was pretty scary. No food after 12 pm, no contacts, makeup, etc... Afterwards, no sex, tampons, etc, for 4 weeks (I thought it was 2!)

Has anyone else had this same procedure?

Old 02-26-2004, 01:29 PM   #2

preshy7 HB User
Talking Re: LEEP Conization?

I had the conization and it was fine. I think the leep is the elictric machine they use and the conization is actually the shape of the piece they are cutting - kind of like an upsidedown cone out of your cervix. I had this done with anesthesia and honestly, the worst part to me was the IV. I had hardly any bleeding or cramping afterwards and in 3-4 weeks I was back to my old self. They will then call you a few days after and let you know if the dysplasia is contained in the cone shape that was removed. I had severe dysplasia, and in my case, when the doctor told me that they were taking a conservative amount off, it was fully contained in the piece removed and I was fine. Unfortunately I had moderate dysplasia come back, and I literally had a cryo two days ago (hopefully that will be my last procedure!) But dont worry, it will be fine!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2004, 06:52 PM   #3
Inactive

Carlyn HB User
Re: LEEP Conization?

I'm having that done also...Next Wed.
I thought it was just the LEEP but my DR. kept talking about a conization.
I am also being put under for mine.
It's funny, b/c my Mom and I were just talking about this. I hopped online to read this board to feel a little better. Glad to know I'm not the only one in the same boat. (*Crosses fingers*) I send you the best of luck!
And if I were you, I'd worry about nothing. I actually felt better when they said they were going to put me to sleep for the procedure. The way I look at it is...the less I remember about it, the better. (In case I have to have more in the future.)
But I totally understand what you are saying about feeling as if your Dr. is holding something back from you. B/c she (my Dr.) did my colop and like a week and a half later, calls me on the phone. She told me to come in asap and told me I have 'severe dysplasia'. She said she was very surprised b/c she didn't expect such a thing when she did the colop. But it's nothing to be worried about...yada, yada, yada.
I don't know...just kind of felt like there was something she wasn't telling me.
I just hope everything comes out fine after this Leep cone thing. I'm 23 years old, I'll be 24 in Sept. I WANT TO HAVE A BABY, damn it!

Old 02-26-2004, 10:18 PM   #4
(female)

Genn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by preshy7
I had the conization and it was fine. I think the leep is the elictric machine they use and the conization is actually the shape of the piece they are cutting - kind of like an upsidedown cone out of your cervix. I had this done with anesthesia and honestly, the worst part to me was the IV. I had hardly any bleeding or cramping afterwards and in 3-4 weeks I was back to my old self. They will then call you a few days after and let you know if the dysplasia is contained in the cone shape that was removed. I had severe dysplasia, and in my case, when the doctor told me that they were taking a conservative amount off, it was fully contained in the piece removed and I was fine. Unfortunately I had moderate dysplasia come back, and I literally had a cryo two days ago (hopefully that will be my last procedure!) But dont worry, it will be fine!!
Thank you so much for the information, and for sharing your experience!

I am sorry to hear that you had moderate dysplasia come back. I hope that your Cryo got it all, and that will be your last procedure! Please keep us posted on your results!

Old 02-26-2004, 10:19 PM   #5
(female)

Genn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyn
I'm having that done also...Next Wed.
I thought it was just the LEEP but my DR. kept talking about a conization.
I am also being put under for mine.
It's funny, b/c my Mom and I were just talking about this. I hopped online to read this board to feel a little better. Glad to know I'm not the only one in the same boat. (*Crosses fingers*) I send you the best of luck!
And if I were you, I'd worry about nothing. I actually felt better when they said they were going to put me to sleep for the procedure. The way I look at it is...the less I remember about it, the better. (In case I have to have more in the future.)
But I totally understand what you are saying about feeling as if your Dr. is holding something back from you. B/c she (my Dr.) did my colop and like a week and a half later, calls me on the phone. She told me to come in asap and told me I have 'severe dysplasia'. She said she was very surprised b/c she didn't expect such a thing when she did the colop. But it's nothing to be worried about...yada, yada, yada.
I don't know...just kind of felt like there was something she wasn't telling me.
I just hope everything comes out fine after this Leep cone thing. I'm 23 years old, I'll be 24 in Sept. I WANT TO HAVE A BABY, damn it!
Thank you so much for responding! Although I am sorry to hear you are going through the same thing, it is good to hear that I am not alone!

I can relate to feeling relieved that they plan to put you under. I was ready to go in there demanding it, so I was quite surprised when she said she planned to do it that way!

Do you think that sometimes Dr’s just give the “best case scenario” to avoid scaring their patient? That is really the feeling that I am getting here, I don’t know, I could be paranoid!

I hope that yours turns out well. And I feel that I should share something with you, as far as future children:
My sister had early cervical cancer when she was 24. Although they caught it very early, the Dr. told her that having children after the surgery would be highly unlikely, and that she would have to adopt...Although she had most of her cervix removed, her cervix did regenerate, and several years later she gave birth to her first child - with no complications. Two years later, she had another healthy baby - again no complications. It has been 8 years since her ordeal with cervical cancer and she has not had a further problems, and has had normal pap-smears ever since.

So, I hope that gives you some hope, and I hope that everything works out well for you!

Old 03-03-2004, 11:18 AM   #6

RMcRae HB User
Smile Re: LEEP Conization?

Hey guys.

I just wanted to let you know that I had the LEEP/Conization back in September. I was put under for it also. I wanted to remember as little as possible. I agree that the IV was the worst part.

Afterwards I was a little sore for a day or so, but very little cramping and bleeding.

I was also worried about having children because I am also only 23 (24 in April), but my doctor assures me it is not an issue. In fact when I went back for my 3 month check up, she said she couldn't even tell that I had any kind of surgery.

Good luck with your procedures, and remember to relax, and follow the doctors instructions. I'll be thinking of you guys! Be sure to let us know how everything goes.

R

Old 03-03-2004, 06:17 PM   #7

Her52 HB User

read this re: LEEP -

[url]http://lib-sh.lsumc.edu/fammed/pted/leep.html[/url]

It should answer some of your questions about Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genn
I had my LEEP consultation yesterday. My Dr. said she is going to do a LEEP Conization, under IV sedation. I am confused, I thought that a LEEP and a Conization were were 2 different procedures? Then I read that they can do a Conization using a LEEP?

I was under the impression that a Conization is a riskier procedure (as far as saving fertility) for more advanced dysplacia, or when the Doctor feels it may have already progressed to cancer. So, I am very worried now....

I had my colposcopy 2 weeks age, and my Dr. said that it showed moderate dysplacia. I get the feeling that she is not telling me everything, like she is being conservative with her diagnosis... I don't know, I am pretty freaked out!

Going over the pre & post surgery instructions was pretty scary. No food after 12 pm, no contacts, makeup, etc... Afterwards, no sex, tampons, etc, for 4 weeks (I thought it was 2!)

Has anyone else had this same procedure?

Old 03-04-2004, 05:32 PM   #8
Inactive

Carlyn HB User

Mine was nothing of the sort of that article...I was fast asleep and it was (and still, for the most part, is) completely painless. I've had a little bit of cramping here and there. And a few dizzy spells. But no bleeding or anything of that sort. And really, the pain is minor next to some periods I've had in the past.
I posted my experience on the board...you should check it out.

Closed Thread