It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2004, 08:15 AM   #1

iffer HB User
chances of going from high grade lesion on byopsy to cancer on leep?

I am losing it guys, I have tried to take a deep breath and cope, but this fear is ridiculous.

I have read a few threads of some women going from mod to severe dysplasia on their byopsy to cervical cancer on their leep. I though the byopsy is supposed to tell you if you have cancer or not isn't it? How do you get through the waiting game. I have not had my leep yet and have to wait another 2.5 weeks. I have this knot in my throat, ok if it is cancer, it can be cured, but oh my gosh, I want more kids.

I look forward to replies maybe they will help, I am a young mom of two, loving being a mom and my life is still flashing in front of my eyes. I am on the verge of tears.
iffer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2004, 05:14 PM   #2

tabs2b HB User
Re: chances of going from high grade lesion on byopsy to cancer on leep?

Iffer--

I am going through the same issue as you. My pap showed severe dysplasia/possible carcinoma in situ. The biopsy came back as moderate to severe dysplasia. I, too, am worried about the biopsy results being worse, but from everything I have been able to read, it appears the chances of that are slim. However, if it is cancer, depending on the severity, they may be able to do a cold cone biopsy which hopefully would remove it and preserve your fertility. There is also a very new prodedure where only your cervix is removed. THe chances of getting pregnant drop to around 40% but that is better odds than 0%!

Hope this helps a bit. I know EXACTLY how you feel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2004, 08:22 PM   #3

Lilyenne HB User

I put this on the other thread, but the highest number I saw for invasive cervical cancer when the doctor wasn't expecting it (i.e. didn't show up in the biopsy) was 5%. That is pretty good odds that you will not have invasive cervical cancer. The waiting is the worse part. When I was diagnosed with CIN III after the biopsy I was in shock. My pap said mild dysplasia and my doctor told me that my lesion looked mild (she was obviously wrong). My LEEP was initially scheduled for 6 weeks after I received my biopsy results. The waiting was killing me, even though I asked a friend of a friend who is an ob/gyn who said that amount of time was completely within normal limits. Anyway, I was on the edge of panic attacks so I called my doctor to see if I could move the appointment up. I ended up having the LEEP only 10 days after the biopsy results. Things get better after the results of the LEEP come back (assuming they got it all).

I'm now two months out from my LEEP and I'm no longer thinking about this all day every day (although I still do think about it a lot). I hope this helps those of you that have to still go through this.

Old 04-10-2004, 03:32 PM   #4

LEEPpatient HB User

I know exactly how you all are feeling. I just had my third LEEP done. It is very frightening. The waiting is the worst. Just keep in mind that is could take years for cancer to develop, so in most cases it is caught before it gets to cancer. I have been dealing with this for a year and half and extremely worried I am going to end up with cancer. Keep a positive attitude and I hope everything turns out ok.
Good Luck

Old 04-10-2004, 08:18 PM   #5

dagiffen HB User

i had a LEEP that came back invasive, micro-invasive actually, but good news is the LEEP got all of the invasive cancer, (that was squamous cell) i also had adenocarcinoma in citu which did not ha ve cler margins on the path report, i have the option to do another LEEP or a hysterectomy, i choose hysterectomy si nce i am finished having children, i am only 25 but my husband and i decided after our last he was it. my husabnd is military and gone ALOT! i go in Monday morning for surgery. good news is if it is invasive, there is a chance the LEEP would get it the first time, as in my case with the invasive cancer. my coposcopy showed moderate/severe dysplasia, but the LEEP said invasive, but do not worry until the time comes. i worried for a month if i was walking around with cancer, is it growing etc becasue my original OBGYN did not tell me the LEEP got it, but my GYN/ONC cleared that up for me and told me the invasive was gone, they were just unsure about the adenocarcinoma becasue of the LEEP burning the edges of the tissue it did not h ave clear margins, so i could repeat if i wanted so they could either see if they did get it, or get it, i hope i made sense!!

Old 04-29-2004, 09:34 AM   #6

KarensHere4U HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEPpatient
I know exactly how you all are feeling. I just had my third LEEP done. It is very frightening. The waiting is the worst. Just keep in mind that is could take years for cancer to develop, so in most cases it is caught before it gets to cancer. I have been dealing with this for a year and half and extremely worried I am going to end up with cancer. Keep a positive attitude and I hope everything turns out ok.
Good Luck
LEEPpatient, why did you have to have so many LEEPS done?

Old 04-29-2004, 09:39 AM   #7

KarensHere4U HB User

Iffer, I know how you feel. But just know that we are ALL here for you to talk to. You WILL get through this. Take it as a sign that you need to start enjoying your life more. The worst part about all of this is the worrying. But trust me, it is just that they are better at catching this stuff now than they have in the past. The are just taking precautions by removing bad cells. You will do just fine. Keep telling yourself that. The worrying is the worst part.........so let your worry go. What you are going through will make you a stronger person!

Also,.....on a side note. I highly recommend taking vitamins. Mainly taking vitamins E, C, Folic acid and selenium. Reduce or stop any caffeine. Reduce or stop any alcohol. Take good care of your health.

[ removed ]

Good luck, and if you ever want to talk.........I'm here for you. I had the LEEP, I had the biopsies,.......and the severe dysplasia with HPV.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-07-2004 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please review the Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Closed Thread