It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2004, 03:05 PM   #1

LM579 HB User
Possibly Stage 0 of Cervical Cancer (Had Leep) & have several questions

Hello,

I am writing this in hopes of helping other women in the same situation that I am in and also to obtain answers for myself.

Here’s my story:
I am currently 32 years of age and have no children. In May of this year I had my first pap going on two years (prior to this one all my other paps were normal), the results of the PAP in May came back "abnormal" with the indication of “Atypical Glandular Cells”, the doctor recommended that the next step would be a colposcopy, since I was not familiar with this and was told that the lab that they use sometimes came back with negative results, I seeked a second opinion. Within a month (June), I saw a second doctor and they performed another pap on me to confirm if I truly needed a colposcopy. This time the pap results came back HSIL encompassing CIN2, CIN3, and CIS (told “pre-cancerous” cells). This time I went through with have the colposcopy (same month in June), since the results of my pap were HSIL the doctor automatically indicated the next step is to have a leep or a cone biopsy performed. I freaked. I was told this doctor only performed the procedure in a hospital and under sedation, since I have never been in the hospital, sedated, and worried about having possible children in the future, I seeked a third opinion.

In July, I was able to see another doctor and this one was one of the best doctors in my area. Based on all the test results (paps and colposcopy) they confirmed this needed to be performed (leep or cone biopsy) as soon as possible. I was told I had “severe dysplasia”. Within a couple weeks I had the leep procedure performed. This was performed in a hospital and under sedation.

Yesterday I received the test results of the leep biopsy and was given the news that some of the cells were “cancer” “carcinoma in situ”. I am still not clear where the possible cancer cells were mostly and am very confused why the colposcopy didn’t show any of the “cancerous” cells and if it progressed to “carcinoma in situ” within a few weeks (is that possible) or am I confused about what “carcinoma in situ” and what “severe dysplasia” is? The doctor claims they are confident they got it all, but now I need to wait the two months to have my first pap.

My Questions:
1. What is the difference between “severe dysplasia”, “carcinoma in situ”, and "invasive cancer"?
2. Can the progression of what I have happen in two years? From being normal to possibly be at Stage 0 of Cervical Cancer?
3. Can a pap result of “Atypical Glandular Cells” progress to “HSIL encompassing CIN1, CIN3, and CIS in “two” months?
4. Why wouldn’t a colposcopy show up the “carcinoma in situ”?
5. They assumed due to my condition I was infected with the HPV virus and have never been tested, since there is no cure for the HPV virus, and I would like to have a baby someday, would I infect my husband when trying to have one?
6. Since I had “severe dysplasia” or Stage 0 of Cervical Cancer could he get cancer and what would the signs be?
7. Does anyone of any information related to a possible vaccine for HPV and if so, since I am possibly infected could I get the vaccine or my husband?
8. I have been told that there are many different strains of HPV, how do you know which strain you were infected with? Since I was probably infected two years ago, I am assuming I came in contact with a “high-risk” strain and what would that be? I have no signs of warts?
9. Since I am assuming I am in Stage 0 of cervical cancer, do I actually have cervical cancer?
10. Is there anything more a person should be doing in my situation?
11. How did you tell your boyfriend or husband that you may be possibly infected with a STD (HPV)?

If anyone would like any information about what I went through for the colposcopy or the leep, please let me know. To be honest, I was very scared and frightened, but pretty much both procedures took less then 15-20 minutes and it was all over with.

Thank you to anyone who responds and I feel everyone’s stress and anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2004, 04:09 PM   #2

Lucky_me HB User
Exclamation Re: Possibly Stage 0 of Cervical Cancer (Had Leep) & have several questions

Please dear, stay calm. I am also 32 with no children and have CIN-1, high-risk cancer and herpes (a risk factor for cancer). I will have a LEEP in September. I understand exactly how you feel. The most important thing now is stay optimistic and do a lot of research like I see you are doing. Here are the answers to your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM579
My Questions:
1. What is the difference between “severe dysplasia”, “carcinoma in situ”, and "invasive cancer"?
Severe dysplasia is not cancer yet but if you don't treat these abnormal cells, they migth become cancer
Carcinoma in situ is cancer just there and not invasive, it had not spread to other parts of your body.
2. Can the progression of what I have happen in two years? From being normal to possibly be at Stage 0 of Cervical Cancer?
Yes, it is possible unfortunatelly. Are you a smoker? this could increase the risk of cervical cancer. Also some pap smears might come as normal when you actually have a problem.
3. Can a pap result of “Atypical Glandular Cells” progress to “HSIL encompassing CIN1, CIN3, and CIS in “two” months?
A pap of Atypical Glandular cells just indicate that something is not normal. It usually happens when they cannot determine exactly if it is something more serious or just a bacterial or yeast infection.

4. Why wouldn’t a colposcopy show up the “carcinoma in situ”?
Because you need a biopsy to determine that.

5. They assumed due to my condition I was infected with the HPV virus and have never been tested, since there is no cure for the HPV virus, and I would like to have a baby someday, would I infect my husband when trying to have one?
Probably if he already don't have it since condoms don't fully protect against this virus. Don't worry, nothing happen to men. If you have HPV that cause warts he might get that but otherwise nothing will happen because the high-risk hpvs do not cause warts

6. Since I had “severe dysplasia” or Stage 0 of Cervical Cancer could he get cancer and what would the signs be?
No, he could not get cancer. The cases are very very rare. Almost none.

7. Does anyone of any information related to a possible vaccine for HPV and if so, since I am possibly infected could I get the vaccine or my husband?
Unfortunatelly not at this point. But he probably has some kind of hpv also since 90% of the population has

8. I have been told that there are many different strains of HPV, how do you know which strain you were infected with? Since I was probably infected two years ago, I am assuming I came in contact with a “high-risk” strain and what would that be? I have no signs of warts?

You need the results of a Hpv type specific Pap Smear. There are many high-risk strains. Like I said, high-risk hpv usually do not cause warts

9. Since I am assuming I am in Stage 0 of cervical cancer, do I actually have cervical cancer?
I don't know the answer to this question. Sorry.

10. Is there anything more a person should be doing in my situation?
Just be optimistic, have a good doctor, eat a healthy diet, take supplements like acid folic, multivitaminas, vit-c, b, a,e, exercise, use condoms, do not smoke, drink in moderation, try to have not much stress, sleep well. IT is very important that you use condoms for a while after the LEEP because it prevents further irritation of the cervix.

11. How did you tell your boyfriend or husband that you may be possibly infected with a STD (HPV)?
I was very upfront and told the first time we went out when we started dating. He was completely supportive. I had herpes at that time. Now we got married and I found out about the HPV. He might have transmitted it to me because his ex-girlfriend had a LEEP before. He never mentioned before much, but I would still have married him anyway

I hope this helps for now. Let me know what else I can do for you. The most important thing is to never give up. I wish you the best, Lucky.

Thank you to anyone who responds and I feel everyone’s stress and anxiety.

Last edited by Lucky_me; 07-28-2004 at 04:12 PM.

Old 07-28-2004, 04:29 PM   #3

Lucky_me HB User
Re: Possibly Stage 0 of Cervical Cancer (Had Leep) & have several questions

Hi LM

I did a research and it seems that Carcinoma in situ is just in the surface of the cervix, which is good because it has not invaded the basal layer and it has a greater chance of cure. so invasive, probably means that invaded the other layers of the cervix and not other parts of the body like I previously mentioned. Lucky

Old 07-28-2004, 06:53 PM   #4

LM579 HB User

Hello,

I just wanted to thank you "Lucky_me"! You gave me alot of good information and support in a time of need.

Also, per your smoker question, I am not a smoker.

Thanks again!

Old 07-28-2004, 06:55 PM   #5

LM579 HB User

Also, just wanted to wish you luck too!!

Old 07-29-2004, 12:52 PM   #6

Lilyenne HB User

I hope I can answer some of your questions. First, you do NOT have cervical cancer. Carcinoma in situ and CIS are the same thing and it is a PRE-cancerous condition (but one that does need to be taken care of). I also had CIS (and am the same age and don't have children). I went from a perfectly normal pap (and a total history of normal paps) to CIS in 11 months. It is widely dependent on the person on how long progression takes. Doctors do think that it takes an average of 10 years to go from CIS to invasive cancer. And some cases of CIS will never become cervical cancer (but of course some cases will so that is why you had a LEEP performed). Also, severe dysplasia encompasses CINIII and CIS because it is often very difficult to determine the difference between the two types of dysplasia.

As far as the STD talk, it is estimated that 80% of the sexually active population has HPV. Condoms do not always keep it from spreading so even if you are super careful, if you are having sex, you can get it. It is likely that you will pass it to future partners. The good news for them is men don't really have any symptoms (another reason so many people have HPV) if they are infected with a high risk strain. But they can pass it to other women they sleep with. You should always tell any partner that you are infected, but chances are very good that they already have at least one strain. Of course remember that you also can be infected with strains you don't currently have.

Your cervical abnormalities indicate a high risk strain but it is still possible you have a low risk strain. If you want to find out what strain you have there is a test but it is VERY EXPENSIVE. But your doctor can do a test at your next pap just to tell you for sure if you have a high risk strain (I had this done because I read somewhere that a positive HPV test after a LEEP was a very strong predictor of reoccurance - luckily mine was negative). I'm not sure that the HPV vaccines have passed FDA approval. I think they are expected to be on the market sometime in the next 5-10 years. I don't know that having a partner get one would be much use but if I ever have children, I'm getting them vaccinated at a young age.

The most important thing for you at this point is to make sure you go to all of your follow-up pap smears. You will always be at a higher risk for cervical and vaginal dysplasia. There is some evidence (although NONE of this is conclusive) that taking a daily vitamin and folic acid helps. There is also some evidence that hormonal birth control hurts (although this might just be because women on hormonal birth control tend to have more unprotected sex). Some early studies on mice have shown that indole-3 carbinol helps the regression of cervical lesions caused by HPV. There is also evidence that using a condom increases regression (even if you are with a single partner).

Anyway, when I was diagnosed first with a LGSIL pap and then a CINII colposcopy and then CIS after my LEEP, I did a ton of research on this topic so if you have any other questions, I'll try to help. You should know that my first pap after the LEEP came back completely normal (the second one is in Nov.).

Old 07-29-2004, 01:43 PM   #7

Lucky_me HB User

Thank you Lilyenne for your answers. I believe you know more than I do. I am still new to HPV and trying to learn. I am happy to know that you got better so it give us a lot of hope. LM, let us know how everything goes. I will have a LEEP on September and let you guys know, Hang in There!

Old 07-30-2004, 03:31 PM   #8

LM579 HB User

Hi,

Again, I want to thank everyone who has responded and wish everyone the best of luck too. This whole thing has been so very confusing, stressful, etc, and having other people that have gone through this or with similar situations has been very helpful.

Unfortnately, I am one of those people who think to much and right now my one huge worry is that I hope the doctor got it all when they performed the leep. I was told that after the leep procedure was performed they used a laser/quarterized around the area that the skin was removed to ensure everything is gone. If I am infected with HPV or had "pre-cancerous" and "cancerous" cells and now hopefully those cells have been removed, and my immune is still not able to fight it again (HPV & re-occurance of CIN3 & CIN), would it attack the new healthly cells growing or where would it go? Would it start all over or would it then invade underneath the skin? Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks again to everyone!

Closed Thread