It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
(female)

Sadiwest HB User
Question Still confused: Leep & Dysplasia

I'm still confused after talking to the dr and reading the boards. Maybe someone can explain it to me in a language I can understand.

Had an abnormal result from a pap test about 6 weeks ago. Dr did a colposcopy/biopsy, then called me to say that the results are 'consistent with a high-grade lesion'. She even showed me the monitor during the colposcopy...it looked like a pale pink/slightly white patch of skin, when everything around it was a 'healthy pink' color. She highly recommends LEEP to be done within the next month (I'm scheduled for the 12th of January-they are actually calling it 'surgery'!) Ooooooookkkkkk. So now I've got more questions than I did before.

First of all...I'm confused about the colposcopy results. I understand that a pap is NOT a diagnosis. Isn't that what the colp/biopsy was for? Can't they TELL if it's cancer THEN?? And what does a 'high grade lesion' mean?? How 'high' is 'high grade' and what does it mean to be 'high grade' instead of anything else?

Second, once they do the LEEP, THEN what? Are they THEN able to tell if it's cancer? What happens if they don't get out all of what's there?

I asked the dr's assistant how long the procedure takes (I'm being put to sleep). She said 'it depends on the patient and how it goes'. OK, but doesn't she even have an IDEA??

I started to get the feeling like everyone was being vague on purpose. Am I being paranoid?
I'm so confused
Sandi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
Re: Still confused: Leep & Dysplasia

They will cut enough around it to get it...sometimes it can spread....So here's what will happen. I had it done...You go in and get an IV and they will wheel you in and they will put sleepy stuff in your IV and your out!! BEST SLEEP EVER!!! It can take up to an hour. They will wake you up telling you that your finished with the surgery and then you get wheeled into a recovery area where you will sit for about an hour. You will get offered a drink probably. Then you are told you can take some Tylonol and take it easy for the next few days. You will have some cramping. I didn't feel anything. Also you will bleed for a few days and you may see some black tissue come out down there, don't be scared it's just dead tissue sloughing off. You will get a pap in about four months and if it comes back normal then you will go again in four months...then you will go to every six months. If it is abnormal then more testing will be done.
It's not a bad procedure at all so don't be scared. Some people do get sick to their stomach after anestsia (spelling) I didn't, in fact I was starving and the nurses made me a butter and jelly piece of toast.
I don't know how to answer you question about the lesion...sorry. Good luck and I hope they get it all and your recovering soon.

Old 01-02-2005, 06:40 PM   #3
(female)

Sadiwest HB User

Thank you for the reply. It does help...though I'm still confused about the other stuff. It also helps so I know how to plan for a ride there and home....someone's taking me, but I don't want her to have to sit there and wait for HOURS...
Thank you, again!
Sandi

Old 01-02-2005, 11:04 PM   #4

lyn1977 HB User

Your friend will not wait long. I was not put under but given only a local shot in the cervix. That did not hurt and though scared to death, it was all over in about 10-15 minutes. The leep itself was only for maybe 5 seconds. I actually cried afterward because I had worked myself up so much for something was no big deal. I know everyone is different and even if someone had said to me not to worry, I still would have. Even afterward, maybe a little cramp here and there for the first day, but that is it. I think I am on week four and I feel great. Good luck to you!!!

Old 01-04-2005, 04:48 AM   #5
(female)

redstarr987 HB User

I was told I also have a high grade lesion but since I'm pregnant I have to wait for care. I asked the boards what a high grade lesion meant when I found out. They said it's CIN II or CIN III. It's a stage system they use. I believe CIN III is usually when they decide to intervene. If it isn't that high grade yet they wait to see if it will go away on it's own. Different doctors use different terminology to classify the dysplasia so it can be confusing. They call it a squamous lesion, and yours and mine are "high grade" The LEEP procedure is done now because the lesion is close to be coming cancer in the sense that it's the next step up, but it's not inevitable. Sometimes dysplasia will go away on it's own and other times it could take years to progress. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
(female)

Sadiwest HB User
Question Re: Still confused: Leep & Dysplasia

Thanks for the replies. I guess my only other confusion (as if that wasn't enough), is at what point do they KNOW it's IS or IS NOT cancer? After the biopsy/colposcopy or after the LEEP?
Sandi

Old 01-04-2005, 11:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

Sadiwest - the point they will truly know what cell changes are actually there is after the LEEP tissue is biopsied. That does not mean the LEEP biopsy will necessarily come back showing something different than the colpo biopsy. Most often, the LEEP confirms the original diagnosis. However, there is a small percentage of women who will be told the LEEP biopsy showed a higher grade of cells than was initially determined on colpo. I'm one of them. But please know it is a very small percentage. I think the reason for this is the colpo biopsies are tiny, and while they show a pretty accurate picture of what is going on, the only way to really know is to examine the whole lesion. Kind of like a puzzle - if you have one piece, you have an idea of what you are looking at, but once you put all the pieces together, you have a clear picture. Hope that helps...

Karen

Old 01-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
(female)

Sadiwest HB User

Karen,
thank you...that does give me a better idea of the 'big picture'. I couldn't understand why the dr can say, knowingly, that it was 'precancerous' if the pap is NOT a diagnosis (as she OFTEN told me).
It makes a bit more sense now.

Closed Thread