It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 158
SLJ16 HB User
Birth control and dysplasia

this might be a stupid question. i found out i have high risk HPV and mild dysplasia. i had a LEEP last week. i was just wondering if anyone knew if birth control pills can cause dysplasia as well? im on them now and thinking about not taking them because i dont want to go through all of this stuff again.....

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-20-2005, 12:30 PM   #2
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 154
ElenaK HB User
Re: Birth control and dysplasia

Hi SLJ,

I have seen BCPs listed as a high-risk factor for dysplasia. One thing you could do is to take folic acid supplements (400-800 mcg/day) as BCPs tend to cause folic acid depletion.

I am sorry I am not more knowledgeable... Hope this helps some.


 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-20-2005, 12:35 PM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 158
SLJ16 HB User
Re: Birth control and dysplasia

elena,
thanks for responding. i just started taking a daily vitamin that has folic acid in it. i want to try to decrease my chances of having another bad pap again. i appreciate your response!

 
Old 01-20-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 150
Sugarhi16 HB User
Re: Birth control and dysplasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLJ16
this might be a stupid question. i found out i have high risk HPV and mild dysplasia. i had a LEEP last week. i was just wondering if anyone knew if birth control pills can cause dysplasia as well? im on them now and thinking about not taking them because i dont want to go through all of this stuff again.....
Somebody posted recently in another thread, I can't remember who (sorry ) that the reason birth control pills are listed as causing dysplasia is because people who take them tend to have sex more frequently and up their chances to getting HPV. I don't know if it's true or not, but my Doctor told me there is no direct relation between dysplasia and pills.

ElenaK is right, taking vitamins is a good idea because the pills do take away from folic acid, which may cause dysplasia to get worse if you have it. To get rid of the bad cells you need as many nutrients as possible.

This all really makes me wonder if there is a significant connection the pill and dysplasia? Doctors have been known to be wrong sometimes. I've been on the pill for four years now and always had clean paps until this past August. I wonder if my pills had anything to do with it? I'm in a commited relationship for the last year and proir to that I wasn't with anyone for a year and a half. How many years have you been on the pill?

Last edited by Sugarhi16; 01-20-2005 at 01:51 PM.

 
Old 01-20-2005, 02:00 PM   #5
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 158
SLJ16 HB User
Re: Birth control and dysplasia

sugarhi,
i have been on the pill for 7 years. since i was 18. and i've had 2 bad paps since i was 18. one when i was 21 and the biospy came back fine. then this year at 24 bad pap, followed by biopsy that showed mild dysplasia and an active agent of HPV. then a LEEP. so i'm just wondering if i should stay on the pill or not? i really don't want to have to go through the whole process again. my Dr. hasn't been clear with me whether i have HPV or just an agent of it? The nurse told me they were looking to see if I had HPV but the then dr. told me i had HPV???? so confusing and i was so nervous i didnt think to ask my dr. i go back for my results from the LEEP on the 2nd of Feb. so i could ask my dr. then if there is any correlation between dysplasia and the pill?

 
Old 01-20-2005, 05:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 150
Sugarhi16 HB User
Re: Birth control and dysplasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLJ16
sugarhi,
i have been on the pill for 7 years. since i was 18. and i've had 2 bad paps since i was 18. one when i was 21 and the biospy came back fine. then this year at 24 bad pap, followed by biopsy that showed mild dysplasia and an active agent of HPV. then a LEEP. so i'm just wondering if i should stay on the pill or not? i really don't want to have to go through the whole process again. my Dr. hasn't been clear with me whether i have HPV or just an agent of it? The nurse told me they were looking to see if I had HPV but the then dr. told me i had HPV???? so confusing and i was so nervous i didnt think to ask my dr. i go back for my results from the LEEP on the 2nd of Feb. so i could ask my dr. then if there is any correlation between dysplasia and the pill?
My Doctor was vague with me when it came to HPV as well. I asked him if I had it and what type was it, and he said I did, and he added that they do not type it anymore because there are so many strands. That makes me think that I wasn't even tested for it directly. Has anyone elses Doctor told them that?

However, I think for the time being I will remain on it, unless something gets drastically worse. I like being on the pill because it makes me regular. I know when my period is coming and how long it will last. When I wasn't on the pill my body never was on a regular schedule and it was awful and it would come at the worst possible moment. But on the other hand I don't want to be taking something that may be contributing to my dysplasia.

When you do talk to your Doctor can you let us know what he said? I'm intrested to see what another Doctor says about this. Thanks and Best wishes for clear margins!

 
Old 01-20-2005, 06:10 PM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 154
ElenaK HB User
Re: Birth control and dysplasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarhi16
My Doctor was vague with me when it came to HPV as well. I asked him if I had it and what type was it, and he said I did, and he added that they do not type it anymore because there are so many strands. That makes me think that I wasn't even tested for it directly. Has anyone elses Doctor told them that?

However, I think for the time being I will remain on it, unless something gets drastically worse. I like being on the pill because it makes me regular. I know when my period is coming and how long it will last. When I wasn't on the pill my body never was on a regular schedule and it was awful and it would come at the worst possible moment. But on the other hand I don't want to be taking something that may be contributing to my dysplasia.

When you do talk to your Doctor can you let us know what he said? I'm intrested to see what another Doctor says about this. Thanks and Best wishes for clear margins!

Hi Sugarhi,

I do not know why your doctor was so vague, but the HPV typing results should show clearly which strands they tested you for and whether any viral load was detected and for which strand. Yes, there are over 100 strands out there, but only a few have been connected to dysplasia. I have my HPV typing report and it clearly shows the low-risk and the high-risk strands. I would suggest you ask for a copy of your results and see for yourself.

Even if you are positive for HPV, again, it is not a cancer diagnosis. It is all about probabilities and likelihood. I got an LSIL Pap smear and they would not even have tested me for HPV because their assumption is that I am positive for the virus if I have dysplasia. Wrong! I do not have the virus, but there seems to be a lesion there...

Same with the pill. I have never taken it and here I am... I know women who have taken it all their lives and their Pap smears are better than mine! Just make sure you eat a balanced diet, take at least 400 mcg of folic acid a day, and, if you are a smoker... quit !

Hope all goes well!

 
Old 01-20-2005, 08:07 PM   #8
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 150
Sugarhi16 HB User
Re: Birth control and dysplasia

ElenaK - I wish I knew why my Doctor was so vague about HPV, I doubt he would have even told me if I hadn't learned about it on this board and asked. I just wanted to know which strand I had. I'm wondering if they just assume I have it? Do I need to have a thin prep pap to be tested for a strain or is there another test to determine that?

I'm going to be requesting copies of all my results soon, but I do have a copy of my leep path. report and it mentions nothing of HPV on there. My orginal abnormal pap came back with low grade changes and my bio. showed high grade. They were both right, the leep report says I had one high grade lesion and one low grade with clear margins.

Does any of this information tell me which strand I may have? I know I have a strand connected to dysplasia, but I want to know if I have one of the ones that is more likely to lead to cancer if not taken care of.

Well I'm glad that you think my Doctor is right about the pill because I don't want to stop taking it. After my leep I made changes to my eating habits, added beta carotene to my daily multi vitamin, and finally got my boyfriend quit smoking so I don't have to be around those awful things anymore!

Thanks for all your help and goodluck!

 
Old 01-20-2005, 08:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 154
ElenaK HB User
Re: Birth control and dysplasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarhi16
ElenaK - I wish I knew why my Doctor was so vague about HPV, I doubt he would have even told me if I hadn't learned about it on this board and asked. I just wanted to know which strand I had. I'm wondering if they just assume I have it? Do I need to have a thin prep pap to be tested for a strain or is there another test to determine that?

I'm going to be requesting copies of all my results soon, but I do have a copy of my leep path. report and it mentions nothing of HPV on there. My orginal abnormal pap came back with low grade changes and my bio. showed high grade. They were both right, the leep report says I had one high grade lesion and one low grade with clear margins.

Does any of this information tell me which strand I may have? I know I have a strand connected to dysplasia, but I want to know if I have one of the ones that is more likely to lead to cancer if not taken care of.

Well I'm glad that you think my Doctor is right about the pill because I don't want to stop taking it. After my leep I made changes to my eating habits, added beta carotene to my daily multi vitamin, and finally got my boyfriend quit smoking so I don't have to be around those awful things anymore!

Thanks for all your help and goodluck!

Hello again,

The ThinPrep does not detect HPV, it is just one method of doing a PapSmear. Its edge over the conventional Pap (smearing the sample on a slide and fixing it with a spray) is that with ThinPrep they suspend your cells in a special liquid and they can test for HPV with leftover cells from the same sample, i.e. you do not have to go back.

Assuming they did an HPV-typing test on you, chances are it is an HPV DNA Hybrid Capture II Assay. Totally different from a Pap smear. They routinely check for 5-6 low-risk strands and about a dozen high-risk ones. The report should state the names (i.e. numbers) of the strands as well as the strand(s) you may be positive for.

If your first pathological Pap smear is an ASCUS, then they tend to test for HPV. If the Pap is LSIL or higher, they do not bother: they assume that in all probability HPV caused the lesions, so why waste money. From the point of view of clinical management it makes no difference to them as you get a colpo (sigh... my first colpo coming up soon...) . For me personally, getting the HPV test (I insisted on having it!) was a big thing. Being HPV negative is the one good thing I am trying to focus on in the middle of all the stress and fear of dysplasia. On a more malicious note, I was SO glad to prove the dr wrong: there IS such a thing as non-HPV dysplasia, so why make cost-effective assumptions about me and my partner and add to my emotional load? I am in overload already! But then again, this is me being nitpicky and grumpy...

The only way to find out which strand you have (e.g. 16, 18, 31, etc.) is to ask for your HPV-typing report. It should be all there, in black and white. If, on the other hand, they have not run an HPV test on you, at this point they will only do it if you insist. This is up to you. Whatever works for you... Come to think of it, shouldn't your dr be able to tell if the cell changes are HPV-related during the colpo? I am not sure... In any case, do not add uncertainty to these hard times: ask them and be a pain in every sensitive part of their collective anatomy. They OWE you as much.

Best of luck to you and hugs!

 
Old 01-21-2005, 08:40 AM   #10
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 158
SLJ16 HB User
Re: Birth control and dysplasia

Sugarhi,
I have high risk HPV because my biopsy showed mild dysplasia. And i'm guessing that is what you have i think low risk HPV is when you have visible warts.
I will ask my dr. when i go see him for my follow up about the birth control pills. i will let you know what he says. i am hoping to get good results this time. i just want to move on with my life. this whole thing has put such a damper on me i am so happy i have this forum to go to because i have been so nervous and scared about all of this. thanks for responding to my message

 
Old 01-21-2005, 09:26 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 511
karen32 HB User
Re: Birth control and dysplasia

Elena - can I borrow your information about the HPV DNA test to share with another group I belong to? We are in the midst of that discussion and would be helpful to share that info with the other ladies. Let me know. Thanks.

karen

 
Old 01-21-2005, 10:03 AM   #12
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 154
ElenaK HB User
Re: Birth control and dysplasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen32
Elena - can I borrow your information about the HPV DNA test to share with another group I belong to? We are in the midst of that discussion and would be helpful to share that info with the other ladies. Let me know. Thanks.

karen
Absolutely! Goes without saying!



 
Old 01-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #13
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 150
Sugarhi16 HB User
Re: Birth control and dysplasia

I didn't have a thin prep pap because my insurance doesn't cover it and I don't think they did any other test on me? My abnormal pap was LSIL, so I think they just assumed that I have it. I'd really like to know what type I have, or if I even have it at all.

Is that the kind of test they can do that day when your there, or do you need to schedule it in advance? I want it done when I have to go back. I don't want to go in before I have to, I've seen them way more than I want to this year!

ElenaK - good luck with your colpo, and I hope they find nothing! A bit of advice from someone whos been there, don't worry over it. With all the stress of everyday life, there is nothing you can do but treat it and take great care of yourself so it doesn't come back if it's there, so don't waste any time you aren't at the Doctors office worrying. You are strong and will get through this!

SLJ16 - I'm not sure what kind of HPV I have, but I do not have visible warts. I do know that I had mild & moderate dysplasia. I wish you the best with getting good results. I felt 20 times better knowing that they got it all out of me. Try not to dwell on it, as I said above you can't change it, only deal with it. The less I thought about it the happier I was. I know easier said than done. Good luck, and thanks for asking your Doctor. I look forward to your post.

 
Old 01-21-2005, 03:35 PM   #14
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 154
ElenaK HB User
Re: Birth control and dysplasia

[QUOTE=Sugarhi16]I didn't have a thin prep pap because my insurance doesn't cover it and I don't think they did any other test on me? My abnormal pap was LSIL, so I think they just assumed that I have it. I'd really like to know what type I have, or if I even have it at all.

OK. If you did not have a ThinPrep (on which they can do a so-called REFLEX HPV DNA test with leftover cells) and you did not do a separate HPV test, then they do not, cannot, know for sure. With LSIL they ASSUME you are infected because from a clinical point of view it makes no difference: a colpo is the next thing. Besides, the VAST majority of LSIL cases are HPV-related. I know mine is not... (sigh)

Believe me, I know how it feels not to want to see a white coat again, I am nauseous myself with dr visits... However, if knowing will make you feel better, call them and say you want to do an HPV-typing test when you next go in. If nothing else, for your peace of mind... You may want to ask your insurance if they cover it. I suspect they do not, esp. since drs do not prescribe it for LSIL or higher (only for ASCUS/ASC-H). Mine cost approx. 180 dollars, insurance covered most of it. As I said, it is up to you, whatever you think can see you through these stressful times.

Thanks for your kind words re: the colpo... If only I had the inner strength to apply them in practice... I am hanging in there, listening to all the positive stuff and trying to ignore the horror stories...

Good luck!


 
Old 01-21-2005, 03:46 PM   #15
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 154
ElenaK HB User
Re: Birth control and dysplasia

[QUOTE=Sugarhi16]Is that the kind of test they can do that day when your there, or do you need to schedule it in advance? I want it done when I have to go back. I don't want to go in before I have to, I've seen them way more than I want to this year!

Oops... I forgot to respond to that...

For an HPV test they just collect a cell sample, same way as for a Pap Smear. Same precautions apply, i.e. no douching, tampons, vaginal medications, sex, etc. 48 hrs before the test. Make sure you schedule it when you are not having your period and you are all set. They will collect some cells from the cervix and the endocervical canal and send them off to the lab.

Hugs,


PS I am SO NOT strong, I cannot begin to describe it... but I have no choice. Either I deal with this and defeat it or it defeats me. I am so lucky to have found these boards, dr visits make me feel helpless...

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
To Use or Not to Use Birth Control Elizabeth1975 Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 2 02-05-2009 09:46 PM
birth control after CIN III happymom28 Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 3 11-03-2006 05:42 AM
Do girls usually get tested for std's and such when they get birth control pills? jason02 Birth Control 2 03-21-2006 01:45 AM
Cervical cancer and birth control pills Smiley123 Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 7 02-23-2005 11:06 AM
The birth control and Cervical dysplasia or cancer cocoeyes Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 0 09-22-2004 01:50 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:58 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!