It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2002, 03:05 PM   #1

vamom HB User
Question ovarian or peritoneal cancer

I have been having pain and bloating in my abdomen. I am also having constipation and gas. I have had a hysterectomy and both ovaries have been removed. I didn't think cancer was possible but an email told me it was. So if anyone knows the symptoms for either cancer I have mentioned or a reason for symptoms I am having please let me know. I have had breast cancer in the past and hope that these symptoms are just IBS.

------------------
Melissa

Old 06-13-2002, 05:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Hi Melissa -
The symptoms you're having may have nothing to do with cancer. First place I would start is with a good gastroenterologist. They'd probably want to do either a GI series or a colonoscopy.

Gas and bloating can be caused by diverticulosis, which is pockets (like out-pouches) in the intestines. They trap gas and some of the food you eat, so the food stays around longer for the intestinal bacteria to work on. Sometimes a change in diet can help. Also, diverticulosis is not in itself a problem, but if the pockets get infected (which is then called diverticulitis), it's very dangerous.

It's also possible you could have Irritible Bowel Syndrome, Infectious Bowel Disease, or other bowel problems.

I know that once we've had cancer, we have a tendency to worry that every new symptom could be cancer, but remember that there are lots of other, way less life-threatening illnesses out there!

So, please see a GI doctor so you can find out what's going on.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
(female)

cynthia3 HB User
Re: ovarian or peritoneal cancer

Hi I had all those symptons for years and I just recently got diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. i had a complete hysterectomy and a part of my bowel removed. I don't want to scare you but you need to have a ca-125 blood test and a ultrasound. I hope all goes well and it is just a gastro thing. I will keep you in my prayers.

God Bless Cindy

Old 07-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
(female)

andi73 HB User

I am really interested in what people have to say on this...

quick Hx: 35 yr old, 2 kids, first ever ab pap Oct 06, HPV. Dx Nov. 06 CIN III, Adenocarcinoma in situ. cone, positive margins, abdominal hysterectomy.saved ovaries. ASCUS pap after, then finally a normal one. next test is Sept.

since oct 07 I"ve been having major IBS type symptoms. I did acupuncture and it really helped, but it got to be too costly. Relief lasted 7 months. Went to GI who didn't even do a sample or blood work, said if acupuncture was helping to stick (ha ha) with it.

symptoms came back mid-June but with this I also have bloating, gas, tired, hair loss, irritable, and extremely nauseous all day, no change in what I've eaten etc. Thought it could be stress, finally went to primary doctor who did all kinds of blood tests for thyroid, ulcers, pancreas etc that came back normal. I asked about the ca 125 and he said it wasn't warranted since it wasn't in my ovaries and that it could negatively flag my insurance. Put me on Bentyl which has helped a little, stops the bowel issues but not the nausea.
My bf mom died of peritoneal cancer and I know it goes undetected for a long time.
I guess once you've had cancer cells in your body it makes you question every little change....and worry unnecessarily but I can't stand being this queezy all the time....

Last edited by andi73; 07-25-2008 at 02:17 PM.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
(female)

TNWalker0709 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andi73 View Post
I am really interested in what people have to say on this...

quick Hx: 35 yr old, 2 kids, first ever ab pap Oct 06, HPV. Dx Nov. 06 CIN III, Adenocarcinoma in situ. cone, positive margins, abdominal hysterectomy.saved ovaries. ASCUS pap after, then finally a normal one. next test is Sept.

since oct 07 I"ve been having major IBS type symptoms. I did acupuncture and it really helped, but it got to be too costly. Relief lasted 7 months. Went to GI who didn't even do a sample or blood work, said if acupuncture was helping to stick (ha ha) with it.

symptoms came back mid-June but with this I also have bloating, gas, tired, hair loss, irritable, and extremely nauseous all day, no change in what I've eaten etc. Thought it could be stress, finally went to primary doctor who did all kinds of blood tests for thyroid, ulcers, pancreas etc that came back normal. I asked about the ca 125 and he said it wasn't warranted since it wasn't in my ovaries and that it could negatively flag my insurance. Put me on Bentyl which has helped a little, stops the bowel issues but not the nausea.
My bf mom died of peritoneal cancer and I know it goes undetected for a long time.
I guess once you've had cancer cells in your body it makes you question every little change....and worry unnecessarily but I can't stand being this queezy all the time....

Are you on any type of HRT? Sometimes an imbalance in your hormones can cause nausea. You might want to check this out with your doctor.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
(female)

TNWalker0709 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamom View Post
I have been having pain and bloating in my abdomen. I am also having constipation and gas. I have had a hysterectomy and both ovaries have been removed. I didn't think cancer was possible but an email told me it was. So if anyone knows the symptoms for either cancer I have mentioned or a reason for symptoms I am having please let me know. I have had breast cancer in the past and hope that these symptoms are just IBS.

------------------
Melissa
Hi Melissa,

Ovarian cancer is quiet rare, so the chances of your symptoms being caused from it after your ovaries have been removed are extremely remote.

As previously mentioned, your symptoms sound more like IBS, so a trip to the GI doctor would be a good starting place.

I hope you get some relief. Good luck with everything.

Closed Thread