It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2004, 08:27 AM   #1
(female)

tammys HB User
Can someone please tell me the difference between cervical dysplasia and cancer?

My sister went for a pap smear that came back abnormal. She then had a biopsy, and said the doctor said it was stage 4 cervical cancer (don't know how that was determined with a simple biopsy, thought you had to have cone biopsy to determine stage). I have done alot of research online and through friends and think maybe he told her that it was dysplasia and she misunderstood his diagnosis. She has none of the symptoms of stage 4 cervical cancer. She looks remarkably healthy but she and the whole family are terrified. So can someone please tell me what the difference is between dysplasia and cancer?

Thanks, Tammy

Old 11-28-2004, 09:10 AM   #2

scaredincollege HB User
Re: Can someone please tell me the difference between cervical dysplasia and cancer?

No, you most likely cannot tell the staging of cancer from a simple biopsy. When I had mine done I was told that I had severe dysplasia then went about a month later to get my leep conization done. I go back tommarrow for my follow-up...kind of nervous. But anyway. Dysplasia is basically where your cells are having abnormal changes but nothing deep enough in the skin to be called cancer. If dysplasia remains untreated it is highly likely that it will turn to cancer in years ahead. I doubt that it is cancer. Does your sister have HPV? I would suggest her calling the doctor to confirm the diagnosis and I would also suggest you or someone else that is close to her to be with her when she does go to the doctor and be in the room when her doctor is speaking to her because she like many others are terrified and may make a bigger deal out of the situation than neccesary because they are scared. I know I have done this and it helps to have my faithful boyfriend there beside me. I hope that I have been of some help. For information you can lways go to medical websites...but besure to use .org and .edu websties as the .com websites are ussually not professional oponions but merely reports that may be inaccurate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
(female)

tammys HB User
Re: Can someone please tell me the difference between cervical dysplasia and cancer?

Thanks for taking the time to explain things to me. You really helped with your answer. I am not sure about HPV but will be sure to ask when she sees her doctor again on Friday. Thanks again!!

Old 11-30-2004, 10:36 AM   #4
(female)

CEB HB User

According to my Dr. there are different levels of cervical dysplasia. CIN 1 is the lowest and isn't really considered technically precancerous yet. CIN II and CIN III are moderate to severe dysplasia (both), and CIN IV is cancer. That's how he explained it to me, and he drew a line diagram as well. My results showed me as beiong between II and III. My understanding was that if I hit CIN IV cancer had taken hold. Perhaps what the Dr. was telling her was that she had CIN IV which is cervical cancer? That's my best guess. As far as how they do the classes of cancer, etc. I'm not sure. If it is CIN IV then she'll need to discuss what level of treatment is required, that sort of thing. Does this make sense?

I hope things go well for your sister and I hope this information helps at least a little

Old 11-30-2004, 11:23 AM   #5

scaredincollege HB User

Your response sound pretty accurate. As I have said before, I was told I was at the stage just before cancer and I was CIN III so it only seems reasonable that CIN IV would be cancer. Thank you.

Old 11-30-2004, 11:28 AM   #6
(female)

CEB HB User

Hopefully you're doing ok now though?

Closed Thread